Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never ridden the Moab area and am scheduled to race Moab Rocks in about 6 weeks. I have several sets of tires that I can run and am curious to see what the advice is for this area and race. I have 2.4 Rekon Race, 2.4 Apsens, 2.4 Rekons, 2.35 Mezcals, all can be on 29-30mm inner 29er rims. I've ran Mezcals and other fast type tires before in Utah with good success for True Grit. I'm kinda guessing any tire will grip on the rock and that more volume the better for Moab and the sand on the fireroads? I'm leaning Aspen 2.4 and bring a back up set with Rekon Race/Rekon?

· Registered
1,030 Posts
I haven't ridden everything on the Moab Rocks course, but I've ridden my XC bike there with my Aspen rear and Ardent Race in the front and didn't have any issues (at least not that tires could solve, haha). My old bike I used Fast Track in the rear and Ground Control in the front with perfectly fine experience.

· Registered
870 Posts
Anything will work. Day 3 there’s a wash that’s decently long, and if it’s really dry you’ll want a high volume tire, otherwise it’s Moab so you can ride anything on the rock.

I’m probably gonna have a booster rear and a regolith front.

· Registered
2,198 Posts
I've raced it twice. You're thinking about it the right way. High volume, low knob is the way to go. It's rough, with a bit of sand, high volume tires help with both. Grip isn't really an issue, at least not as it contributes to overall pace on course.

Run whatever you're favorite brand offers in that variety. I rode Thunder Burts front and rear to 2nd GC and a stage 3 win in 2015. 2.25", which were large at the time. 2.4" would have been even better.

· Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I raced Moab Rocks this past week and it was awesome. I ran Rekon Race 2,4s and they were great. My teammates ran Aspen 2.4s, 2.35 Ground Controls and one raced 2.25 Mezcals. Everyone had zero tire issues during the race, so I guess all were good choices. I would stay as big and fast as you are comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.