Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading out to Moab Utah in April to do 5 days of biking.

I know I want to do Slickrock, porcupine ridge and poison spider, but what are some other trails that are on a must ride list?

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
The best ride in Moab, IMO, is Gold Bar Rim to Blue Dot trail to the portal trail. It's a point-to-point so you'll need shuttle capabilities unless you want to ride a lt of pavement before and after the trails, but the views are the best and the trails are extreme.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Soverign is fun and hit Bartlett Wash. A great place to start and begin learning on slickrock. Just a turn of the wheel to go from easy to tech. Primitive camping there.
Slickrock is a trail that can wear you out quickly, many short steep climbs. Bring food, water and sunscreen. Porcupine starts with a 1000' climb, if shuttled, much more without the shuttle.
Gold Bar is on my need to ride list.
Personally, I like St George riding better. Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mountain are the most fun trails.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Jim Beam said:
The best ride in Moab, IMO, is Gold Bar Rim to Blue Dot trail to the portal trail. It's a point-to-point so you'll need shuttle capabilities unless you want to ride a lt of pavement before and after the trails, but the views are the best and the trails are extreme.
Yep, the best "known" ride in moan...and mean moab..

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Jim Beam said:
I'll 2nd this ride. My favorite in Moab. You can start from the top of Gemeni Bridges to add a fun downhill. You should understand that this is a BIG ride. Hitting Portal 4 or 5 hours into your ride can be a nightmare if you're not a real good bike handler...

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Yeah, the only reason to ride Poison Spider is if you would like to suffer through sand on your way to ride Portal. Must rides for me are Porc - LPS may be as high as you can go in April and Amasa to Jackson's.

If you're not into cliff wall exposure, then stay away from Jackson's and don't even consider Portal. Porc has some mini exposure in the singletrack section, if you find it sketchy, then avoid the other two.

·
aka greyranger
507 Posts
My faves in no order, Soverign, Porc rim(shuttle), do slickrockif you never have done it. If you gettime head over to Fruita(110) miles, worth the trip. 3days Moab, 2 days Fruita one day at SR 18 trails and one day at thtrails at exit 13 Loma trails.

·
Registered
144 Posts
redranger said:
My faves in no order, Soverign, Porc rim(shuttle), do slickrockif you never have done it. If you gettime head over to Fruita(110) miles, worth the trip. 3days Moab, 2 days Fruita one day at SR 18 trails and one day at thtrails at exit 13 Loma trails.
This would be my ultimate vacation, but I would go for 50 days... 30 days in Moab and 20 days in Fruita :thumbsup: or I would just stay there forever. I am coming back in fall 2010 for two weeks, I CAN'T WAIT :)

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
we flew to Vegas - Rode Gooseberry Mesa (fantastic) and headed to Moab. The Whole Enchilada or as much of it as possible in April is a must IMHO. I really enjoyed Soverign the way we rode it but I think if you rode it the opposite way it wouldn't have een so much fun. And like others say Gold Bar Rim to Blue Dot trail to the Portal and Amasa Back are great. Slickrock is worth doing if you haven't ridden it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
chrisocross said:
I am heading out to Moab Utah in April to do 5 days of biking.

I know I want to do Slickrock, porcupine ridge and poison spider, but what are some other trails that are on a must ride list?
If your up to an all day ride with a small shuttle , then i would do the gemini bridges road to gold bar to blue dot to poisin spyder and back to town . It is a lovely day trip .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts