Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to modify a 98/99 Ground Control very similar to this, http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Gro...categoryZ98083QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting, except it has a normal stem. I'll try to get a pic of mine up soon.

I would like to know some info on the bike. How long is the travel front and rear, what are some good replacment forks and shocks, any info on the deraiullers(sp?), stuff like that. I am pretty new to the mechanical side of mountain bike(although I've been riding since I was 10) and this seems like a good starting bike(cuz its not my everyday bike).

Also, what would be a good place to start. And any info on losing some weight would be nice (this is one heavy sucker). And also this bike is pretty much for screwing around on, it can't be too expensive.

Thanks

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I had one. It has 3" of travel in the rear. What travel it has in the front depends entirely on the fork installed on it. That fork in the ebay pic looks like a RS Judy of some kind...usually 2.5"--3" travel. The rear shock was usually a RS Deluxe. This bike actually worked quited well. It's a Mac-strut/Horst design, and although a little noodly in the lateral flex department, it functioned very well. That's the craziest stem/bar setup I've seen in awhile.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking closer to the one in the pic I noticed that mine has an air spring, not a coil. Also I was wondering if it is even possible to change the rear shock cuz instead of the lower eye, there is a diffenet connection. Yes I did notice its a bit noodly when riding it. The rear shock is also way to soft for me, pogo galore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
97 Specialized Ground Control A1

The frame is a 97 model Ground control A1. Every model above it uses a link type suspension in the rear as opposed to the "mac-strut" style. (Notice there is only one eyebolt on the rear suspension under the seat) The amount of travel in the rear depends on the frame size.

15.5" = 1.25"/1.5"
17" = 1.25"/1.5"
18" = 1.75"/2.0"
19" = 1.75"/2.0"
20.5" = 1.75"/2.0"

Unfortunately the only company I've been able to find that makes a replacement for the rear shock is Risse Racing but I've also read nothing but good reviews about the company. If you don't want to spend $200 to upgrade the rear suspension you can install a new spring on the rear that will stiffen the suspension. Check around on ebay. The steering tube is 1 1/8" so you won't have any problem finding a replacement fork. There isn't any single part you can replace on the bike to drastically reduce weight, it's a heavier frame due to the fact it's a full suspension ride, but a combination of several items over time like the fork, crankset, and wheelset will make the most difference in weight. Also, upgrading the other components, seatpost, stem, handlebars, derailluers, as has been mentioned can shave a little weight off of the bike and really improve the ride. I'll try to upload a pic of my own bike and also a pic of the rear suspension i mentioned on a proflex frame. It is a "work in progress" as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey mikespug -
I just picked up this same bike, with the Rock Shox Deluxe shock. The rear shock bobs quite a bit for me when I peadl uphill, so I am looking for something stiffer. You mentioned I can find a stiffer spring on ebay - what should I search? I think I have the 19" frame. Sorry, my first bike, so even if this is standard, I don't know what "standard' is. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey mikespug -
I just picked up this same bike, with the Rock Shox Deluxe shock. The rear shock bobs quite a bit for me when I peadl uphill, so I am looking for something stiffer. You mentioned I can find a stiffer spring on ebay - what should I search? I think I have the 19" frame. Sorry, my first bike, so even if this is standard, I don't know what "standard' is. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.