Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
More Chasmism
798 Posts
I generally ride off road around Moab throughout the winter, but not this year.

Much more snow on the ground than in years past (more than many old timers can ever remember seeing) has raised the humidity and allowed an inversion to dwell over the town and surrounding desert for the last month. Not a day higher than the mid twenties in temperature. Moab has been significantly colder than SLC and Denver, even Durango, this month. All the trails are still mostly socked in with snow. Even the stuff with the favorable SW exposure has poor riding conditions.

I highly recommend going elsewhere for the next several weeks. Sedona's winter riding weather always blows away Moab's, but this year the divide is even greater. Vegas, Bootleg, St. George, Sedona, The Sonoran Desert -- all much better choices.

This (inversion) too shall pass, but not for a while yet.

hfly

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be funny, to say I skied Moab. I live in Breckenridge so I'm heading out for a little backcountry tour right now. We've got a below average snowpack (could you spare 6"?) but there's enough to not worry about hittin stuff.

When things dry out down there could post? I'll keep an eye on the Utah forum.

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
You can ski the La Sals. People backcountry there all the time. They are very avalanche prone...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just got back from a little business trip to Moab last night. Usually I can put the word business in " " since there's always room for play. However, Moab is cold and white right now, as seen in the above pics.

The bike is still broke; but, I coudn't have ridden the trails I'd want to anyway. I also took the chalk and shoes to do a little bouldering perhaps... nope. Big bend was cold and snowy as I drove up river to my appointment.

I did get into the park and hike up to Delicate Arch. Although snowy and cold (Ranger said they had 11" in the campground last storm) it was quite an experience to catch a sunset behind delicate arch... and be the only person within miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.