Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started having hub problems (bearing slop) on my front wheel. It's an older Mavic CrossRide Disc I bought in a set. Maybe because I'm too heavy @220lbs but I busted the axle on the CrossRide rear wheel and replaced it with a used CrossMax Enduro years ago. So I've been running that setup for awhile now and I either have to replace the bearings in the front if I can find them, or preferably I'll spend a little on new wheels and repair the old set for a backup later.

I run 2.1 WTB Velociraptors now(I think they're the OEM tire actually). And it looks like the Crossride Disc is a 19mm inner in front. CrossMax Enduro rear is probably same.

So I'm looking at upgrading and I look around and everybody is running wider wheels. Running lower pressures, tubeless. And running wider tires of course. For my 2.1's I'm seeing charts recommending 23mm IW wheels or more! I guess rim tech is that much better than 6/7 years ago.

So I'd like to give it a shot as much as my frame will allow. Something wider and tubeless with lower pressures. I know a narrow 2.3 is the biggest I can fit on this bike. I'd like a 2.3 front and 2.2/3 rear with a 25ish mm inner width wheel that can handle my weight and riding style, which is rocky, rooty, technical XC as well as fast free flowing XC. I guess you'd call it "Trail" now. Hubs will have to be 9/10mm QR ISO Disc.

Before I go ahead and start shopping around I'd like to hear any criticisms of this plan. Other ideas on a plan or even specific product are welcome also. I am not interested right now in a new or even used bike upgrade so its not on the table.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Cheers,
Lyndon

·
Registered
66 Posts
your situation sounds just like mine, including being on the beefier side of the XC riding spectrum and type of trails you ride. I used Hope Pro4 hubs laced to DT Swiss EX471 rims with DT Swiss Evolution spokes. The EX471s are actually all mountain rims, but they weigh in like an average XC rim. I went with the evolution spokes to keep the weight down and the Hope hubs because they came in purple (priorities). You could build on any combination of hubs/spokes (Novatec would be a good budget hub option) but I strongly recommend the EX471s as your start point as they are designed to withstand serious abuse without penalizing you on weight.

dt02b.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Those rims look great. 25mm seems a good width that will work at the tire sizes I'm looking at. At 475g they are pretty light considering. What differences did you notice after the change to your ride?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hope hubs are high on my list of hubs, they are one of few to use forged hubshells. Forged good. I'm a lightweight but build wheels high tension. Have yet to use a Hope actually, my old Hugi's are bombproof and forged approaching 30 years old. DT/Hugis are great for heavyweights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Those rims look great. 25mm seems a good width that will work at the tire sizes I'm looking at. At 475g they are pretty light considering. What differences did you notice after the change to your ride?
Honestly, my last build was such an overhaul that it is hard to pinpoint the change from the wheel themselves. I also switched from rim to disc brakes and now run tubeless with these rims (easy with these rims BTW). My rear wheel setup weighs exactly the same as my old one with cassettes installed. My new cassette is 11spd and significantly heavier than my old 8spd, so the new wheels are lighter around the outside - which is where it matters most. That combined with the loss of weight in the tubeless setup has really made the bike feel more explosive. Having the wider rim has allowed me to run a fatter tire up front at a lower pressure which has come in handy as I my bike is now fully rigid and I don't miss the suspension fork at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a online shop send me mavic 517’s sups laced to mavic mx501 hubs for $299 shipped. This was a while back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up going with something hand built and ready to ship quickly. BWW reportedly has excellent customer service. These are 25mm IW, decently light at 500g with some overbuilt hubs and decent spokes. BWW gets great reviews for product and service. The price was pretty good after 20% discount. Remember 26" options in 9/10mm QR are not that plentiful.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/MTB/26/AM-All-Mountain/Stan-s-Flow-EX-26-Custom-Build.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up going with something hand built and ready to ship quickly. BWW reportedly has excellent customer service. These are 25mm IW, decently light at 500g with some overbuilt hubs and decent spokes. BWW gets great reviews for product and service. The price was pretty good after 20% discount. Remember 26" options in 9/10mm QR are not that plentiful.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/MTB/26/AM-All-Mountain/Stan-s-Flow-EX-26-Custom-Build.html
Did you end up with the Speed Tuned Super 6 2.0 hubs? If so, I'd be interested to hear how they runout and how durable they are.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics

Got it all mounted and went for a few rides. The difference in traction and speed is noticeable. Minion DHF/DHR2 tires have definitely made a positive difference as well compared to the old WTB Velociraptors. Great wheel build by BWW. Highly Recommended. IMG-20200717-WA0000[1].jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speed Tuned 6 2.0 Hubs

Well,

I can't really comment on the durability yet. They are very very smooth and light. Great engagement. The freehub is fairly loud but it seems all higher end are these days. My Shimano Deore M525 are the only quiet ones I know of and they are almost silent. They seem to be tapered left to right which I've never used before so might have different bearing cartridge sizes left vs. right. I'm hoping I'll never have to replace them though :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts