Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, but this is long. I want to warn those of you that may consider using Moab Cyclery while visiting. I received very poor customer service, particularly from Johnny, the store manager or owner (whichever he was). Here is my story……

I had an old pair of glasses…..very cheap……that had some severe scratches on the inside due to the arms rubbing the glass everytime you collapsed the glasses. I walked into Moab Cyclery and saw a pair of Chili glasses for about $16. I though, wow, great deal and I can finally get some clear lenses to see though! So, I bought them and off I went for a ride the next day. I had a great time and did not wrecked severely the whole day, let alone have the glasses hit anything. Once back to the car, I pulled the glasses off and the frame snapped releasing one lens and the arm to the ground. One day old life expectancy was not what I considered normal wear. Bum deal but thought, oh well, at least they are only $16. I’ll go back to the shop and get a new pair in exchange for the “obviously” defective frames or just ask for my money back.

I step into the store the next day and talk to a sales guy there. He’s really nice and I explain what happened. The sales guy looks at the frame and glasses and said, “wow, there’s not even a scratch on here”…..implying that it’s pretty obvious that I didn’t crash and snap the frames. He then said that he needed to get the owner, Johnny, for approval.

Johnny comes down and looks at the glasses and said, sorry but we don’t do cash refunds….only exchanges. I then told him that we were leaving town to go back home and what if the same thing happened to “exchanged” pair…….I would basically be stuck with another broken pair and then far away from the store. I told him that I would rather just get my cash back and move on.

Johnny again said that there are no cash refunds because a lot of people come in, buy a pair of glasses, and then return them the next day after riding. I pointed out to him that my case is obviously different because the glasses are broken. He looked at them and said he was “skeptical of my story” because I have my old glasses in hand and that he has never seen a pair of these glasses ever break. So, apparently, this is now MY problem because it has never happened before to anyone else. A little shocked, I ask him point blank, “so, what you’re saying is that you thing I am LYING to you?” And Johnny said, “Yes, I think you are”. WOW…..there’s a statement from an owner.

He then referred to the old glasses I was carrying. So, I then show him specifically the reason why I bought a new pair of glasses. I show him my old ones and point out the scratch from the arms. Looking at the old pair it was pretty obvious to me and the sales guy; however, nothing from Johnny.

I look at the sales guy and he is basically a little surprised of Johnny’s comments. He is obviously in total agreement with me and doesn’t really know what to say. He just sits there silently and shrugs his shoulders in disbelieve of his boss’s comments.

So, I’m basically stuck with a broken pair of glasses. I don’t want the same pair again because the lens is only supported from the top and I think it’s a design flaw somehow. I look at the other glasses he has and they are all more money than my $16. Now it’s principal. I felt it was better to keep the broken glasses than it was to give any more money to a shop that obviously treats it’s customers horribly. Johnny is basically more concerned about money than customer service because he already knows I’m a tourist and am leaving town. From his actions, I think he is basically telling everyone, ‘who cares, you are a tourist just visiting.’

You all be the judge of this shop, but I do want everyone to know how poor Moab Cyclery was and especially the owner/manager Johnny. $16 is nothing…….it’s more of a principle than anything.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Jeff in CO said:
Sorry, but this is long. I want to warn those of you that may consider using Moab Cyclery while visiting. I received very poor customer service, particularly from Johnny, the store manager or owner (whichever he was).
Thanks for the heads up. You've successfully warned me away from shopping at Moab Cyclery.

FWIW, I was pleased with the service I got from Slickrock Cycles while visiting last summer.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
I don't blame the guy at all. For all he knows you broke the glasses through your carelessness and now you want a free pair. Put yourself in his shows and see customers may try to take advantage of shops. Ever hear the old phrase "I was just riding along". The employee is just that, an employee. He does not have to pay for those glasses to be returned. He'll always get paid his hourly rate.

I am not debating if your glasses were faulty at all, just that there are 2 sides to every story. By the way if the glasses were defective, then his only obligation was to replace them. It is not his fault you are from CO.

