Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really interested in buying a DW Link bike. From what I've read, it seems that the DW Link is efficient enough to not ever need or want propedal. Is that the consensus? What about in a race on a long smooth fire road climb? Just wondering if I'd want to spec a shock without propedal to save a few bucks.

For reference, I'm coming off an '07 Marin QuadXC, which is quite active, as well as very efficient while pedaling. Occasionally, I'll use propedal because I have it, but I'm not sure I'd miss having the option on the Marin.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
As one who has been using Propedal on just about every ride over the last year and a half, I would not hesitate to buy a shock without it.

I'm finding that it's almost unnecessary. I'm surprised, myself. Forks, yes. Shock, no.

·
Happy when not-last.
221 Posts
It wouldn't hurt on the climbing fire roads, but it's amazingly efficient as is and really doesn't need it. On flats like that it really feels like every time you tension the chain by pedaling it stiffens up the suspension, but in a good way.

I have my RP23 set to 3, so I essentially use it as a lockout for the smooth sections, but I could just as easily leave it off.
More than once I've forgotten to turn it back off and taken some larger hits. To me at least it seems to dampen all hits not just the slow ones. $0.02

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
For an XC/marathon build I use it all the time on an rp23 setting 3 for climbing, but turn it off at the top. For steep Colorado front range rocky technical climbs I firm up the front fork, drop it to 100mm and leave propedal off and mostly finese my way up. ;)
I think allot of the x/c guys that are lighter and sometimes, superfit like the firmer settings, but remembering this is a 140mm travel bike and not really a race bike so you will find them in the vast minority compared to downhill/freeride/all mountain builds. Also, look at how Ibis is marketing the bike with Brian.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
The Mojo is very versatile and riders set them up from competitive XC to DH racing use and everything in between. Looking at the “Post your Mojo Pictures” thread, most Mojos are XC builds and speced with an adjustable platform shock (RP23) and platform adjustable fork (Float RLC or Manitou MRD). I think using a platform setting in the rear would be most useful when hard climbing in XC races when standing and pounding the pedals often occurs. When seated, platform turned off with the RP23 has nearly no bob and only interferes with bump compliance. An AM and DH race build would not have any use for platform shock or fork but a high quality compression and rebound external adjustment is very usefull for the shock and fork. The Mojo is very responsive to fine tuning by expert riders.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use the platform rp23 on 3 all the time. But see most builds as all mountain or freeride type builds. Definitely not XC race unless that category has changed. But, actually my build is "xc" to all mountain also for front range rocky single track. For XC racing I would go with a short travel frame at 110mm and 3.5 pounds.
The users with "XC" builds seem to be in minority. Look at the bikes real xc racers at the pro level are riding....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I use the platform rp23 on 3 all the time. But see most builds as all mountain or freeride type builds. Definitely not XC race unless that category has changed. But, actually my build is "xc" to all mountain also for front range rocky single track. For XC racing I would go with a short travel frame at 110mm and 3.5 pounds.
The users with "XC" builds seem to be in minority. Look at the bikes real xc racers at the pro level are riding....
Whatever....:rolleyes:
I will defend my fat lil build as XC !
But, no really, I just road the bike on a trail I usually reserve for my short travel bike. With the front fork locked down and propedal max with rebound set min. < easy to do on the fly cause fox set it up so when you throw the lever to left and spin rebound to left it is a massive almost lockout. (Also, to quickly switch back simply spin rebound all way as you switch lever to right in the same direction. btw, fyi --- a min rebound setting helps much with any shock that does not have a lockout)
Anyway back to the point, wow even on this relatively smooth trail, it is just an amazing bike it is almost like riding my short travel fuel locked out. Just really quite an amazing all around bike.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only do the occasional XC race, so that isn't the main purpose. And I tend to only race the long races or really rocky courses, so good suspension action is almost always a benefit.

But in the grand scheme of things, the $$ savings by downgrading from an RP23 isn't alll that much, and what if I move and have a long pavement section to get to the trail?

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
151 Posts
if you stand much

PP makes a real difference, esp. if you stand and crank...so if that is a part of your riding, you might want to get it. While it may not be right for you, don't buy the 'it doesn't make a difference on the mojo' line. It can make a big difference, even with this efficient bike, but that difference may not be of value to you in your riding.

It is especially easy to use and valuable (for me) in SE Idaho, where pretty much every ride is up-up-up going in, all down going out-- I lock out and crank uphill, then release and come down. I only turn it off on climbs if it gets really rocky. I love the firmness of pp set at 3 when I stand.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
If you stand and crank hard, you will need the propedal. Without it, you will get bob and you will lose traction on loose and steep climbs unless you can put more weight on the handlebar and stand-spin smoothly...an energy-sapping move if done over and over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.