Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of taking my small ring off my cranks and going 1x9 as I haven't used the small rind except on very short climbs for the last couple of rides. Well I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible but obviously want it to work efficiently as well.
So I was thinking of running an MRP 1.x but not sure i this will be suitable at keeping the chain on, i have never run a bike with a chain device before.
What do you use on yours and is it effective?

Many thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh I have started to get used to it, just need to reduce the power through the pedals while changing gear, but would quite like something to keep the chain a bit tighter, how much tension does the stinger put on the chain while in the small ring at the front? (not that is probably quite as important as the big ring)

cheers

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
If you take out the big ring you'd need to resized the chain. I did the normal resizing then add a few more links. Aside from crisper shifting with tighter chain a bit slack chain made no effect on chain coming off the ring because the roller puts constant tension on the chain preventing it from creating a wave to slacken the tension in the front ring. I hope I'm explaining this right.

·
Registered
830 Posts
im using 1x9 setup on my IBIS MOJO CARBON... other than it bouncing off the front sprocke 3x on the single track yesterday its worked perfect.. (need a guide setup)
36t up front w/ 11x34 out back.... lots of uphill here in town and it works pefect for me.... i can also climb most of the hills on the powder lines single track in top gear...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still not gone for the change as I am really wanting a chain device which will tension he chain aswell as keeping my same set-up elsewhere. So is here anything around? I know of the e13 and mrp but not sure if these will fit on a regular mojo as they are really designed around the hd and SL???

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm running the Mojo SL-specificMRP Lopes SL guide on my 2007 Mojo. Works great as far as keeping the chain on. The lower guide is fragile and I broke 2 since March 2011. MRP was helpful and sent me replacements and the tech I spoke with said they are working to make it more durable. Was running a Stinger when I was running a double and it still would suck if I tired to shift underpressure. I won't go back to a double on the Mojo and I'm sticking with Lopes SL since it bolts to the pivot. All the bb mount guides will move eventually on the Mojo..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.