Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for a new Trail/Enduro bike which will replace my old Specialized Enduro.
I really like the Tracer VP but now I saw that a new Mojo HD will be available soon.
The Mojo will be lighter for sure but what about the suspension? Is the Tracer superiour over the Mojo suspension Design?
And what about the overall ride characteristics of both bikes?

·
Help I've Fallen
132 Posts
I just recently switched from a SC Blur LT II to an Ibis Mojo SL and will never ride any other bike again. I would vote for the Mojo HD but I ride my SL every where my buddy rides his Enduro.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
A crunchy treat
208 Posts
thefriar said:
If you're going to potentially crash in a rock garden, you might want to think more about the Tracer. Also, depending on your weight I'd shy away from the Mojo b/c of the carbon.
You're running on outdated information there. New carbon frames are stronger than alu counter-parts, so there's no worries about the rider weight. Also; any crash that will make a carbon frame unrideable will certainly make a frame of any other material unrideable.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Carrot said:
You're running on outdated information there. New carbon frames are stronger than alu counter-parts, so there's no worries about the rider weight. Also; any crash that will make a carbon frame unrideable will certainly make a frame of any other material unrideable.
Not quite. Allow me to get into a little more detail. I'm going to be building a carbon niner air this season with Edge carbon AM wheels, I weigh in at 250 geared, and I ride a carbon road bike. By virtue of buying Edge carbon AM wheels and trusting them, I am definitively pro carbon.

But for an "HD" bike its not where I'd look for frame material, at least in its current iteration from ibis, maybe if we were talking Boeing or Airbus US/Euro Aerospace grade carbon, but to my knowledge Reynolds, Edge, RaceFace, and a few small shops are the only ones using that quality material and craftsmanship. For an XC bike that sees no air or minimal tech time, its awesome.

When I talk about cracking carbon and disabling the frame I'm talking the kind of hit that dents Alu but will crush/crack carbon, ie. seat stays and chain stays. See KRob's Interbike review of the Carbon Blur.

Regarding rider weight, my riding buddy is 240lbs and he managed to crack the bottom bracket of his Mojo while riding the local trails, twice, he wasn't riding aggressively. The shop that carried Ibis where I am doesn't carry them any longer because of continuous issues with the bikes, not sure if it was all carbon issue related. However the fact that they were dropped by one of the better shops in the area for QC issues can't be very positive.

I wouldn't mind givng the Mojo HD a spin if I knew I'd get taken care of quickly if the bike sustained "HD" carbon related injury. However, given I don't want to worry about taking that line too quick, hitting that drop, skinny, or rock garden, I'll stick to my Tracer VP. Buying an "HD" bike and having reservations about the bike's capabilities is selling your riding abilities short.

Now if you can afford to replace the HD on your own dime without batting an eye, might be one of the best bikes in its category (ignoring the personal injury potential from the frame having a catastrophic failure with you on it).

On the Tracer VP, I've taken it on 4-5 hour rides, taken it off 6' drops, rolled big steep rollers, and ridden/attempted every skinny that I'm comfortable with. I won't push it past 6' since I'm big and I don't want to find out if the bike can go bigger, if I were 180#s I'd say you could go 8-10' with a coil shock. I've only ever run the bike in 5.5" mode and never felt it inadequate.

