Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
OregonMojo
45 Posts
The frame does NOT come with a headset.

To quote from the Mojo setup guide:
"Headset: The Mojo Carbon uses the integrated headset based on the Cane Creek IS standard. These are available from FSA Components, Cane Creek, and probably others. In our kits we use either the FSA Orbit IS or the Cane Creek IS-2."

I personally used the Cane Creek Solos IS in Red.

Both of the models you linked will work.

·
OregonMojo
45 Posts
An after-thought . . .

Noticed the $41 price listed at Jenson in your link for the IS-2, which is the suggested list price.

You might want to check out www.universalcycles.com where they have it in stock for $30, and will price match it at $27.33 if you request.

I have found Universal Cycles to be very good on prices and stock, and amazing at matching other prices you can find on-line. I recently ordered ~$2,000 worth of components (17 in all) from them and price-matched 12 of those for an additional couple hundred extra off. They respond to your price match request in less than 1 minute! And during August try coupon codes VIP10 or VIP15 for 10% off $100 or more, or 15% off $300 or more of non-price-matched stuff.

And I obviously agree with noshortcuts - the Solos IS is absolutely worth the extra ~$50 for smoother operation, less maintenance and longer life, not to mention the colors if you're into that :cool:

Universal currently has all six colors of the Solos IS in stock for $78 . . . take 15% off that if your order grows, and you're only talking an additional $40.

No, I am NOT affiliated in any way with Universal -- just a happy customer (and they are just 1.5 hours away from me, so I pick up large orders on site!).

Have fun with your build

·
Registered
85 Posts
headset help

i just got this headset from eBay and it fits loosely is it supposed to be this way cause i thought it supposed to be pressed in did i get wrong one?
FSA Orbit IS-Carbon Headset 8mm X 1-1/8 Inch Black

·
Registered
732 Posts
The IS headset isn't pressed in like the traditional headsets which use a special tool to press in the cups. It's normal for the cups to have some play. Just make sure you set the preload on the headset bolt and you'll be on your way. :)

·
OregonMojo
45 Posts
Well, the relevant specs are identical to my Solos IS and the standard FSA Orbit IS mentioned in Ibis' Mojo setup guide, so it seems it should fit nice & snug . . . that's the whole point of the "IS" standard (though that is redundant :nono: ). My Solos IS fit in with absolutely no play the first try, after pre-loading (have you pre-loaded yet???).

But when I was doing my build research, I noticed that FSA lists their IS headsets as road headsets and not mtb headsets . . . shouldn't mean much, but it caught my eye. Also noticed that although the Mojo build guide lists the FSA IS as one of two headsets used in their kits, it is in fact not listed in any of the three builds available directly from Ibis - the Cane Creek IS comes in all three kits. Also figured you couldn't beat the 10-yr warranty on the Solos.

Integrated headsets do NOT need to be "pressed" into the frame.

You might double-check the headset you received. FSA makes integrated headsets for all three standards - from their web site "Cane Creek Standard integrated headsets use a 35°x45° angular contact bearing (blue seal), Campagnolo a 45°x45° ACB (yellow seal), and TH a 36°x36° bearing (red seal)." You need the Cane Creek Standard for the Mojo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
headset help

here is the whole description and thanks for the help i knew i could count on you guys, FSA Orbit IS-Carbon Headset 8mm X 1-1/8 Inch Black, New!

Cane Creek compatible integrated style Bearings fit directly into headtube.

Patented alignment tip for increased durability and performance. TH brand 36/45 degree Micro Angular Contact Bearings. 7075 alloy crown race. Laser etched aluminum top cap. Carbon fiber 8mm stack height. Does not include compression device.

Weight - 62 grams

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
that will work

fastmq said:
here is the whole description and thanks for the help i knew i could count on you guys, FSA Orbit IS-Carbon Headset 8mm X 1-1/8 Inch Black, New!

Cane Creek compatible integrated style Bearings fit directly into headtube.

Patented alignment tip for increased durability and performance. TH brand 36/45 degree Micro Angular Contact Bearings. 7075 alloy crown race. Laser etched aluminum top cap. Carbon fiber 8mm stack height. Does not include compression device.

Weight - 62 grams
that's the right kind. The 8mm stack hight is good. Some come taller. If it's too tall, you'll be stuck. If it's too short, you can add spacers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts