Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2010 or 2011 Mojo SL take a tapered fork? I couldn't find a spec on Ibis's web page.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
clewttu said:
no, 1-1/8"
Correct. Which is a bummer, because the fork to run on the SL is the 2011 RS Revelation world Cup Carbon 15mmTA, but this fork only comes in a tapered steer tube.:madman:

·
Registered
417 Posts
xc71 said:
Correct. Which is a bummer, because the fork to run on the SL is the 2011 RS Revelation world Cup Carbon 15mmTA, but this fork only comes in a tapered steer tube.:madman:
I think/hope it's only a matter of time until Ibis comes out with a tapered head tube for the SL, as they offer it on the HD, and manufacturers seem to be moving in this direction. But I do wonder when/if it's coming...

·
Registered
402 Posts
getbusyliving said:
I think/hope it's only a matter of time until Ibis comes out with a tapered head tube for the SL, as they offer it on the HD, and manufacturers seem to be moving in this direction. But I do wonder when/if it's coming...
When I was looking to get my Mojo I sent an email to Ibis asking if any of the HD features would trickle down, tapered head tube being on of them.

They had no plans to change the SL as the cost of changing the moulds would be too much.

I am perfectly happy with the 1 1/8" steerer and 20mm fork axle, but wonder if in the future fork choice will become limited as more manufacturers shift to the tapered standard.

·
Registered
417 Posts
shiny said:
They had no plans to change the SL as the cost of changing the moulds would be too much.
That's too bad. Although they may change their minds if fork selection becomes an issue. These little tech changes is where the big manufacturers can really stick it to the little guys.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
getbusyliving said:
That's too bad. Although they may change their minds if fork selection becomes an issue. These little tech changes is where the big manufacturers can really stick it to the little guys.
Agreed, this is getting ugly. Case in point - after getting shot down on running the RS REV WC carbon on the Mojo SL, I decided to run the new RS Sid WC carbon 120mm, 15mmTA on my Scott Spark RC - nope, if you can believe it, only comes in tapered steer tube:madman: There is a way around this with the Spark in that cane creek has a new product that converts 1 1/8 44mm internal lower headtubes to except 1.5 steer tube.Problem is it adds a good chuck of weight as well as 12mm stack height to the bottom of the headtube.:madman:
The thing that is a real piss off is this fork is designed for lightweight XC race bikes, but most of those bikes are using straight 1 1/8 steer tubes.:nono:
Ended up going for light weight & plush travel (not the stiffest set up though) DT Swiss XRC 100 Race.

·
screamer
1,358 Posts
ugly? seriously?

I think the standard 1 1/8" steerer still has a year or two left in it. Right now the SL is pretty amazing value at $2150 for frame, compared to, say $2500 for the BlurLTc. Would you pay an extra $350 for the ability to run a tapered fork? I sure as hell wouldn't. Way better business move to keep the price low with the current frame mold at the expense of losing a handful of princess-and-pea customers who are going to notice the .2lb loss and marginal stiffness benefit of the tapered steerer (not to mention able to pony up the $3-400 upcharge on those forks).

In a couple of years the SL will be ready for an update, incorporating some of the other features found in the HD. That's the time to make the change.

And to address the OP's question, I'm loving my 150mm Revelation Team (2010, 20mm axle), of course standard steerer. Best fork I've ever owned, NO complaints with stiffness.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
budgie said:
I think the standard 1 1/8" steerer still has a year or two left in it. Right now the SL is pretty amazing value at $2150 for frame, compared to, say $2500 for the BlurLTc. Would you pay an extra $350 for the ability to run a tapered fork? I sure as hell wouldn't. Way better business move to keep the price low with the current frame mold at the expense of losing a handful of princess-and-pea customers who are going to notice the .2lb loss and marginal stiffness benefit of the tapered steerer (not to mention able to pony up the $3-400 upcharge on those forks).

In a couple of years the SL will be ready for an update, incorporating some of the other features found in the HD. That's the time to make the change.

And to address the OP's question, I'm loving my 150mm Revelation Team (2010, 20mm axle), of course standard steerer. Best fork I've ever owned, NO complaints with stiffness.
Yes seriously, but I'm refering to Rock Shox making a lightweight XC race fork for XC racers in a taper steer tube only, when the majority of their bikes have straight steer tubes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm looking at the possibility of using the cane creek xx44 lower 1.5 cup into the botom of the zero stack steer tube on my mojo sl which if it works, would allow for a tapered fork. It's all pretty confusing, bu the zero stack giant frames will allow for this and I'm thinking that the mojo will too, but I have to see if the carbon fiber inside will allow for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way of running a tapered fork on the mojo SL. I have the same problem and am looking for any solutions other then selling the fork or purchasing new uppers

Thanks

·
Registered
607 Posts
Can a tapered steerer tube simply be changed with straight one?
Or if a custom headset will work? If it would, somebody would make and sell some already, wouldn't it?

anyway, I think you can order custom headset from Works or this guy: Ofanaim.net » Head Angle Set

thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts