Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does this design look an awful lot like the V-Link (see the link below)? Note the location of the rear pivot above the dropout, which was the differentiator between Horst links (Specialized FSR and others) and the V-Link. I noticed the XSL also has this pivot location, but I've read before that XSL is licensed from Specialized...weird.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/APG-FRM-Details.html

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
cegrover said:
Is it just me, or does this design look an awful lot like the V-Link (see the link below)? Note the location of the rear pivot above the dropout, which was the differentiator between Horst links (Specialized FSR and others) and the V-Link. I noticed the XSL also has this pivot location, but I've read before that XSL is licensed from Specialized...weird.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/APG-FRM-Details.html
XSL is not licensed from Specialized, it's just another faux-bar bike, which has braking characteristics of a single-pivot. Faux-bar bikes have the pivot placed on the seatstay, horst link bikes have pivots placed on the chainstay. Many companies buy the right to use the horst link from Specialized.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
XSL is not licensed from Specialized, it's just another faux-bar bike, which has braking characteristics of a single-pivot. Faux-bar bikes have the pivot placed on the seatstay, horst link bikes have pivots placed on the chainstay. Many companies buy the right to use the horst link from Specialized.
Good pt. I looked closer at the XSL and DB has been consistent with the pivot location...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Given that the Ibex has discs only and the disc tabs are on the chainstay (along with the dropout), does that keep the suspension from "locking" under heavy braking? I can see how the rim brakes on the V-Link lock the chainstay and seatstays together under braking, but it seems like moving the brakes to the chainstay should cure this (?).

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've owned 2 Diamondbacks with the faux bar linkage (97 V-Link and 01 X-TS3) and a Horst link bike (Azonic Saber) and even though the Saber is the best bike I've owned, I think that Horst link benefits are frequently exaggerated.
Dave Turner has just moved all of his frames away from the HL design and they have been getting rave reviews.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.