Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,625 Posts
You'll be fine...

DaveGT101 said:
Can it be done? I've have people tell me it will be way too hot and not to waste my time. Anyone else feel I should try it? It would be my first time to moab.
My first 4 trips to Moab/Fruita all took place between June and August, it was our annual summer vacation trip while in college. It's very doable, just take lots of water and start early in the day. It does get really hot sometimes but use your head and you won't have any problems. That said, my first non-summer trip was last Ocotber and it is nice to be able to ride all day without getting fried. If you can do it earlier or later temps will be much better but if it is a matter of going then or not at all I would say it's a no-brainer, Yes!

·
Domestic Fowl
833 Posts
It actually gets down into the 80's at night sometimes.

You could do it, but you'd probably be more satisfied going somewhere where you woun't be suffering in 90-100 degree heat. I've been there in August and I didn't even feel like riding.

Just my opinion, though.

Might try to catch a native, like hfly, and ask him.

·
Registered
396 Posts
FreeRangeChicken said:
It actually gets down into the 80's at night sometimes.
desert environments usually cool off pretty nicely at night. i've been in moab in june, and it was hot during the day, but not any hotter than warm weather in california during the day.

ride early mornings and late afternoons. ride up in the lasals (it'll be perfect in the high mountains). plan some swimming or rafting. should be fine. i wouldn't advise riding the entire white rim trail in a day that time of year, but i know some guys who did.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Still hot...the internet is a wonderful thing
Avg. Temps
Scroll down a bit on that page.

Generally the best time to visit WEATHER WISE, is springish or fallish...summerish too hot, winterish too cold. Year round is doable though if you got the will.

·
Registered
136 Posts
MOAB was on my list of places to go this summer. I initially wanted to try and plan a trip at the end of the semester (end of May) but circumstances kinda screwed me on that (financial BS). Hopefully I might be able to wait until fall to plan a trip, but I was looking at the average temps for the area on the Internet the other day and if I can't get people together to go in the fall, I wouldn't want to be out there in the middle of summer. Hot and a lack of shade makes for a bad day. That is just my opinion though. Colorado would most likely be my summer destination unless someone can give me some advice on where else to go. I just want to experience some good riding out West without a lot of god damn tourists...is that too much to ask?

·
it's....
2,094 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
Still hot...the internet is a wonderful thing
Avg. Temps
Scroll down a bit on that page.

Generally the best time to visit WEATHER WISE, is springish or fallish...summerish too hot, winterish too cold. Year round is doable though if you got the will.
Crap! I'm going there around July 4th. Your link shows 101 degrees average in July.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,762 Posts
Why not Little Moab in the Columbia River Gorge?

The average temp is in the low 80's and the sun is out every day. Fly into Portland and head east until you hit Hood River, head across the bridge, take a right, and go up to Syncline. Mountain biking nirvana!

Jaybo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.