Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
turtles make me hot
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't build frames but I'm trying to help out a friend and I have another friend who is a spectacular welder.
Anyway, one of my friends is trying to get a beater mtb movement started around here and has a few followers. His beater ride is an old steel frame he thinks is a 50's Columbia. It's SS with a coaster brake. The seat post is insanely small for off road riding and the post clamp is integral to the post/ frame. He has trouble with it slipping. The seat tube passes through the top tube.
Would it be cool to cut it flush with the top tube and then machine it so a section that will take a 27.2 will fit in and weld it to the remaining seat tube or remove and replace the entire seat tube?

He has other bikes so unless he truly loves this thing it seems like a fool's errand. My welder friend is a friend but he's still gonna want to be paid for his time.
He does ride it a lot.
BTW, this frame is brazed and I think it should be gusseted. Any thoughts?

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
The frame is built around the seat tube. It's possible to remove it and install a different one, but i'd rather build a new frame. I'm very pessimistic about anything you proposed. How about a 2 bolt collar, or a custom seatpost, or an anti-friction compound? There are many other ways to solve the issue, and they're all superior.

Gussets are stupid and almost always create more problems than they solve. Bonus points for gussets on a fillet brazed frame. Double bonus points for making random guesses about improving someone else's design. Leave it alone.

My opinion only.

·
turtles make me hot
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think he should ride his other bikes in the woods and use this one as a neighborhood beater.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.