Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be in durango for the rest of July. What is the best way to do the molas to coal bank. Anyone free to go this saturday. I will be at the Junction creek campground. Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
really poor condition

We rode Molas to Coal Bank (actually, Molas to Cascade) last week. Most of it is in terrible condition right now from horse traffic. Long stretches of it were completely f*cked up, unpleasant at best, unrideable at worst. But the scenery gets 5 stars.

We ended with the Engineer Mountain Trail, which is in great shape and super fun; by far the best part of the ride (about 5mi out of 22mi). It pops out at the ranger station near the Hwy 550 switchback that crosses Cascade Creek. There's a big dirt parking lot on the right side of the highway; we shuttled between there and Molas Pass.

There's a slight re-route at the beginning of the trail, due to maintenance work being done at Little Molas Campground. It's mostly marked with signs, but there was one unmarked turn to the right off the double track, onto singletrack, that we missed the first time. Just make sure you start going uphill steeply pretty soon after passing some campsites.

For a comparable, but more enjoyable ride, you might check out Bolam-Hotel Draw (also called Blackhawk Mtn.) I haven't done it, but I was told by someone who rode it recently that it was in great shape. Have fun.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
xwildcatx said:
For a comparable, but more enjoyable ride, you might check out Bolam-Hotel Draw (also called Blackhawk Mtn.) I haven't done it, but I was told by someone who rode it recently that it was in great shape. Have fun.:thumbsup:
Haven't been there yet this year - but can attest to the awesome character of the routes in & around Blackhawk.

Yow! Amazing terrain, views to Lizard Head & beyond - and lot's of options with some 2-track in the mix, and right near where you'll be.

g

·
Registered
937 Posts
I rode Blackhawk last week; it was incredible! There were only about three snowdrifts that we had to cross over. The downhill from Blackhawk is a lot of fun. It may be possible to continue on the Colorado Trail to Corral Draw, down to Hermosa Creek, then up Hermosa to the start. This would add around 7 miles of an already full day ride, but it would eliminate the fire road decent (Hotel Draw) back to the car. Make sure Hermosa Creek is crossable at the bottom of Corral Draw before trying this (my map indicates there is a bridge here, but I'm not sure). Either way, this is one great ride!

I was pretty beat from just decending Hotel Draw, and I have previously continued on the Colorado Trail all the way to Durango, so, I know about how far it is to Corral Draw. Only consider this route if you are sure the bridge is crossable, you are feeling good, the skies are not threatening, and you bring a water filter in order to refill your water which will surely run out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Durango trails

Thanks too all from Durango. Eight years now going every summer. All the riding and people great. Rode colorado trail , Dry fork, jones, Hermosa, Keneback and much more. The bike shops and local information great. I can't say how much I like that town. Note Dr. there are great too got hurt and they patched me up and had a laugh too. When there try riding in Cortez Phills world. See ya on the trails with tybo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.