Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back to mountain biking and have demoed a few rides to hone in on my next bike. I'm looking for a good all around, FS, plus, fun bike for trails and an occasional park. I'm also 54 years old, so I'll be riding a bit shy of aggressive. I demoed a Mojo 3 and Fuel EX. Both were great, but really favored the Mojo 3. I'm focused in a 27.5 plus and plan to ride a few more -- Pivot Switch blade, Salsa pony rustler, SC Hightower, and ???

I like what I've read on the GG Trail Pistol, but it's not one that I'd be able to demo here in the North East. I like that it can run either 27.5+ or 29, but, from what I've read, most people go 29 on that bike. I'm curious how it stacks up?

Anyway, I'm looking and learning, and would appreciate some perspectives on this exciting purchase.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I haven't ridden these bikes. If you're just getting back into it though, I would stick with one of the ones you test ride.

The trail pistol might be awesome, but you can't really know how it'll fit etc. Any of these bikes are great, and if you're dropping that much coin to jump in, I say do it on something you know works for you.

See if you can hit those other demos- if the trek, specialized, salsa, pivot, or ibis can't tickle your fancy you may be looking at the wrong kind of bike!

·
that guy
871 Posts
You really can't go wrong with any of the bikes you listed -- especially if they fit you well and you simply enjoy riding them.

I would describe my riding style as "a bit shy of aggressive," as well, and I chose the Ibis Mojo3 as my "do everything bike." It's been an absolute blast on every trail I've ridden since, so I have no regrets at all.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Getting back to mountain biking and have demoed a few rides to hone in on my next bike. I'm looking for a good all around, FS, plus, fun bike for trails and an occasional park. I'm also 54 years old, so I'll be riding a bit shy of aggressive. I demoed a Mojo 3 and Fuel EX. Both were great, but really favored the Mojo 3. I'm focused in a 27.5 plus and plan to ride a few more -- Pivot Switch blade, Salsa pony rustler, SC Hightower, and ???

I like what I've read on the GG Trail Pistol, but it's not one that I'd be able to demo here in the North East. I like that it can run either 27.5+ or 29, but, from what I've read, most people go 29 on that bike. I'm curious how it stacks up?

Anyway, I'm looking and learning, and would appreciate some perspectives on this exciting purchase.
My wife and I took out the fuel and mojo for a test run. Both of us preferred the mojo by a wide margin. Climbing ability of the mojo puts it in a class of its own. Better than average descender too. The only issue we had with it was the constant squeeky pivots...And the ridiculous price tag.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife and I took out the fuel and mojo for a test run. Both of us preferred the mojo by a wide margin. Climbing ability of the mojo puts it in a class of its own. Better than average descender too. The only issue we had with it was the constant squeeky pivots...And the ridiculous price tag.
I didn't experience the squeaky pivots, but the price tag did hit me pretty hard.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
I don't see how the prices are that far apart.
For the XT build, the Mojo 3 is $900 more.

That said, that $900 gets you Factory level Fork and Shock- the Fuel has Performance and not even the Eilte level.
Fuel isn't a full carbon frame- AL chainstays. You have to wonder who specs 28 spoke wheels on a 130mm travel bike(Fuel)

I know this is personal, but that bump stop is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
9,120 Posts
I rode a Hightower for two days last week in E. Tennessee , 29 x 2.4 Ardents and 27.5 x 2.8 Minions, also mixed in some riding on a Tallboy with both wheelsets.

The Tallboy didn't do much for me, the HTA was to steep, handling was fair. The Hightower rode best with 29" wheels, 27+ made it feel doggy. I rode both bikes with both wheelsets in the high and low positions. My buddy also felt the bikes were only so so, neither of us would buy one.

I took a long demo last Fall on a Mojo 3, full Fox, high end build, NN 3.0's. The Mojo was very playful, felt natural, better riding than my Hendrix; admittedly it was a close call. My buddies tried the Hendrix and the Mojo 3 back to back and they were mixed on which rode better. I think we all liked the longer travel :)

I'm currently riding an overshocked DeVinci Hendrix 125mm, Pike 130mm, Rekon 2.8. Previous fs bike was a Foes Mutz and DeVinci Atlas.

I live in WA State x 3 yrs, lived in Knoxville x 20yrs. Riding around Knoxville is very similar to where you ride, rocky and rooty, Appalachia.

Unless you jump big, ie jump lines, etc... I think you could do well with a 120/130 bike like the Hendrix. If you like more suspension, the Mojo 3 would be my first pick. If you can get away with riding the big S, the SixFat is a nice riding bike as well.

I have purchased bikes without a demo, results have been mixed, I think it's hard to know how a bike will ride just from looking at geo. I still buy bikes without a demo, BUT only hardtails/fat bikes, it's a tad easier to get it right.

In choosing a new fs bike, I'd go with long and low geo, steep HTA, slack STA, low stand over, aluminum for weight-durability-price.

Take a look at Kona, they have the geo down.

Also consider a 29er, some will take a plus wheelset, gives you options. 29ers rule for tech terrain, esp where you live.

Last, but not least: Don't get back into biking, new bike, newbie knowledge, with a high end build. It's not worth the extra dollars, a base build will ride great for you, and if you get into biking again, you will probably choose differently a year from now.

Biggest bangs for the bucks: Kona Process 111 (29er ), DeVinci Hendrix (27+). The new RSD looks good, not sure you'd demo. Also consider used bikes, Pinkbike is chock full of deals this time if year.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Another bike you might consider is the Pivot 429 Trail. The bike can take up to 3" tires and will really amaze you as an all around trail bike. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
FWIW, I was 100% dead set on a Mojo3 until I stumbled over the price bump to get decent brakes. Delay between order and receipt was a bit of an issue as well.

Lo and behold, a prior-year Santa Cruz 5010 appeared at the LBS. Numbers are within a mm all around... took me a few trips to arm wrestle with the manager to get the price where I wanted it.

It's not quite a true 27.5+ bike; I run a 2.8 Rekon in front and a 2.4 Ardent out back. I could maybe sneak a 2.8 in the back (stated 2.6 max, Rekon measures 2.66 in real life).

Absolutely LOVE the bike. Super playful, easy to throw around in turns and in the air.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I love my M3, so I think you made a great choice! The other bonus is that you can run "standard width" (whatever means anymore) tires if you choose without a different set of wheels. I'm currently running 2.35s, but will likely give 2.6 or 2.8s a try this spring. It's a way of getting two bike personalities without the hassle of switching wheels (or other frame adjustments like some of the 29-27.5+ bikes require you to do).

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
FYI- I'll be selling my Mojo 3, matching Fox and Ibis 735 wheels as a package. Backed the Tantrum Kickstarter, so I need to let these go.

PM me if interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts