Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helllo fellows,

My brother in law handed me a frankenstein Klein Rascal '92 that hasn't been ridden for a long time.
Some parts are not original anymore i.e. tyres,rims,fork. Drivetrain still is. Now, I want to make a restoration
project for this bike and convert to ss with the help of local bike workshop.
Also ,based on my research seems that the BB is pressed-in kind of proprietary BB (CMIIW), I have browsed some threads here regarding Klein rascal BB.
One of them is this :
And I was like thinking have no time for this kind of thing.
I'm thinking replacing the whole original BB with more common sealed bearing square taper BB.
Anybody can suggest what current/modern BB parts that I can use for the Klein rascal for single speed use?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Phil Wood was making an external bearing BB for Kleins. I had one on a ~94/95 Quantum road bike that I ran modern Shimano Ultegra group on - this was 2013 or so.
I would reach out to them for starters. Either you can go with the modern external bearing setup, or they were doing the pressfit bearings and I think they even had replacement axles at some point. Regardless of which way you are going, you will never have "more common" with that.

Another thought, Velo Orange was making an expanding wedge sealed cartridge BB (Threadless Bottom Brackets), but if I recall those were limited to 68mm wide shells. Look for "threadless" bottom brackets and you may find other options

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.