Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These two are both so similar... and I'm having a hard time choosing. The 5010 was announced just the other day and both backs are very close in terms of the numbers on paper. Which would be the "more fun" bike? SC doesn't have a very detailed specs list and they have yet to respond on fork specs allowed on their frames.

Like I mentioned in other posts this mid-travel FS bike I'm planning to build will be a from scratch project, and I know either will put a huge smile on my face, I just want the biggest smile ;) lol... The SC has more versatility with more shock options than the Mojo I believe... and probably a more burly frame. GAH! What do you all think?

·
West Chester, PA
4,930 Posts
Their numbers are extremely close. Hard to say. If I was buying a complete bike, I'd be ordering an ibis. The parts specs at all the pricepoints are better values. The SLX mojo in particular.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I haven't ridden the new versions, but demoed the previous ones and found the Mojo to be a more fun, playful bike. The SC always have a solid but a little dead feel to me.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I own a 5010 v3, and love it. If I were buying today, I'd probably choose the SLX mojo4.

I'd guess that you could put a dpx2 (inverted) and still fit a water bottle. The dpx2 wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.... don't really have long, extended downhills here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bird looks good but I'm looking for a Carbon FS. Which is why I pitted these two together. I've never tested either D-W nor VPP this will be my first FS bike.

I was thinking of doing the same thing (if it were at all possible) inverting the rear shock so the reservoir would face towards the top tube... but it would seem the reservoir would be too wide. I'm interested in a DPX2 and a Fox 36 Factory 150mm 44mm rack (I was told by Will, no more than 44mm rack due to stability issues)...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've always found the Ibis bikes to be a little more fun and the SC bikes to be a little more utilitarian in ride feel. JMO. Also don't discount aesthetics if all else is equal. I once had a bike that made me cringe every time I stepped into the garage (Pivot Mach 4 Carbon-27.5). The new SC bikes aren't that bad, but that new lower shock placement makes pretty fugly bikes IMO. Some hate the organic look of the Mojos but I much prefer them to the Santa Cruz frames. I know, I know, it's just a bike, not a wife/girlfriend, but if I'm not stoked to see it and get on it then I might not ride it as much. Kinda like a girlfriend...

Reactions: thenry

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bike is an investment and the time spent riding and having fun with the bike can be comparable to that of a girlfriend/wife. Obviously, if you like what you see in a woman you're going to keep looking at her and wanting to "ride" her too, heh. Also, having fun with her will directly represent having fun hitting the trails too... so, it's a good analogy that you've picked.

I have an Ibis DV9 and she is very aesthetically pleasing. I do like the design cues and flow of how Ibis makes their bikes. I also have an Orbea Loki (Also a Laufey) and their bikes are sick too... I haven't been very fond of the jagged sharper looks of the SC but you can deny their performance. After putting some sexy components (jewelry) on her I'm sure she will look sexy however she is and in whatever light... hmmm... I think I'm losing myself thinking of my girl rather than the bikes?! o_O

·
Registered
111 Posts
I own a 5010 v3, and love it. If I were buying today, I'd probably choose the SLX mojo4.
Me three (v3 5010 owner). The new 5010 looks too heavy and burly for me (at least on paper). Not sure which Mojo build I'd get, but most likely Ibis over the SC :(

Ibis colors are better, and I agree with the above aesthetics of the lower link shock. I do not like the way the new 5010 looks. The Ibis frame looks like a piece of artwork. Again, YMMV.

Also, I like that the Ibis builds have 35mm wheels, where SC is 30mm. I like to run 2.6" tires, and they work better on the larger rims.

That said, I LOVE my v3 5010. It is the girlfriend I cheat on my wife with, lol.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I saw 5.9 pounds for the Mojo4 frame with DPS shock. Has anyone seen a weight for the 5010?

I had my LBS order the Mojo4 last week, before I knew that a new 5010 was also coming. So far I don't see any reason to regret my decision. My current ride is an Ibis HD3 and it has been by far the best bike I've owned. After 5 seasons I'm ready to try more modern geometry, and a little less suspension will work well for the trails I ride.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coin toss really, which brand you like better
I'm sure we can't go wrong with either bike... it's a tough decision... one moment I'm sure it's the mojo then the next I'm looking back over to the 5010.... *sigh* both look very capable among the videos that are out there now...

·
Your bike sucks
2,114 Posts
My current ride is an Ibis HD3 and it has been by far the best bike I've owned. After 5 seasons I'm ready to try more modern geometry, and a little less suspension will work well for the trails I ride.
I relate to that. Really, really liked my HD3 and if I were in today's market, I think the new Mojo would be dead in my sights.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recommend spending a couple days in Santa Cruz riding both bikes. It shouldn't take long to decide which one you like better.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I vote for the M4. Demo'd the last version of the 5010 and liked it, but my M3 has been wonderful and I have had no regrets. I'm looking for my next bike and was pretty convinced I was getting a short travel 29er (Ripley, Izzo, etc) just to try something different for a while, but the M4 dropped and stopped me in my tracks.

I've found that bikes carry the personality that the company values in how a bike should ride, i.e. an ibis rides like an ibis and a Santa Cruz will ride like a Santa Cruz (super generally speaking). Based on that, another point of reference would be ride comparisons between the Tallboy and the Ripley. The character of those bikes will give you a loose analogy of what to expect between a 5010 and M4. The general opinion seems to be that the ibis will favor playfullness and climbing and the SC will be more in its element going down. Remember though we're probably talking subtleties vs them being outright different bikes.

I agree on the comments regarding how the bike looks. Enjoying looking at your bike can be a big part of the overall enjoyment of owning it.

Lastly, I've been at bike demos and the ibis folks are typically some the nicest ones there. In general I get a good vibe from the company.

·
EDR
10,035 Posts
If you are like me you often battle buyer's remorse or second guess every big purchase. Don't do it, be happy! The M3 is a great trail bike. Easy to move around, climbs great and just a blast to ride. I have no doubt the M4 will be the same.

Look at it this way. The 5010 is kinda fugly, but probably rides great. The M4 is SUPER sexy, and probably rides great!

Second guessing will suck the fun out it for you. If you ordered the 5010 and the M4 dropped tomorrow you'd be in the same place thinking, "ah man, that Mojo 4 sure looks good". Get STOKED on that new M4 frame coming your way. Check tracking #'s daily and take the day off from work when the UPS truck is out for delivery!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol

Luckily for me, I haven't ordered either. ;) Just trying to get the insights of those who have owned the previous models. I own an Ibis already, the DV9 and I'm more incline to their design cues over others but I'm not biased, just want to have fun ;)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts