1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Check out the link below:
http://mombat.org/Crank_Museum.htm
Let me know what you think of the format. I would probably just do the sets of 5 pictures that you could scroll across and then put another 5 below it.

The other alternative would be this format:
http://mombat.org/Stem_Museum.htm
I don't like it as well since it just pops up the single picture w/o any description.

Anyway, just trying to figure out the best format before sinking a bunch of time into it.

Thanks for the help.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
I like the lots of photos(with a description with out having to click) on the stem page, but like the way the pics stay on the page with the cranks

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The cranks page has a more sophisticated appearance but having to scroll through 5 thumbnails at a time and mouse-over for descriptions is a usability issue when you have a lot of cranks (hopefully) in your database.
The stems page is so "ten years ago" but actually works better except that clicking on the thumbnails just gets you the small thumbnail image.
I prefer usability over sophistication so I guess I would go with the stems format.

·
I like butter
456 Posts
dontyoueatthatyellowsnow said:
Sorry off topic......But... it llooks like you got those Coda cranks you were wanting last year. Any status (pics) of the completed bike yet?
got some cranks but just lacking SACHS shifters/ders and one or two other things IIRC, I see it everyday but been too busy lately.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
timbercomp said:
got some cranks but just lacking SACHS shifters/ders and one or two other things IIRC, I see it everyday but been too busy lately.
Which Sachs shifters you after. I have a pair of the twisters going nowhere.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
First Flight said:
I guess the third choice would be another style? Anybody out there seen something that would work better for a group of pictures with captions?
You may want to consider checking out some of the many open-source content management systems available and see if any fit your plans for your site. It beats building everything yourself and helps your site keep up with current web technologies, plus they usually have all kinds of handy extra functionality already programmed in. You may want to think about wiki software or even a shopping cart program. If you think about what you are trying to do with your site, the categories, thumbnails, descriptions, and search capabilities of a shopping cart program seem to fit right in. All you would need to do is remove the "buy now" buttons. You may want to look at something like Zen Cart since it seems to have a strong user community.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I like the way the crank page opens with a nice shot of a crank. For my laptop (1680x1050), the page is too tall, though. I'm not partial to an opening page like this that I have to scroll down to see the last 1/4 of the page. I also like the way the stem page is laid out allowing you to see all the items with a brief description. A combination of the two could work well. Opening crank page like you have. Click on the crank and go to a listing of all the cranks where you can spend your next couple of hours....

Clicking on a stem picture, it might be nice if it opened up in its own separate window so you don't have to toggle back and forth and accidentally closed the whole durn page - like I just did.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ssmike said:
I like the way the crank page opens with a nice shot of a crank. For my laptop (1680x1050), the page is too tall, though. I'm not partial to an opening page like this that I have to scroll down to see the last 1/4 of the page. I also like the way the stem page is laid out allowing you to see all the items with a brief description. A combination of the two could work well. Opening crank page like you have. Click on the crank and go to a listing of all the cranks where you can spend your next couple of hours....

Clicking on a stem picture, it might be nice if it opened up in its own separate window so you don't have to toggle back and forth and accidentally closed the whole durn page - like I just did.
On the stem page, I could do an individual page for each part but that just gets into too much work for each and every item.

I have been using Frontpage since the 1998 version and haven't gotten too used to it to change. Since Microsoft isn't doing much to keep Frontpage current, it makes it a little more difficult. They only offer 3 or 4 photo gallery options, one of which I am using on the crank page. The stem page is just a table with thumbnails.

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, we'll see if anyone pays attention to this thread.

Check out http://mombat.org/Crank_Museum.htm and let me know whatcha think. The Picasa slide shows are pretty easy to put together and I can add the captions to the pictures. I was kinda afraid to get 40+ pictures all lined up with no direct access so I broke it down into three sections. Still tinkering but this seems to be a viable solution.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.