Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mojo has taken some damage to the underside of the lower swingarm where the chain has rubbed. I never realized the problem until cleaning it the other day, it seems to rub when I'm in the small chainring and one of the smaller cogs (rarely happens), and just falls between the frame protector and the chrome chain guard.

It appears that it rubbed just through the rubber paint, and maybe into the carbon just barely.

Any suggestions for what to coat/protect it with? Epoxy? Fingernail polish? Is there anything bad to use that would react poorly with the paint or carbon?

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Call Ibis

they may have touch up kits

in the meantime get some helicopter tape to prevent any more damage..its only cosmetic but why make it worse

Frame skin guy has some kits. I use a combination of helicopter tape cut to fit (cheap and easy to do) with a rubber frame wrap along the swing arm. The rubber material jas made my mojo almost silent

·
boba
133 Posts
Use a rubber

I don't have a photo available, but on our Ibis's, we wrap the lower chainstay in an inner-tube which has been split to be about 1.25inches wide. Start at the pivot end and wrap it over itself to hold itself in place. Mostly cover the metal protector and work your way to the back of the bike. The rubber not ony protects all parts of the chainstay but quiets the bike and if done neatly looks just fine. We started with the Ibis chain stay protectors, but they do not go far enough forward to protect from the damage you have experienced. I zap tie the end but tape will do, either electricians or hockey tape. I also do the same on the upper chainstay for about 5inch of length to proect it where the chain bounces up when in rough terrain, but this is not all that necessary.

bob, Comox.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

I'll check with Ibis to see if they have touch up kits, if not then I'll use a 2-part epoxy which I use for my composite kayak. I'll wrap the area with rubber, which I've done on other bikes, since my Ibis chainstay protector doesn't quite reach to that spot.

Thanks again!

Patrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.