It reminds me of the time when a customer came in to the shop I worked at years ago. He said he was not subject to sales tax because he was a resident of Australia. My boss said that was fine as long as he paid the shipping costs to Australia and we would ship'em down for him.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 sides to anything...

Logantri said:
I don't blame the guy at all. For all he knows you broke the glasses through your carelessness and now you want a free pair. Put yourself in his shows and see customers may try to take advantage of shops. Ever hear the old phrase "I was just riding along". The employee is just that, an employee. He does not have to pay for those glasses to be returned. He'll always get paid his hourly rate.
I do understand his perspective and I'm sure there are many times he has seen some pretty bogus stories. I also agree that there are two sides of every situation. I have always found that telling the truth from the start, is the best policy and things generally turn out pretty good if you are honest. With this assumption, I was expecting a pretty fair resolution. The thing that gets me is that the owner had the guts to say to my face that he thought I was lying to him. That's probably what had the largest impact on my opinion of the shop.

Also, I was not asking for a free pair of glasses....just my money back for what I thought was a defective pair. I did not ask for a new pair AND a refund as well. That's not fair.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Yeah, it takes some nads to call you a liar to your face. I still think he is only obligated to give you shop credit and not a refund.

I have been to Moab twice several years ago. I remember thinking that Moab Cyclery seemed more of a sales store than a shop (just my perspective, and this was years ago).

I also thought the famous Poisen Spider bike shop had a bunch of people that thought they were a he11 of a lot cooler than they really were. They were down right snobs when I was there. Rim Cyclery was the bomb though. They were way cool and very helpful.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
And your reason for not getting a new pair in exchange was.... ?

You paid $16 for a pair of sunglasses. They are going to be cheap sunglasses. I totally understand them not giving you a cash refund.

If you spend your money on a piece of crap, that is your fault. If you go buy a car and it breaks, they will not refund your money. They will fix it, but they aren't going to give you your money back. If they refund your money, that is their loss. If they just exchange the glasses, they can usually get their money back out of the manufacturer. They didn't make the glasses - they just sell em.

If you had been nice, I bet they would have put that $16 towards a new pair of quality optics.

I've always had great service from every bike shop in Moab. Some better than others, but it is such a highly competitive market that if you make a habit out of screwing your customers you won't be around long.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
forkboy said:
And your reason for not getting a new pair in exchange was.... ?

1.) Couldn't find the the identical glasses (other styles cost more).
2.) He told me I was lying to him.
3.) I did not want to give more money to a store for the treatment I received.

·
nobody
490 Posts
forkboy said:
If they refund your money, that is their loss. If they just exchange the glasses, they can usually get their money back out of the manufacturer.
I don't understand your logic. Let's say for sake of argument the glasses were defective. No matter what Johnny's cost was on those glasses, he'll get credited from the manufacturer. The only loss is the profit from a sale of defective glasses. After he gets a credit from the sunglass maker, it's like the sale never happened.

·
nobody
490 Posts
shiggy said:
I would have exchanged them for $16 worth of something else I needed - or would need later - and been done with it.
Would you honestly have done that after the guy called you a liar to your face?

I realize we're only hearing Jeff's side of the story here but if things really went down that way, I would have done the same thing as Jeff.

If the owner would have politely said something like "sorry, we have an in-store credit exchange policy" then I'd probably find some stuff I needed and call it good.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
art_vandelay said:
Would you honestly have done that after the guy called you a liar to your face?
Rather than eat $16? Yes.

The offer for an exchange was made. For me since Jeff did not want a replacement, the next step would have been to ask for something - anything - else in the same price range. Get it. Get out. Don't go back.

