Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if it is possible to modify the stroke length on a metric Fox shock? I have a 210x52.5mm fox shock from a Trek Fuel ex and want to know if I can modify it to 210x55mm by removing a spacer (or something)?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
And I'm out.
506 Posts
Making a shock travel longer is more complicated than just dremelling out the delrin AIR VOLUME token. You need to completely disassemble the shock and change the damper shaft length, the air can and the outer body length to make it longer. It's not impossible, but it is longer than just a 100 hour service. Since you're running a Trek the lowers shouldn't be a problem, you'll just need to track down ( or have someone track down for you ) a longer travel shock. If you are running a coil shock then it'll be easier (possibly less expensive also) to find yourself a longer travel shock online. Keep that same spring and spring perch and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would seem strange to me that Fox would have different shaft lengths between the 210x50mm, 210x52.5mm and 210x55mm surely it would make more sense for them to have 1 length and limit travel by spacer? I read this is what Rockshox does on their deluxe shocks with same eye to eye lengths.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Yes for metric shocks it is as simple as removing a spacer, it’s under the bottom out o-ring and washer. ideally you would disassemble the shock to slide it off.

If you’re super careful it can be cut off but I didn’t tell you to do that!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes for metric shocks it is as simple as removing a spacer, it's under the bottom out o-ring and washer. ideally you would disassemble the shock to slide it off.

If you're super careful it can be cut off but I didn't tell you to do that!
Cheers for that

·
Registered
5 Posts
There should be a 2.5mm travel limiting spacer in there. Use side cutters and snip it off carefully. Shouldn't even need to remove the shock from the frame. My Yeti SB130 came with the same and it took all of 30 seconds to remove it. It will allow you shock to gain the 2.5mm of upper stroke travel back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.