Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have 29 inch 2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon single speed with over 11000km on it. I am looking for more modern geo frame for long endurance rides / races.. Looking for more slack HA with steeper seat tube angle, longer reach and longer chain stays for better climbing. On my area there is lots of rocks so I dont want too much BB drop because of pedal strikes. I am looking something like Pole Taival, but with adjustable drop outs and lighter frame.

I heard rumors that something interesting is coming out soon from Pässilä Bikes. (Titanium frameset that is more for trails, 50mm BB drop sliding dropouts, slack HA etc)

Not sure if I want to pay for titanium, I have had no complaints with aluminium. Maybe alu frame is lighter as well?

Do you have any recommendations?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys

Interesting and good suggestions!

Spot Rocker is too expensive, and also has about same HA as I have now and I would like to have more slacker HA. But would be nice to try how belt drive works, also in poor conditions. (mud etc) Any experience?

RSD looks interesting, maybe need to check how much customs I would have to pay.

I need this for next summer so no rush. In case any other suggestions let me know.

Keep the chain tight!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Try spending 100 bucks on a works components adjustable angle headset? Make the chameleon 2 degrees slacker and see if you like it before spending bucks on a new frame. I have one on the way to steepen the angle on my Esker Japhy (~65 degrees unsaggged). IMHO, slacker isn’t always better unless you’re only going downhill…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rippin da fAt
11,951 Posts
Thanks Guys

Interesting and good suggestions!

Spot Rocker is too expensive, and also has about same HA as I have now and I would like to have more slacker HA. But would be nice to try how belt drive works, also in poor conditions. (mud etc) Any experience?

RSD looks interesting, maybe need to check how much customs I would have to pay.

I need this for next summer so no rush. In case any other suggestions let me know.

Keep the chain tight!
Belt is interesting and frankly, I would like to try it with an Onyx hub. There is the odd chance of debris getting in the works and mucking it up or fouling the belt albeit, a rare occurrence.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Belt is interesting and frankly, I would like to try it with an Onyx hub. There is the odd chance of debris getting in the works and mucking it up or fouling the belt albeit, a rare occurrence.
I don't know. I've been on rides with folks when the belt suddenly snaps (gets jabbed with a stick, etc). There's no fixing that with a chain tool or a quick link…. Not to mention, you have to set the tension with an app :)

·
Rippin da fAt
11,951 Posts
I don't know. I've been on rides with folks when the belt suddenly snaps (gets jabbed with a stick, etc). There's no fixing that with a chain tool or a quick link…. Not to mention, you have to set the tension with an app :)

we don't call em Grace for nothing!

·
Wanna ride bikes?
12,537 Posts
I don't really associate a modern longer, slacker bike as a " long endurance rides / races. " type of bike. More of a rowdy enduro hardtail for increased descending capabilities. I'd look for something more neutral geometry wise, especially for racing.

I also find that shorter chainstays climb better for SS since you're standing and your weight is shifted forward. Longer chainstays make it more likely that you'll spin the rear tire more easily.

Vassago, Reeb, Chumba?, Esker? (not light), Stanton, Cotic?,

Also look here for a list of bike options. singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was struggling to find anything on my similar search.

The problem with frames like the Pipedream is they are around 3kg! That is a lot of heft if you care about those kinds of things.

Also hard to tick all the boxes when I also wanted a swinging or sliding tensioner.

I'd have to second the idea of custom steel. Geo and paint exactly as you want, all the features exactly how you want and the fit/ handling you want. With the delay on getting parts and frames that exists at the moment it won't take any longer than trying to get hold of any other frame either! I'll try to get my creation posted up soon :)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Kona Honzo ESD available as frame only BB drop maybe not your desired. Vid of hardtail party riding Sedona trails setup SS and 130 fork so a bit lower. He has also reviewed a bunch of other modern geo hardtails some as SS also.

·
Registered
15,108 Posts
If you don't need 140mm travel the Pipedream Sirius S5 is also 65deg and takes 100-120mm forks:
I put a 140mm fork on a SS Pipedream Sirius. It rides great despite being overforked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.