Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2004 GT i-drive 1.0 that I wish to modify the build into a more freeride orientated bike.

So far the build is stock apart from

• Marzocchi Z1 Freerides with QR20 (130mm)
  • Azonic 2 inch riser bar
  • 50mm Trans x stem

Has anyone else set out on the same sort of project?

I am also looking for warranty info about what forks/shock the standard frame can take?

What other mods can I make to increase travel etc?

·
made in Oregon
142 Posts
I have done a very similar transition. I started with a Marz Z1FR 130mm and a rear Fox Vanilla RC with a 6.5" i to i and a 1.75" stroke (vs the stock 1.5"). Then I machined a new dogbone to take advantage of the increased rear travel and so it would not bottom out the travel on the dogbone. It now has 5.25" of rear travel vs the stock 4.5". I am looking to mod it further with a 7", 2" travel shock and new mounting points.
I have since switched the Marz out for a 2003 Boxxer Team with 7" of travel and integrated stem. The geometry is better but I am still looking for a Bullit :)
Nathan

·
made in Oregon
142 Posts
Yea sorry I have been busy tracking down a Bullit. Finally got it today. I have the 1.75" travel Fox RC and long dogbone for sale if you want. It will give you 5.25" of rear travel and the RC has compression and rebound adjustments. If not I am putting them on Ebay. PM me for more info.

Attachments

·
Vita brevis
440 Posts
Question;

nater b said:
I have done a very similar transition. I started with a Marz Z1FR 130mm and a rear Fox Vanilla RC with a 6.5" i to i and a 1.75" stroke (vs the stock 1.5"). Then I machined a new dogbone to take advantage of the increased rear travel and so it would not bottom out the travel on the dogbone. It now has 5.25" of rear travel vs the stock 4.5". I am looking to mod it further with a 7", 2" travel shock and new mounting points.
I have since switched the Marz out for a 2003 Boxxer Team with 7" of travel and integrated stem. The geometry is better but I am still looking for a Bullit :)
Nathan
The i-drive design has a "sweet spot" that helps cancel out pedal bob and kickback. How do your mods (longer stroke shock and long dogbone) affect that? Did you have to experiment to find the best sag and preload settings?

·
made in Oregon
142 Posts
The sag of the rear did not change as the eye to eye of the shock is still 6.5" and did not raise the bb height. The longer dogbone does change the position of the eccentric inside the bb but not by much. I noticed no change in the way it pedaled or any pedal feedback. You don't have to increase the length of the dogbone but I noticed that towards the end of the travel, the dogbone was close to being the travel limiter and I didn't want that kind of force on the dogbone or eccentric. Everything on that bike except the Boxxer is for sale too. XTR shifters and derailuer, Hayes hydraulics, Fox RC, the frame, etc.
Nathan

·
Vita brevis
440 Posts
Cool

nater b said:
The sag of the rear did not change as the eye to eye of the shock is still 6.5" and did not raise the bb height. The longer dogbone does change the position of the eccentric inside the bb but not by much. I noticed no change in the way it pedaled or any pedal feedback. You don't have to increase the length of the dogbone but I noticed that towards the end of the travel, the dogbone was close to being the travel limiter and I didn't want that kind of force on the dogbone or eccentric. Everything on that bike except the Boxxer is for sale too. XTR shifters and derailuer, Hayes hydraulics, Fox RC, the frame, etc.
Nathan
Thanks, I had heard of this mod,minus the dogbone, but had not heard from anyone with firsthand experience. How much are you asking for the Fox RC? I have the travel balanced nicely front and rear now, but am always interested in upgrading. Changing the shock and fork would be a lot cheaper than buying a new five inch frame and fork, and anyway, I like the way the I-drive pedals.

·
Vita brevis
440 Posts
that's a good price

nater b said:
Well I would like to get around $175 for it as I paid over that a few months ago and it is pretty hard to find. Would you want the dogbone too?
Nathan
I can't afford it right now as I am getting married in two weeks. All of my money is tied up for the next while. Good luck selling it, at that price you ought to be able to find a buyer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.