Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
24 Hours of Moab was fun, but I'm guessing it won't be back next year.

Race report-

Weather: It was cold and rainy all the way up until the start of the race. While this makes for faster course conditions, it's a real morale killer. Typically you'll see daytime temps in the 70's or 80's.....I don't think it ever got above 55 degrees the first day. I'm a fair-weather-rider and riding in the cold and wet isn't fun to me. During the night, I think temps dropped down to about 30 degrees.....mucho cold!!! I've never seen so many teams stop riding until morning (my team being one of them). I'm about fun and the temps were some of the coldest I've seen over the past 10 years of doing the race. At least it didn't rain that much during the race.

Course: The course was awesome!!! The rain made it fast and fast!! I pulled my quickest lap times ever this year. There was virtually no sand and great lines everywhere. Even sand-hill was almost rideable. Great course conditions.

Race venue: This is where I think they put the nail in the coffin. The usual announcers (awesome) were unable to make it so they had a guy doing it solo. Let me tell you, listening to the same guy make the same bad jokes over and over is going to put a race out of business. I do realize that it's difficult to announce for a race like this, especially solo, there's no relief for the listeners. I heard a lot of feedback on how back the announcer guy was.

Second, there was hardly anybody there this year. I race just for fun and usually we have a team number well into the 300's....this year 170's! The transition tent seemed very empty, especially at night. Even with the smaller numbers, they brought in even less port-a-potties and they chose the budget package, which meant limited pumpings and no hand sanitizer. Also, you had to look for toilet paper before you started, most of them were out much of the time. It was pretty nasty. Also Granny Gear was trying to sell off all the old shirts and schwag for OUTRAGEOUS prices!! I think they were trying to make every last penny they could before the race dies.

Overall, it's been a good run for the race and I'll be sad to see it go. After attending this year, I'm pretty sure it's dead. The race atmosphere just wasn't there, I've been doing it since 1999 and you could tell a difference. I think if they brought it back a little sooner in the year, so it wasn't so cold at night, they might see a little revival of attendance. Many of us are tired of riding in the freezing temps. I'd much rather deal with 100 degree weather during the day.......it's a lot easier to drink a little extra than try to stay warm all night!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Was a good time for the most part.

So was 24 of Moab so boring nobody has posted or nobody went?
As fireman said, the portapotty situation was the most obvious change... In the past they were always kept spotless and stocked.

Otherwise, course was in great condition, riders were, as always, out for fun, everybody seemed to support everyone else.

It was chilly at night and early am. I heard of at least one person being evacuated for hypothermia. But, It's really not that hard to dress for dry mid 30s weather. The day time temps were very comfortable. No reason in my mind to complain.

Crowds were sparse compared to the past, I think due to the previous week's championship in C Springs, and perhaps the economy. Also, the sponsor set up and support was much less than previous years - over all, subdued.

The usual announcer was in a very serious accident shortly before, so it was good they found someone to take over at the last minute. Could have been worse!

My team was three rookies and me. They all had a great time.

It really is a fun course, especially when the sand is under control like it was this time and the weather cooperates. Will be sad to see it end if indeed it does.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
hope it lives

I've done it 3 times. Lots of fun, but it is expensive, time consuming and a challenge logistically. Hard to find teammates who will pay, race and buy nice lights. Most of my riding buddies will spend $$ on lots of stuff but not a light. Hope it comes back next year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the time of my life

Having never done Moab before I can't comment on the crowds or the port-a-potties. I can tell you it was cold, but other than that it was awesome. There may not have been a lot of people in the transition area between midnight and 5 AM, but those there were having a great time.

The course was in terrific condition. By the time the race was over the sun was out and it was quite warm - in fact my last lap (fourth, was my fastest). When we got in Moab a few days earlier there was almost no snow on the La Sal's. The day of the race, the mountain tops were covered giving the race a stunning backdrop.

The organization was excellent. Laird puts on a good show.

It is definitely an effort to get to Moab. However, we added a few days to ride TWE and Porcupine (twice) (so three in total down Porc). Not sure about the future of the race, but it was the time of my life.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Having never done Moab before I can't comment on the crowds or the port-a-potties. I can tell you it was cold, but other than that it was awesome. There may not have been a lot of people in the transition area between midnight and 5 AM, but those there were having a great time.

The course was in terrific condition. By the time the race was over the sun was out and it was quite warm - in fact my last lap (fourth, was my fastest). When we got in Moab a few days earlier there was almost no snow on the La Sal's. The day of the race, the mountain tops were covered giving the race a stunning backdrop.

The organization was excellent. Laird puts on a good show.

It is definitely an effort to get to Moab. However, we added a few days to ride TWE and Porcupine (twice) (so three in total down Porc). Not sure about the future of the race, but it was the time of my life.
Did you take a nap when you got home? Sounds like a lot of saddle time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did you take a nap when you got home? Sounds like a lot of saddle time.
Funny you should ask. I was so tired when I got home I slept for 12 hours. My legs were so fried that I actually had to ask around if it was normal. I guess the net of this all is that for many of us Moab is a once in a lifetime trip. If you have the chance GO!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.