Jeff is the one that brought up "lying". I would have tried not to get to that point in the first place. My experience is you get back the attitude you project.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well they've treated me well on several occasions, particularly the service dept guys with advice or fast bike service. When I buy $16 sunglasses I sure don't expect much, and to be offered store credit is only fair. Was the policy of store credit/exchange only posted? Did your glasses come with a written warranty? Who or what are Chili sunglasses? Just how did you "pull" them off and break them? Perhaps you can go to them for satisfaction in any case. I would have have taken them up on the credit offer personally and be done with it. The law is generally caveat emptor (buyer beware); I think that definitely applies in the case of cheap sunglasses (is that ZZ Top I hear?). I don't remember if their policy was posted or not, though, I was there last week (they were helping my buddy tighten the cranks a previous shop back home hadn't apparently torqued down properly), but I do note on the receipt for something I purchased that policy is not stated.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sorry

I disagree with the buyer beware stuff.I'm from the old school of "The customer's always right". If the guy called me a liar, I don't think I would have handled it so well.I see this kind of attitude more and more now days. I will take your hint and stay away.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Customer is always right isn't old school, it's rather new school....but not everyone does that is the point nor should you expect it because you want it...

·
sadly, like the element
400 Posts
Work the other side of the counter, it's an experience dealing with people with the attitude that they're always right and you're always wrong. Calling the customer a liar to their face is a little over the line, but giving them their options and having them refuse to resolve the situation with the given alternatives is frustrating from the employee's side, and an everyday occurance in retail. I am not saying what he did at all was right, or polite, I'm just ranting about being the other side of the counter.

In regards to the $16 glasses, I buy cheap ($20) glasses because it's a heckuva lot easier to justify to myself breaking them or losing them than having lost a pair of $120+ Oakleys which are yet still $.15 worth of plastic and a name. I'd have taken the replacement and gone on with my trip.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
art_vandelay said:
I don't understand your logic.
That's unfortunate.
art_vandelay said:
Let's say for sake of argument the glasses were defective.
OK
art_vandelay said:
No matter what Johnny's cost was on those glasses, he'll get credited from the manufacturer.
Maybe.... Ok, let's pretend he will. For the sake of argument.
art_vandelay said:
The only loss is the profit from a sale of defective glasses. After he gets a credit from the sunglass maker, it's like the sale never happened.
That's because you don't understand retail mentality.

Say Johnny paid $5 from the manufacturer for those sunglasses. He sold them to a tourist for $16. He is now ahead $11. He goes home and does the books for the night.

The next day, same tourist comes back in wanting his money back for some sunglasses he broke (doesn't matter if they were "defective - he BROKE them. They were in one piece when he left).

If Johnny offers him a store credit of $16 he still has the chance to maintain the $11 profit from the day before.

If he gives him the money back, he removes $16 from the register, and he is now down $16 for the day. He will have to send them back to the manufacturer (+shipping) and get them replaced. Then he will get his $5 back, and still be down $11 from where he was on the day shortly after the Tourist bought the glasses.

If they were new and unused, he could possibly give a refund. He could put them back into inventory and pretend like the sale never happened. He would still be down the $11, but some nicer shops will refund your money. But they are used (and broken) and he will be out at least the cost of the glasses until he can get them replaced by the mfgr (sometimes months).

TENS OF THOUSANDS of businesses work like this. If they didn't, they would all go under. Only places that sell extremely high volumes of items can afford to offer full refunds on USED goods.

If places didn't have policies like this, you would have huge numbers of people buying ski coats, goggles, helmets, bike shoes... whatever - using it ONE time, and returning it.

If you want to make a purchase and return it for a full refund with no questions asked, go to Wal Mart.

·
Registered
248 Posts
shiggy said:
Jeff is the one that brought up "lying". I would have tried not to get to that point in the first place. My experience is you get back the attitude you project.
in reading the story, the manager brought up lying in his explanation of why they had a no cash refund policy. stating he was skeptical of jeff's story, and pointing out that jeff had his old glasses wasn't too bright if he planned to keep things pleasant.

if the manager would have just blamed things on store policy, nothing he could do, and then suggested buying a t-shirt or something else close to the 16 bucks, jeff may have been much more receptive.

i get pretty steamed when i start getting the vibe that someone's treating me like i'm a liar.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.