Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am off to Downieville and Tahoe for 10 days. I am bringing both my Mojo and VPfree, but I am highly considering taking the Mojo down Big Boulder...

But, my VPfree would sure be fun on that trail as well! I would love the Mojo for the climb...

I guess because I am new on the Mojo, I still have reservations about the carbon and not hammering it on a long, rocky downhill ride. Do I need to let go of that fear and use this bike on any trail I want? Ughhggh!

·
Registered
890 Posts
That depends on how much climbing. I climbed a bit over 3,000 feet this weekend and thee first 1,300 or so was the forest service road that is used to access the trails. I sure was glad I had the Mojo. It took the downhills in stride too but the DHs were not like rockgarden downhills either. After four hours of hard cranking, I was thanking the Mojo for showing up to this one.

I think given the amount of climbing involved around here, I'm taking the Mojo regardless of terrain. I have not been to Tahoe (to ride) but if the rocks are smoother and more rounded instead of totally jagged, I would not even worry about it. Life is too short to worry and bikes can be replaced or even repaired, in the case of carbon. Just don't worry and you will have twice the fun.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,261 Posts
lerbysuck said:
So, I am off to Downieville and Tahoe for 10 days. I am bringing both my Mojo and VPfree, but I am highly considering taking the Mojo down Big Boulder...

But, my VPfree would sure be fun on that trail as well! I would love the Mojo for the climb...

I guess because I am new on the Mojo, I still have reservations about the carbon and not hammering it on a long, rocky downhill ride. Do I need to let go of that fear and use this bike on any trail I want? Ughhggh!
As long as you don't plan on whacking into any bridge abutments going 40 mph, you should be fine on the Mojo.:thumbsup:

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I'm not familiar with "Big Boulder" ride (Chimney Rock?), but for the famed Downieville Downhill - Butcher Creek, and the 3 Divide trails - the Mojo would be the better bike. The VPFree would be overkill for much of that ride, but more useful on Northstar's trails than the Mojo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you will not regret riding the mojo @ downieville

Rode most of those trails this year on mojo. Extra travel and weight not necessary. You will appreciate the low weight and rear end anti-squat when climbing at altitude and when you get to those short sharp rocky climbs down low.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I rode my Ransom on the Big Boulder ride a couple of years ago - didn't hit any sharp rocks and the carbon didn't get the slightest bit buffed or scratched - the Mojo will be fine and a good bike for that ride. There's some significant UP on the ride, and if the weather is hot the lighter bike will be appreciated as you grunt up the rocks. Have a great time!

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
I've never ridden Big Boulder although I have heard many references to it. How's it compare to the rocky sections of Butcher? I wouldn't think twice about riding it on any terrain that resembles Butcher and I ride the Mojo down worse stuff here in the bay area w/o any reservations....more like "HECK YEAH....now the fun begins!" :D

Is Big Boulder generally DH? There seems to be quite a bit of climbing but in reference to what? How many vert ft? I'm loosely planning on going to Dville mid-Aug and am thinking about trying other trails beside the "downhill" (Butcher, 1st, 3rd divide). Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
ddraewwg said:
I've never ridden Big Boulder although I have heard many references to it. How's it compare to the rocky sections of Butcher? I wouldn't think twice about riding it on any terrain that resembles Butcher and I ride the Mojo down worse stuff here in the bay area w/o any reservations....more like "HECK YEAH....now the fun begins!" :D

Is Big Boulder generally DH? There seems to be quite a bit of climbing but in reference to what? How many vert ft? I'm loosely planning on going to Dville mid-Aug and am thinking about trying other trails beside the "downhill" (Butcher, 1st, 3rd divide). Thoughts anyone?
Big Boulder is fun. I rode it on my RX-100 with no problem. The Mojo would be perfect for that trail. The climb (after the Baby Heads, hang a right and start climbing instead of descending into Pauley Creek) is technical at first with lots of loose rock, which the Mojo will just eat-up. Then you have some great single track downhill (tougher than 3rd Divide but not difficult) that connects to either Butcher of 3rd Divide (I can't remember which, but it isn't that far from 3rd Divide). Regarding other trails, there seems to be a ton of cool paces to ride near the Lake Basins area, which is where I want to explore next time I get out to DVille.

