Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm not following why this costs $400....for the three days? I'd rather go ride on my own and save the money unless this includes lodging.

I'm not sure but weather could be great or also suck, so not sure id spend that kind of money up front to register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly of Kent
12,357 Posts
Even at the $299 price point, you're paying $100 a day to wake up at a central location of your choosing, ride to a staging area, and race. If they were providing some sort of logistical value (food, housing, transportation, etc), I could understand the cost, but they aren't. $399 is just insane.

This is basically linking three single loop XC races together. I've never done a 30 mile XC race that cost more than $40, let alone more than $100. I'm sure it will be a great event but the value just isn't there for me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even at the $299 price point, you're paying $100 a day to wake up at a central location of your choosing, ride to a staging area, and race. If they were providing some sort of logistical value (food, housing, transportation, etc), I could understand the cost, but they aren't. $399 is just insane.

This is basically linking three single loop XC races together. I've never done a 30 mile XC race that cost more than $40, let alone more than $100. I'm sure it will be a great event but the value just isn't there for me.
RME is between $70-85 for the 32 mi. distance. But yeah, that puts three races at $255 max.

I had similar questions re: the pricing. It's not even clear if there's great support, etc.... (Like the Firecracker 50, which totally spoiled me forever and is worth every penny, IMO.)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This is a great race with great support. I registered early for the 2015 race and believe it was under $300. Although the price of admission hurt, I felt it was worth every penny. On course support is better than average and the courses themselves are tons of fun (once you get past that opening climb up Sand Flats rd).

If you do it, an XC bike will work, but I would recommend a 120mm fork. Not required, but it certainly helps as the course is rough. I raced a 120/130 mm bike (Salsa Horsethief) with dropper post and did fairly well.

Also look for tough, fast rolling tires with some volume to them to handle the rocks and rough nature of the course.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Can you elaborate on the support offered?
On course aid stations (fairly frequent), food & beer at the end of stages, free beer at the evening awards/meeting/party/slide show in the park.

I felt it was too expensive when I registered, but after the race, I felt it was a fair price. I was bummed that they did away with the overall cash awards between 2014 and 2015 though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
On course aid stations (fairly frequent), food & beer at the end of stages, free beer at the evening awards/meeting/party/slide show in the park.

I felt it was too expensive when I registered, but after the race, I felt it was a fair price. I was bummed that they did away with the overall cash awards between 2014 and 2015 though.
I appreciate that they have food and beer at the end and for some that's nice. However this is an XC race and the last thing I would want is a bunch of beer and hamburgers or hot dogs when I have to race again the next morning. At $133.33 per race I still don't get it. The Winter Park race series is like $40 or $45 a race and have fresh fruit, Gatorade, chips, etc. at the end of the race. For this price I could go to a steak dinner each night and still have money left over.

To each their own but there's no way I'd spend that kind of money for this type of race where travel is required. With lodging at $100/night plus gas you're looking at almost $1,000 coming from the Denver area. Crazy...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I appreciate that they have food and beer at the end and for some that's nice. However this is an XC race and the last thing I would want is a bunch of beer and hamburgers or hot dogs when I have to race again the next morning. At $133.33 per race I still don't get it. The Winter Park race series is like $40 or $45 a race and have fresh fruit, Gatorade, chips, etc. at the end of the race. For this price I could go to a steak dinner each night and still have money left over.

To each their own but there's no way I'd spend that kind of money for this type of race where travel is required. With lodging at $100/night plus gas you're looking at almost $1,000 coming from the Denver area. Crazy...
I had beer after each stage, thoroughly enjoyed each drink and still did fairly well.. :)

I completely understand your points, and at $400 I may not have registered. But like I said, I registered early for the discount, and once the race was completed, I felt in no way ripped off. But I didn't pay for lodging, I camped with my family.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

And it's all relative, that Winter Park series seems like a total rip off compared to some of the $15/race weeknight series out there...but you still pay for it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I did the race in 2015, the last year they had it. I also got in on the early bird pricing then, and for March 2017. Most stage races and marathon distance events in general avg about $100 a day. So the pricing for Moab Rocks was not an issue for me. I saved $$ by camping.

The event was very well run. Registration bag is stocked full of stuff, including a jersey. Aid stations were very well stocked. Evening awards/party offered free swag and free beer in a group/party atmosphere. There was prizing every night as well if you hit the podium.

Stages take about 3+ hours to complete for a majority of the field. So while they call it an XC stage race the Moab terrain dictates differently. Moab miles are simply slower and more demanding. Figure 90% of the field is getting 3+ hours a day on the bike.

Overall, it's a good time and a good way to experience Moab. Especially for those who have never ridden in/around Moab. The Trans-Rockies crew are good people and go above and beyond to make sure you enjoy yourself.

As for bike to be used....
- 100-120mm full suspension
- Tire with a strong casing, I ran Continental Race King 2.2 ProTection
- Dropper post

Here are Strava files from 2015
https://www.strava.com/activities/410275668
https://www.strava.com/activities/411087964
https://www.strava.com/activities/411677715

Hope this helps

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, thanks Jeff! This is sounding pretty good... I can also camp and save $$.

Are aid stations often enough to only run a small bottle? (I have tiny frame so I can only hold like 20 oz.)

The only thing I haven't ridden is Klondike. Sounds like my current race rig will be perfect (120 front/100 rear, dropper post), just have to make a decision on tires.

I doubt I'll be on the podium, since I'm under 40 and will be in open... But you never know!

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
I can't comment on support / logistics, but those courses are not the most appealing riding to be had in the Moabs.

Slog up Sand Flats Rd for 2 hrs? Ride through the sand-pit of doom at the base of Gemini Bridges twice?

Ugh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts