Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have an older model LEV, size 27.2x400 with 100mm of lift, which after many years of great service, is finally getting lazy. It rises pretty slow and sometimes needs a hand to get starting the rise. It also drops about an inch when I sit down on my saddle.

I have contacted KS to see if it was possible to get some extra air into the old style sealed cartridge. Hoping it would be something similar to filling an IFP chamber on a FOX float rear shock with a needle and pump and some self sealing rubber bit behind a grub screw. That is unfortunately not an option with my old(pre 2017) LEV though.

I was told however that I can add a newer type cartridge, with schrader valve, into my old model LEV. Part number A3154-100 is the part to replace the old A3122. Only thing that needs altering is cutting the original pushrod to 106mm.

This seems like a pretty simple part swap with only a minor modification.

How come I have not found any written stories or videos about this seemingly simple part swap? Are people just buying new posts or is there a problem with this mod that I am not made aware of yet?

90$ for a new type cartridge or 300$ for a new post seems like a no-brainer to me. Just wondering why I haven't read anything about this..

Anyone here know someone who modded their old LEV or did you yourself did this mod? I would like to hear about it and anything I need to know before I go down this road.

Anyone want to pitch any pros and cons is also welcome to speak up!

· Combat Wombat
1,883 Posts
I have the same dropper and had thought about about rebuilding it with the newer parts. While this was initially all about just rebuilding the dropper, I believe there are posts later on that explain how to upgrade to the newer parts.

Also found this....

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same dropper and had thought about about rebuilding it with the newer parts. While this was initially all about just rebuilding the dropper, I believe there are posts later on that explain how to upgrade to the newer parts.

Also found this....

Thanks for those post links. The first I had already found and read about half of all comments but didn't find anything about swapping those parts. I had not found that second one yet, thanks!

I had some back and forth with Chris from KS and after also finding a German website linking to a German shop which sells the necessary parts (I am from the Netherlands). With some more information about the swap on that German site, it all seemed easy enough, so I ordered the parts I need for a cartridge swap yesterday. For those in Europe, here is a link to the shop where I ordered the parts:
Produkte - 11Motors

I have ordered the following parts:

# KS A3113-272 DU bushing
# KS P3014 Clamp Cradle Fastener (valve cap)
# 3x KS P26HL guide bushings (just in case the old ones don't fit or are worn out)
# KS A3154-100 cartridge

· Combat Wombat
1,883 Posts
Cool! Definitely let us know how it goes. My KS Level 27.2 was the first dropper I owned and other than a slow rebound, it worked good for me. I eventually replaced it with a PNW dropper, which worked well, but a boat anchor. I am going to build up the Kona Unit frame that I had originally used the KS Lev on and why I had considered using it again if replacing the upgraded cartridge works well.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will probably make a post about the swap with some photos.

Those older Kona bikes and their weird 30mm seat posts.. My LEV is also in a Kona

A completely rebuilt 2009 Dawg deluxe.

I really love that bike and I will ride it until it breaks.. Which will hopefully be far of in the distant future ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.