·
2,031 Posts
GMM said:
Big Boulder is fun. I rode it on my RX-100 with no problem. The Mojo would be perfect for that trail. The climb (after the Baby Heads, hang a right and start climbing instead of descending into Pauley Creek) is technical at first with lots of loose rock, which the Mojo will just eat-up. Then you have some great single track downhill (tougher than 3rd Divide but not difficult) that connects to either Butcher of 3rd Divide (I can't remember which, but it isn't that far from 3rd Divide). Regarding other trails, there seems to be a ton of cool paces to ride near the Lake Basins area, which is where I want to explore next time I get out to DVille.
Thanks. I just took a look at the map on Yuba's site: http://yubaexpeditions.com/pages/packermap.html

I've ridden Butcher many times but I don't ever recall seeing another trail at the intersection of 2nd and 3rd Divide. Would you ride Butcher down then take Big Boulder up? Then come back down? Or would you get dropped off at the "normal" shuttle drop at the top of Packer and ride around to the top of Big Boulder? I don't see any trail names leading from Packer to Big Boulder....but I guess those trails marked in green are what you would take?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
ddraewwg said:
Thanks. I just took a look at the map on Yuba's site: http://yubaexpeditions.com/pages/packermap.html

I've ridden Butcher many times but I don't ever recall seeing another trail at the intersection of 2nd and 3rd Divide. Would you ride Butcher down then take Big Boulder up? Then come back down? Or would you get dropped off at the "normal" shuttle drop at the top of Packer and ride around to the top of Big Boulder? I don't see any trail names leading from Packer to Big Boulder....but I guess those trails marked in green are what you would take?
The only way I have done it is by geting dropped off at the normal shuttle drop-off, and instead of dropping Butcher heading up (north) on the fire road 93-3. You will then make a left at the Gold Valley / Pauley Creek intersection and start descending the infamous 'baby head' section of the xc race course. At the bottom of the trail you will cross a creek followed-up by a steep short climb (I always walk it). Soon after that going straight will take you to the Pauley Creek trail, but you will instead turn right onto the Big Boulder trail which I think is marked Smith Lake OHV, or something to that effect. In any event, it is the first trail that heads-up to the right instead of down. Youl will definately start off with a challenging climb before you get to enjoy the descent on Big Boulder.

By the way, you will want to purchase a better map than the free one on the web. They are marked much better.

IBIS fans sorry for the Downieville commercial. On to your regularly scheduled program.

·
2,031 Posts
GMM said:
The only way I have done it is by geting dropped off at the normal shuttle drop-off, and instead of dropping Butcher heading up (north) on the fire road 93-3. You will then make a left at the Gold Valley / Pauley Creek intersection and start descending the infamous 'baby head' section of the xc race course. At the bottom of the trail you will cross a creek followed-up by a steep short climb (I always walk it). Soon after that going straight will take you to the Pauley Creek trail, but you will instead turn right onto the Big Boulder trail which I think is marked Smith Lake OHV, or something to that effect. In any event, it is the first trail that heads-up to the right instead of down. Youl will definately start off with a challenging climb before you get to enjoy the descent on Big Boulder.

By the way, you will want to purchase a better map than the free one on the web. They are marked much better.

IBIS fans sorry for the Downieville commercial. On to your regularly scheduled program.
Thanks......I'll definitely consider doing a loop on Big Boulder. Thanks for the info.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,686 Posts
ddraewwg said:
Thanks......I'll definitely consider doing a loop on Big Boulder. Thanks for the info.
One additional comment: after the famous babyhead downhill, make a left at the bottom. This will take you to the creek crossing, etc. Going straight goes nowhere. Speaking from experience. :)

Bigboulder downhill drops you at the beginning of 3rd divide right after the climb. BTW, the first mile of climbing BigBoulder tends to suck the big one (steep and rocky), but then it levels off a bit and the views at the top are spectacular. The single track downhill afterwards is awesome. Sorry for the threadjack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.