Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I will be in Boulder the first weekend in May. I am taking my bike to do a trail or two and get my feet wet on an actual mountain. Looking for something moderately easy but fun. Maybe a couple different trails in the 8-12 mile range.

This will be my first time mtbing in the mountains so nothing to crazy. I enjoy techy type stuff. Also, i wouldn’t be against a guide if someone is up for it. Just know that I’ll be slow. Im not against hitting up a bike park instead. Been told I could ride a lot more and stay on greens and blues and stay away from some of the climbing. Any good suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
You’re in the right place - Betasso trail (no go on Wed or Saturdays) and Picture Rock (Lyons) will suit you well.
Centenial cone outside of Golden as well.

Early May is likely a little early for the Nederland trails (magnolia) but those would be perfect if thawed out (check in here right before you come out).

Download MTB project or Trailforks for directions and ideas. You’ll get mileage and elevation profiles. I’d say anything rated green would be too boring, blue perfect and black too much climbing.

Also realize it could be 80 degrees and sunny or 35 and snowing...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Darkcloud is spot on, Betasso would be perfect (Sunday, no bikes Saturday), Picture Rock (north end of Heil), Centennial Cone (which is open to bikes on even numbered weekend days, so bikes on Saturday May 4, Sunday May 12 - also the upper dirt road section of the loop is closed for wildlife, so it would be out-and-back only). Betasso has mostly one-direction bike traffic (you have to take the loops in the direction indicated).

Another option would be the Overland loop at Heil (the south end, closer to Boulder, and also one-direction-only for bikes), then you could head up the main trail (Wapiti) as far as you feel like (connects to loops up top, which you can also get to from Picture Rock). Wapiti gets increasingly rocky but it's not too steep, and the rocks are not that big or technical (but there's a ton of them, the trail seems like it's more rock than dirt).

All of these will be crowded on weekends (unless it's snowing...which is a real possibility not just a joke!). Please yield to all non-bike users. Also please yield to uphill bike traffic, which everyone around here seems to take as The Gospel, but when I moved here I had never heard of despite 20+ years of mountain biking across the Western U.S.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,843 Posts
There's a lot of snow around here right now so no higher elevation trails will be melted off.

Good suggestions so far, I'd also add Hall starting from the Antelope trailhead (park in Lyons) If the other trails are too easy try starting from lower Bitterbrush at Hall. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was planning on probably riding Monday mostly to have a little less traffic. Maybe a super early Sunday morning ride. Just kind of depends on how our schedule winds up. I already saved Betasso and Picture Rock on MTB project. How is the Wild Turkey loop at the end of Picture Rock? Was thinking that looked like a good loop to go on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was planning on probably riding Monday mostly to have a little less traffic. Maybe a super early Sunday morning ride. Just kind of depends on how our schedule winds up. I already saved Betasso and Picture Rock on MTB project. How is the Wild Turkey loop at the end of Picture Rock? Was thinking that looked like a good loop to go on.

Mixed bag of loose shale (old ranch road turned single(ish) track and purpose built mtb trail. Worth doing to enjoy the overlook and add miles. Has its moments.
If you can get dropped at heil valley (overland trail)- up heil, around wild turkey down picture rock for a beer and a ride home at Oskar blues...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.