Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm bored and want it to be summer now. So a bit of a self indulgent post - pls forgive me if you find it boring.

I have my Mojo since May of this year and got to do two amazing multi day trips this year, last one first: with a friend, I went to do the "Tour du Mont Blanc", a four day trip around the highest mountain in Western Europe.

In short: Amazing! sooo much single trail, beautiful countryside, etc. The trip is about 160km and 7-8000m climbing, depending on which variations you follow. Unfortunately we got snowed on on the third day, so had to quit. Still, it's so nice that I will have to attempt again next year. A few pics if you seek inspiration for a trip in the future:

(to be continued)

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other trip was a 'transalp' from the northern side of the alps (from the Swiss / Austrian border) to Lago Maggiore in Southern Switzerland in 9 days. 550km, 16000m climbing, with the first 6 days at an average of 2000m climbing a day. Tough, at least for me, but spectacular, and with a nice sense of having made it.

Attachments

·
Seeker
5 Posts
Now you've got me wishing for summer. Though the skiing looks good for this Winter.

Great photos, looks fab.

Could you kindly elaborate on the route you took in the Mont Blanc trip, I'd like to try that next summer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fantastic pics and very inspiring. Thanks a lot. This is exactely what we need up here in Scandinavia. -10°C right now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure thing. Take most of the 'TMB' hiking trail. Unlike hikers, clockwise is better for bikers. In the south eastern corner, after you cross back from Italy to France, don't go up the col de Bonhomme, but cross further south over another col. Less bike carrying. Will have to look at the map again, though, which I don't have at hand.

The other part is north of Chamonix - there is a transition across the northern part of the loop. Would have to look up the name. Better to head down towards martigny and climb on the road again. More climbing, but less pushing again.

Cheers
jever

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Wonderful.

That stack of rocks looks like something of a tradition.

Except for that beautiful town at the end, the scenery looks remarkably like a combination of central and northern California. Bumped up a magnitude.

It's not every day we get to see trails like that. Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Gregg K: you often see little stack of rocks on top of mountains - usually they are smaller, though. Comes from a tradition of adding one on top of the existing pile, I guess for good luck.

I hope to get to ride some US trails in the future. Can imagine that Colorado and Moab must be nice. Cali also sounds very nice. So much good weather :).

·
Registered
109 Posts
awesome pics ... it reminds me a little of my Durango, CO to Moab, UT hut-to-hut trip. Seeing your pics makes want to start planning on another Durango to Moab trip ... or maybe head to the Alps! ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@comac: love the pics. One thing that I would really like (I think) about doing that kind of a trip in the US is the expanse and loneliness of the countryside. In Europe, it's sometimes a bit crowded, in that you can still see villages and roads even when you are high up in the mountains.

---
For those who are not familiar with the concept - crossing the alps is pretty popular for mountain bikers in Europe. Lots and lots of ways you can do it, though north - south is most popular, and the most frequent destination is Lake Garda in Italy, a very good biking area. I've stuck more to the Western Alps in Switzerland so far.

Next year I might try a 'sea alps' crossing, heading from Geneva to the Mediterranean via the French and Italian alps. Supposedly pretty rugged and unexplored, but also at times difficult to get through. Should take about 10 days to 2 weeks. Here's a map with the starting and end points - ignore the line between it.

If there are endurance touring enthusiasts out there who are keen for a challenge, give me a shout :).

Cheers
Jever

·
Registered
39 Posts
jever98 said:
@comac: love the pics. One thing that I would really like (I think) about doing that kind of a trip in the US is the expanse and loneliness of the countryside. In Europe, it's sometimes a bit crowded, in that you can still see villages and roads even when you are high up in the mountains.
Come to the north of Sweden or have look at the Jotunheimen in Norway. Most of the time you will be alone. Well, don't mention the weather though.... ;-)

Have you ever considered the bike-transalp event (http://www.bike-transalp.de/)? I am seriously consider doing it in 2010.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Sven: you mentioned it... the weather ;)... but a good idea.

Re transalp challenge: that is seriously hardcore. Have you looked at the distances and climbing each day? I would be interested in doing that kind of event, but training for it is a real time issue. Already the Grand Raid will be difficult to train for. If I do a multi day event, it will more likely be the cape epic in South Africa... one day...

Cheers
Jever

·
Registered
39 Posts
jever98:
Of course I have looked at the distance, 600 km and a vertical gain of 19,500 m. This is why I am interested and this is why I wrote 2010. This gives me 2009 for training. Still there is the time issue, especially if you have a kid. Anyway, everything is possible.

You need to be a team of two to start the race and I might get back to you if I can not find someone creazy enough to go for it. ;-)

Cheers

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Be aware that it is difficult to get into the event. If you don't find someone, let me know. Who knows what goes on in 2010, but maybe...

·
Registered
109 Posts
jever98 said:
@comac: love the pics. One thing that I would really like (I think) about doing that kind of a trip in the US is the expanse and loneliness of the countryside.
Large parts are very remote. We occasionally bumped into backcountry hunters, but rarely. We did take some fire roads, but took all of the alternate singletrack on the route which added to the remoteness ... definately worth a look. And, I highly recommend the alternate singletrack (if you can find it ;) ) if you go thru sanjuanhuts.com.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts