Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did in fact launch for Moab on the appointed date as planned, but I made a slight detour after only 119.4 of the 3600 miles.

Circumstances have conspired to prevent my re-departure, but I'm confident that someday (maybe soon) the stars will align and I'll get down there.

Ken

Attachments

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
Slow going

when you take a break every 120 miles. Seriously though, I hope that nothing was damaged during your detour and that the rest of your trip is smooth.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, s'all good.....

scrublover said:
[email protected]! Well, at least you're uninjured, right?

No bike damage, I hope. And the truck looks like it came out alright in the long run, yeah?
No injuries to anyone, only slight damage to the Burro bike, flatted one tire on the truck, broke the windshield (by shearing off a road sign), trashed a power mirror, and ripped all the plastic crap off the bottom. 110 gallons of fuel in the back stayed put and didn't spill, but the plastic tool box exploded spreading tire chains, 20 ton jack, straps, flares, et cetera over a half acre or so. Every time I go by there I stop and see what's visible as things thaw out.

For leaving the road at 60 it went as well as I could have hoped.

Shovelled snow for 2.5 hours, broke 2 winch cables on wrecker number one, drug wrecker number 2 sideways for a bit, but finally was out of the ditch after a pleasant 5 hour stay.

An hour of chopping snow from the engine compartment so the fan could turn, air up a tire, and I was mobile again.

One windshield, $295. One power heated extendable trailer mirror, $305. Walking around talking about it all without hurting anyone, priceless.

If you get over the mountains to Moab say hi to that hfly guy, eh?

Ken

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
AK Ken said:
If you get over the mountains to Moab say hi to that hfly guy, eh?

Ken
will do. won't be able to get over there for another month or so, schedule-wise, but hope to a few times before it gets too hot for my tastes.

wow. impressive carnage, in a sick sorta' way.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah.....

brado1 said:
You know off to the side there are two damn squirrels High fiving each other! fuggers!"

That's a hilarious commercial...

"Glad you're allright...Good thing you had that brand new truck...anything smaller and that would've sucked!
Maybe something really small woulda stayed on top of the crust! The truck was due for a scratch or two anyway; it had almost a thousand miles on it!

Ken

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish,,,,

Hollis said:
just flatten the bunny & dont try to save its furry little life! :D

Glad the Pilot & Co-Pilot are safe.
...I had a furry excuse. In this case, the co-pilot was Dog (the old one, sleeping in the back seat).

Ken

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shoulda stopped sooner.

STinGa said:
when you take a break every 120 miles. Seriously though, I hope that nothing was damaged during your detour and that the rest of your trip is smooth.
If I'd have stopped at 115 miles and slept for ten minutes it would have saved a lotta time in the long run!

Thanks for your kindness.

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Wow Ken!!!

Wow Ken, I'm glad you had a nice "runaway truck ramp" there and not a large boulder/moose/cliff/river/apartment complex/etc. in your way! Geez, you really should come back to Colorado if you're going to drive like that--you would fit right in around here. ;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Who you callin' old???

radair said:
You old fool, everyone knows you shouldn't go offroading with dual wheels. At least you weren't pulling a trailer with Clare sleeping in it.
The whole point of driving that truck outside (a local colloquialism meaning anyplace not in Alaska) was to pull a trailer back with a Bobcat on it. I was actually pretty impressed with the offroad ability of the Dodge (I haven't owned one since I was 16). When you hit the frozen berm hard enough to flat a tire and go airborne for 30 feet and it doesn't even knock the alignment out, that's pretty good.

The guy at the front end shop said that wheel woulda been completely ripped off my GMC, and I'm sure the aluminum diff case woulda likely been busted, CV boots destroyed, 4wd activator ripped out by the roots...once my loyalties shift they really shift, eh?

5 degrees here this morning, trails are staying nice and firm...time to get up on that big white mountain...yer always yakkin' about the Cassin, bring yer axe and come on up!

Ken

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey!

kristian said:
Wow Ken, I'm glad you had a nice "runaway truck ramp" there and not a large boulder/moose/cliff/river/apartment complex/etc. in your way! Geez, you really should come back to Colorado if you're going to drive like that--you would fit right in around here. ;)
There's an avatar I haven't seen in awhile! Clare is in Denver right now, we were supposed to meet in Moab this week for our anniversary...I didn't quite make it but I sent her a nice e-card.

Yup, this was a dandy truck ramp, all things considered.

Are you still Bullitting around down there?

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Bummer!

It's a double shame you are going to miss your anniversary--I almost missed mine last year stuck in Moab of all places :). Gotta love those little car troubles... So are you still going to make it down or are you just going to leave Clare down here in the lower 48?

Yup, I'm still Bulliting--in fact, I haven't been on the hardtail at all this year. I'm sure I'll switch back once the shuttle/lift season starts though--I can't let the Bullit have all the glory :).

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Glad to hear there were no injuries, other than a few small ones for the truck.

Are you going to be at the FFTF by any chance? If so, it would be great to finally meet you.

Hollis and I were thinking of heading over to Moab for a day or two of riding there as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
**airborne??**

Yowz.

There's a story for the grandkids, eh. Not even a moose to blame it on this time, eh?

[rummages through archives for famous moose hair side mirror pic...

comes up empty]

Glad to hear you still have all your teeth!

Pup!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.