Its a fast bike and climbs incredibly well, I can drop riders that would wait for me when I was on my Enduro SL, my riding has improved but the bike has helped me get there. Its not as stiff as a Knolly Endorphin but I've never felt it to be noodlely under my 250#/120kg riding weight. I'd buy it again in a heart beat over the Mojo HD, but the Turner RFX though... that's another story.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Carrot said:
My friend's carbon trail bike [model/maker left out on purpose, but a top manufacturer] lasted 2 months before the chainstay broke. His previous aluminum version of the same/similar bike lasted over 3 years. He is 6'3", over 200lb. Warranty covered it. I think IBIS has a 3 year warranty. The issue is what happens after that when your frame breaks? Also, it isn't necessarily the direct impact, but stress over time leading to failure if certain areas get damaged from crash, etc.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Tintr said:
Not that its a deal breaker but i can not stand the cable routing on the mojo lineup!
Guess that's the Aquiles' heels of the Mojo. But as you said, not a deal braker, the bike is amazing. DW links are really effective and give an outstanding feeling of control to the bike, any way you, flat, up or down. And it can actually hold up big stuff very well. I ride my SL pretty rough and even more agressivelly than my 575. I'm not a smooth rider, no way, so I a HD may be in my future, as I will leave the SL be my XC/Trail bike of choice.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Cable0guy said:
My friend's carbon trail bike [model/maker left out on purpose, but a top manufacturer] lasted 2 months before the chainstay broke. His previous aluminum version of the same/similar bike lasted over 3 years. He is 6'3", over 200lb. Warranty covered it. I think IBIS has a 3 year warranty. The issue is what happens after that when your frame breaks? Also, it isn't necessarily the direct impact, but stress over time leading to failure if certain areas get damaged from crash, etc.
Ibis has a nice crash replacement that may come in handy if you run out of skills or luck, even when the 3-year warranty runs out. Of course, it comes with a small charge for it, but guess that's a nice plus, since you know that can happen anytime. But guess Intense and Yeti and several others have crash replacement warranty for their bikes too.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
What thefriar said. Although I don't sell Ibis, I service quite a few of them around here. We live and ride in really rocky terrain. I know more than a few guys that have killed Mojos (SL and normal) by crashing in rock gardens with the carbon not being able to take an impact. Another local's carbon frame from a highly respectable mfg cracked on the downtube from a rock kicked up by the front tire.

On the other hand, I crashed and bent the sh!t out of the rear cstay on my Tracer VP. It did a few months of riding duty before I was able to have it replaced.

VPP and DW are both really great designs that ride really well. I'm personally not a fan of carbon in rocky terrain, though. If you're still hot after DW, also check out a Turner 5Spot.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't troll magazines like I used to but the reviews I have read on the DW link are mediocre to good. I have read some UK mtb mags and the US ones as well. I admittedly haven't read every article on the DW link but I am surprised by the disparity between riders and testers. Usually if a design is as good as the riders say the mtb mags are all over it. Like when the VPP came out or the horst link.

But in the end I trust the every day riders, this whole site is dedicated to that principle. I have not heard other DW bikes as highly praised as the Mojo.

·
A crunchy treat
208 Posts
Fair enough you guys speaking from experience, sounds like the problem is with poor manufacturing/choice of weave. Generally speaking if you use the right weave/grade of CF and have sacrificial layers, it'll be stronger and still lighter than Alu.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Carrot said:
Fair enough you guys speaking from experience, sounds like the problem is with poor manufacturing/choice of weave. Generally speaking if you use the right weave/grade of CF and have sacrificial layers, it'll be stronger and still lighter than Alu.
On paper carbon bikes are amazingly strong. If you apply controlled forces to them they should out perform the same design out of aluminum. However, carbon really doesn't like impacts, gouges, our scratches. I've seen aluminum DH bikes with massive dents in downtubes and swingarms that go on for years without a problem. Impacts like that against carbon will bring about its failure.

With that being said my new trail bike is full carbon, which I am a bit worried about, but my FR and DH bikes are aluminum and will continue to be.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
Fadl said:
Hi, I am looking for a new Trail/Enduro bike which will replace my old Specialized Enduro.
I really like the Tracer VP but now I saw that a new Mojo HD will be available soon.
The Mojo will be lighter for sure but what about the suspension? Is the Tracer superiour over the Mojo suspension Design?
And what about the overall ride characteristics of both bikes?
I just barely sold my Tracer VP and owned a Mojo last year/this spring. Putting aside how the bikes fit, I'd tip my hat to the Mojo if you can get past the carbon part. The feel and performance of the DW Link (from a layman) is a bit nicer than the VPP 2-unless you're more of a climber.

Having said that, my Mojo's swing arm cracked after a casing a small wall of ice while competing but I doubt an aluminum bike would have faired much better. Upside to the experience was that Ibis had a new swing arm out to me no questions asked. I emailed them on a Sunday and had the new swing arm by Wednesday. No waiting for anyone to review anything and I just had to ship the broken one back to them in the same box.

If it were me, I'd hold out a few more months and go with the Mojo HD. The numbers on that bike look really nice.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a mojo with no problems and I beat on it in Northeast rocky terrain. i only weigh 170. I really like the DW link, moreso for climbing. The bike does not sag into the travel when climbing, but also react to every bump on the way up. If carbon scares you, take a closer look at the Turner 5-spot. Same design, different material, and you can use a 160mm fork.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.