Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
annoyingly cautious
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife loves to ride. Not ready for the big drops and lunges; her hand adapter is going to be modified so she can lift up the front wheel.
 

Attachments

·
annoyingly cautious
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cup modifications

The top of the cup is going to be closed off a little more so she can flex her wrist upwards to pull up on the handlebar. The back will be a bit wider for easier release. Our neighborhood orthopedic surgeon came up with the concept and questions her carefully to figure out what to do next. He has her ride around the street and watches how she rides, etc. What a great neighbor!
 

·
Squalor
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Very Cool indeed.

Do you know the name of the company that makes the adapter, and do you know if they make such a device for a lower leg.

A buddy of mine that had shown some interest in riding just had a pretty bad motorcycle crash (still in a semi-conscience state 3 weeks after the wreck) and they had to ampute his right leg just about the knee. I know it will be along time before he is able to do any kind of strenuous activity, but I thought it may bring up his morale to know that such opportunities exist.

Thanks and great post!

LP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
COOL!!!

My GF is missing 3 fingers on her left hand, she has her index finder and thumb. Although she can hold the handlebars, she has trouble braking. So I found that the Hope C2 brakes are a cross country caliper with downhill brake levers. Downhill brakes have dual calipers so the brake levers push enough fluid for 2 sets of calipers. So I hooked the rear brake into the blead valve of the front brake and run both brakes on the one lever. I then put new pads on the rear and more worn pads on the front so that it would grab the rear first...

How do you have the brakes set up???

I can't wait to show her this link for a little inspiration!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
lanpope said:
Very Cool indeed.

Do you know the name of the company that makes the adapter, and do you know if they make such a device for a lower leg.

A buddy of mine that had shown some interest in riding just had a pretty bad motorcycle crash (still in a semi-conscience state 3 weeks after the wreck) and they had to ampute his right leg just about the knee. I know it will be along time before he is able to do any kind of strenuous activity, but I thought it may bring up his morale to know that such opportunities exist.

Thanks and great post!

LP
They do exist, I remember seeing a guy on the trail with a setup for his lower leg, it incorporated a rear air shock (dont know much other than that unfortunately). He was pretty quick too, rode with him a bit and we even passed a few guys.

Good to see there are options out there, says alot to the people with limbs in tact who are outta shape with no excuse except laziness...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
If you are interested I have a few shifters that integrate front and rear derailleur control into a single twist shift controller. They are kind of bulky but may work well for your wife if you haven't figured something else out. I've never known what to do with them. Let me know if you want pic's.
Art
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,491 Posts
Try this...

Not sure if more ideas were requested, but here are a few things I've done in the past for people with varying arm/hand problems:

-For folks who have one arm significantly shorter than the other, get 2 stems (one shorter by however much you need) and simply stack them one on top of the other on the steerer. You can do quite a bit of adjusting to get just the right reach for each arm this way. Cut a handlebar in half (the clamp area is usually wide enough to do this, if in doubt use 2 bars) and mount one half on each stem. You can also make one bar wider than the other side if necessary. Works great!

-For those who need to do all braking/shifting with one hand, there are a bunch of possibilities.
-Use a trigger shifter and gripshift together (or grip/trigger+thumbie or bar-end shifter) to allow use of a full drivetrain. 2 rear shifters will work fine with a little fiddling.
-Use a Rohloff hub to allow all shifting from one side ($).
-Use a BMX lever designed to pull 2 cables (www.danscomp.com), and make sure that the rear brake engages a little earlier than the front. With oversized rotor mechanical discs, this works amazingly well.

I'm always impressed by what people can overcome! Kudos to your GF for getting out on the bike!

-Walt
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,019 Posts
Walt, I was expecting you to beat me in suggesting a steering dampener!
I was imagining what it would be like to really ride with one hand, and all I could see was my front wheel snapping away from me. Steering dampener seems like a standard issue thing for one-handed riders?

There is or was a one-armed man posting on MTBR before. He had 2 Avid brake levers mounted on one side, he could operate them individually I think.

Consider or test the seemingly goofy anti-block springy V-brake noodles, at least for a front brake. Possibly helpful when you're linking 2 brakes to one lever? You could even do it to a front mechanical disc brake of course.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,491 Posts
Good call!

It's a "damper", not a "dampener" (no need to moisten yourself while riding).

Sorry. Pet peeve. Good call, Clox. I hadn't thought about that - steering damper might be really useful. Theyr'e pricey, but might be worth it! I certainly have been saved from ridiculous crashes plenty of times thanks to my Hopey - and I've got 2 full-sized arms!

-Walt
 

·
annoyingly cautious
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Our LBS guru originally used the BMX thing on her comfort bkie. When he did it on the 292 he just didn't like the way it felt. He found in a catalogue a brake lever that takes in 2 brake cables. Works great, esy to adjust. "The FD is on a grip shifter and the rear on an upside-down trigger. I tried dual grip shifters but she didn't like the way it felt, and she found it more fatiguing than the rear trigger.

AscentCanada said:
COOL!!!

My GF is missing 3 fingers on her left hand, she has her index finder and thumb. Although she can hold the handlebars, she has trouble braking. So I found that the Hope C2 brakes are a cross country caliper with downhill brake levers. Downhill brakes have dual calipers so the brake levers push enough fluid for 2 sets of calipers. So I hooked the rear brake into the blead valve of the front brake and run both brakes on the one lever. I then put new pads on the rear and more worn pads on the front so that it would grab the rear first...

How do you have the brakes set up???

I can't wait to show her this link for a little inspiration!
 

·
annoyingly cautious
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm seriously considering a Hopey for her; nothing too good for the wifey, especially if keeps her riding more!

Walt said:
It's a "damper", not a "dampener" (no need to moisten yourself while riding).

Sorry. Pet peeve. Good call, Clox. I hadn't thought about that - steering damper might be really useful. Theyr'e pricey, but might be worth it! I certainly have been saved from ridiculous crashes plenty of times thanks to my Hopey - and I've got 2 full-sized arms!

-Walt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Glove SPD's?

I don't know if these would help, and i'm not sure exactly what they are, but at Speedgoats bike they show some bike gloves that have spd clips in the palm, could that help her and on that side? I'm guessing that there would be some clip to mount on the handlebar?. check out the link about one page down

http://www.speedgoat.com/blog.asp

COOL PICS, I'm jealous you were in moab.

drc said:
My wife loves to ride. Not ready for the big drops and lunges; her hand adapter is going to be modified so she can lift up the front wheel.
 

·
Cassoulet forever !
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
unfortunately, this was an April fools joke...




As for E.G.S, i know the product because it was a French brand, were one of my friends used to work.

I have got an "upcage" rear derailleur, that i like a lot, and that is a piece of collection nowadays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
I was thinking the other day that you could mount two brakes on one handlebar by extending the handlebar and mounting the second brake upside down so that the brake levers pointed at each other. Then you could attach a small cable between the levers. Pulling on that cable would actuate both levers and you could modulate front or rear brakes by pulling inwards more towards the desired lever. Just a thought.

Alternately, one could rig up a cable and pulley system so that pulling on one lever would actuate both levers.
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
drc said:
My wife loves to ride. Not ready for the big drops and lunges; her hand adapter is going to be modified so she can lift up the front wheel.
I personally nominate your family as the two niner family of the year for 2005. Between, you, your wife and your daugther out there in Moab on 29"er's I think a few others might second my nomination. :cool:

Thanks for the pictures in this thread as well as the threads with the photos of your daughter on her Mt. Tam and you on your Lenz.

Two Niner Family of the Year Award!

BB
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top