Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am new here:D

I recently purchased an Ellsworth Moment from beyond bikes. It was sold to me as a 2006. Well after I got my frame, I took a look on the Ellsworth website, only to find that the 2006 posted there looks totaly different. On my frame the rocker arm is about 3 inches from the top tube. On the one posted on there site the rocker is right at the top tube.
Is anyone here familier with what I am talking about If so what is the difference, is my bike a 2006, a 2005, better geometry or worse?

Thanks
Jim

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
That perticular difference might just be the frame size, small vs. large. I'm not excatly sure the diference but I think it has mostly to do with the asym chainstay and the rocker arm also had minor changes. I think the geo is unchanged from '05 to '06.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like you bought a large and the pic is of a small.

05 models have a round hole in the centre of each rocker arm. 06 models have more of an oyster shaped hole.

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
Model year is irrelavant

There really is no difference between an '05 and '06 Moment, or any of their bike for that matter. Ellsworth no longer labeling their bikes with model years. They will just realease them when they are ready. So a better way to classify them is by generation. You, me, and every other Moment owner has a 1st generation frame. However, after about a year, Ellsworth released the 2nd generation rocker arms that have the funky shaped carbon brace.

The 2nd generation frame will be out probably sometime next spring. These new frames will be the first crop made in their own facility. They had prototypes at Interbike last fall. The front triangles will basically look just like the Epiphany, but with different colors and they won't be shot peened. I've heard the geometry will be the same as the current model. The chainstays will be asymetric like all the other ICT models. Basically, it'll look just like the Epiphany (minus the magnesium rockers) but have the Moment geometry. Here is the pic mtbr has, but there are better ones out there.

http://content.mtbr.com/TRP_12_212_4crx.aspx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info:thumbsup:
I kinda feel like a dummy! The obvious reason for the difference in the space between the top tube and the rocker is that I ride a large frame.
I do have the newer rocker, the one with elongated carbon specer.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
I called Ellsworth regarding the '06 Moment asymetric chainstay and they said that the '06 Moments will be the same as the '05. I am guessing that they have a lot of stock that they want to get rid off before they release the asymetric version for the Moment. I would expect to see price reductions also.

I just bought a lightly used '05 Moment, by the way. I should receive it tomorrow. I can't wait. I test rode one at a local bike shop and it felt perfect. I am upgrading from a Joker, which is a great bike also.

Theo.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Sweet, are you keeping the Joker?

I think the Moment would be in it's 3rd Gen. as the rocker brace has changed once now and the newest incarnation, with the asymm stays would make it the third iteration of the bike. Not to pic nits or anything:eek:

I saw one of the new ones at a Demo. Pretty nice, but not worth getting all bent about not having it. It's not like they went to a faux bar or anything!:yikes: :D :thumbsup:

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
Hmmmm......

chad1433 said:
I think the Moment would be in it's 3rd Gen. as the rocker brace has changed once now and the newest incarnation, with the asymm stays would make it the third iteration of the bike. Not to pic nits or anything:eek:

I don't know about you Chad... :skep:

:D

·
The Dude Abides
212 Posts
Manana

chad1433 said:
:D :D :D :D

How was the Race, BTW? We need some updates!

It's been a crazy couple of weeks. I'll get a race report thread up tomorrow. But for now, you should know it was totally kick arse! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
727 Posts
As of Interbike last year Ells had announced the 2006 Moment. It was noticeably different from the the Moment that we own up to 2005.

The change of round carbon brace to to a flat one is very minor and I wouldn't call it a generation change. My 2005 has the flat carbon brace.

In the catalog descriptions and from some pictures floating around the internet, the supposedly "2006" Moment has different tubings, different finish, different rockers and asymmetrical stays. The tubings are supposed to be proprietary and shaped, similar to the Rogue and Epiphany. The finish changed to smooth anodized with black, gray, and black/blue fade being the new colors. I have not seen a sample of the new rocker Ells spoke of. The asym stays should look like the ones on the Epiphany.

I don't think Ells is going to push out this new model for 2006 anymore. I remember there was some talk that their production is too busy with cranking out the newly designed 2006 Epiphanies and Truths and they still have an inventory of Moments so I suspect the new generation of Moment will not come out for some time.

If I'm blowing smoke Paul or Dave can come out and correct me :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Last week, EW advised me that the 05 model Moment was selling so well, that they will keep building it just like it is for a while. No 06 changes in near future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts