Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I are going to do a road trip next month to Moab and Durango. I'm currently looking into what rides to do. I was wondering how Porc. Rim compares in difficulty to South Mountain. The guide book I got from the library made it sound pretty hairy, until you read that the author is pimping his guide service. If it's no worse than National I'm down for it.
Also we're looking for some recs for the Durango area, and we might get a half day or so in Fruita.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
kendogg said:
A friend and I are going to do a road trip next month to Moab and Durango. I'm currently looking into what rides to do. I was wondering how Porc. Rim compares in difficulty to South Mountain. The guide book I got from the library made it sound pretty hairy, until you read that the author is pimping his guide service. If it's no worse than National I'm down for it.
Also we're looking for some recs for the Durango area, and we might get a half day or so in Fruita.
Thanks,
Ken
With the exception of one section at the end of Porc, National is more technical than Porc Rim IMHO

·
slower than you
1,363 Posts
porcupine v national

kendogg said:
I was wondering how Porc. Rim compares in difficulty to South Mountain.
Ken
they are very different trails, these two. to me, porcupine is a longer, less technical ride, in the main... where national is a shorter more technical ride, imho. riding national all the way to telegraph and back on classic might compare, lengthwise, to porcupine...but im just guestimating, based on feel.

porcupine is a fun ride with lots of varying character. there are technical portions, but they are shortlived and mostly pointed down, making them somewhat less of a challenge than riding up national from guadalupe. porcupine also has a looong fast section, a longish dirtroad to climb, and a few killer overlooks. literally. tho none as killer as those on portal across the ditch on poison spider mesa.

i love porcupine rim; if you can ride national, you can certainly ride it. it's not to be missed. but ride the entire thing, don't shuttle. it's a lovely ride out/up and a fun ride back/down. to shuttle it would be, to me, to miss out on the real beauty of the area. you're traveling far to fast on the downward leg to look around much.

when youre done, stop off at the colorado about a mile down the highway from trail's end... a wade into the cold brown/green waters is just the thing after a hot morning on the rim. and, as you probably know, there's fresh spring water at the intersection where the highways meet further down towards town.

have fun!

ps. todd campbell's 'above and beyond slickrock' is the only moab guidebook you will ever need. i highly recommend it.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Durango Mt. Ski resort

formerly Purgatory (I guess the marketing guys thought people didn't like the idea of going to Hell) Mt. resort didn't have much of a "trail system" a few years back, but with a national DH races and some interest, they seem to be steping it up a bit.

If you have, or are bringing your DH bike, this place is worth a days lift pass. Pro level DH course, and a really fun bobslead ride (one of those mt. side fibreglass thingies)

Pict from the resorts home page: http://www.durangomountainresort.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
my thoughts

Porc. rim is a must do when you go to Moab. Much of it is jeep road and there are some good technical lines and jumps...you just have to look for them. The views are great which is part of what makes the trail a must do. Do be prepared for it to be a zoo. Because it is mostly shuttled you tend to get caught up in huge waves of vacationers, many with varying abilities. If you like National you will love porc.
You should try to hook up with a local as there are many optional trails that may not be on all or any of the maps. I also rec Amassaback (sp) for views and terrain.
Fruita is awesome too! You can get a ton of riding in there in a very short amount of time. My personal opinion is the Fruita offers a far superior trail system than Moab. Much of Moab is jeep road or open rocks where Fruita is true singletrack that is well make, flowing and maintained with mtbikers interests in hand. I'm not knocking Moab, I love it's technical aspects, scenery and bike vibe but I think over all Fruita has better xc trails. Check out Over The Edge shop in Fruita for info.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. We were origionally planning on spending a couple of days in fruita as well, but I didn't like the idea of breaking camp every two days, and since I live in the desert, I'd like to stay in the trees, hence Durango. We're also wanting to get some fly fishing in. I'll probably check out Fruita for a day though, on the way down to Durango. What would be a good ride ~2-4 hours long?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
kendogg said:
Thanks,
Ken
IMO, S. Mountain is much more technical that Porc Rim (that is, National). Actually, it's pretty comparable to Desert Classic with the exception of a couple places. But IMO, anybody with even a semblance of skills can do Porc Rim no problem. In fact, I'd venture to say, it's a great trail for beginners too, since a majority of the trail is very, very wide (there are a couple places they should get off).

The two things Proc Rim has are the views, and the exposure. When the trail finally turns to single track, you are kind of close to a cliff (maybe 10-20 yards, but enough to notice) for a short period of time. But it's a must do IMO.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Porcupine Rim will be no problem compared to most of National. There are a few sections to watch out for. My take on Moab is simple. Do it once to do it and then never return. Fruita is much much better for mountain biking. I mean much better. Moab gets all the "pub" but it is really not that great. Very scenic, yes, but the riding is not all that. Slickrock, for example, is fun for 10 minutes of XC riding. Then, get me the hell out of there.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Porc is a blast!

Porc has a lot to offer, sustained speeds far in excess of what you can get on National for starters, which is quite fun for flying off of and over the rocks on the jeep road. Don't knock it just because a good portion of it is jeep road. Much of it is Holbert/Morman like, just wider with more lines, some are easier and some are sick, which allows people to bypass the sick lines which you cannot do on most of SoMo.

The stair case on Porc Rim proper is just as challenging as the Waterfall on National if not more. There are also some good 4-5 foot drops on both the jeep road and the 1-track. I venture to say if you are fortunate enough o hit the trail with some local knowledge you won't find much to complain about.

I say shuttle it and take your time finding fun lines and sweet side rides that others may blow past. Also there is a way to skip the jeep road climb and pick up some descending 1-track instead, can't remember the name of it but it joins just before the big scenic overlook. I didn't get to ride this section due to mud, but check with your shuttle driver if you choose to go that way.

The slickrock freeriding up in Moab rocks; wide, wide open terrain with drops and bowls galore that just boggle the mind. There is a lode of riding up there, I plan on multiple return trips.

What a bunch of SoMo snobbery! :D

Attachments

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
SunDog said:
The slickrock freeriding up in Moab rocks; wide, wide open terrain with drops and bowls galore that just boggle the mind. There is a lode of riding up there, I plan on multiple return trips.

What a bunch of SoMo snobbery! :D
Actually, I am a T100 mafioso, but I like SoMo much better most of the time.

Let me re-state my opinion.

Slickrock - excellent place if you are a freeriding hooligan. Lots of open terrain, drops, bowls, etc. If you like to make trouble at soccer matches, listen to Limp Biscuit and guzzle beer, you will love Slickrock. If you like to watch golf tournaments, listen to Edie Brickell and quietly sip wine at trattorias, then ride it once and never return. :D

PS, Sundog, you don't look like you are having any fun in those pictures. ;)

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Just proffering a differnt opinion sir Dirdir

I sip wine, listen to Greg Brown, and play with my cats. But I have been known to swill tequila, hump table legs, listen to Ramstien, and run a rodent death-camp. However I have not been known to burn tires, play golf, listen to Oasis, eat tofu tacos, and drink Zima.

Either way its fun and there is some killer 1-track trail riding and skipdidillyishous freeriding and dirt jumping around Moab, or so I've been told.

You're right, I?m not happy riding in the pic's, because I am not in them. But you're wrong about Slickrock, as I was referring to "slickrock" the type of terrain, not Slickrock the trail. :p

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
You Are Correct Again Sir

SunDog said:
I sip wine, listen to Greg Brown, and play with my cats. But I have been known to swill tequila, hump table legs, listen to Ramstien, and run a rodent death-camp. However I have not been known to burn tires, play golf, listen to Oasis, eat tofu tacos, and drink Zima.

Either way its fun and there is some killer 1-track trail riding and skipdidillyishous freeriding and dirt jumping around Moab, or so I've been told.

You're right, I?m not happy riding in the pic's, because I am not in them. But you're wrong about Slickrock, as I was referring to "slickrock" the type of terrain, not Slickrock the trail. :p
Ok SunDog, you win. I am just trying to be a shock jock. I do love Porcupine Rim. I do not love Slickrock, as in the Slickrock trail. Up down, up down, wait, up down, up down, wait. Moab is just hyped to the point that it is, as Kramer says "out of control".

What the hell is a rodent death-camp?

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again!

I'll definately hit porc rim, and slickrock trail. Probably shuttle, cause we wanna check out arches, and only have two days in the promised land before heading out to CO. Unless of course I can find me a herd of hot wives, who can brew stronger than 3.2 beer...

Whoa, what the hell am I saying? I can hardly manage 1 wife and kids, let alone polygamy. I'm not so sure plural marriage would be all that great. The nagging honey-do's would probably go up exponentially. Besides, when would I get to ride my bike?

Oh, I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I want, and Edie Brikell isn't it.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
kendogg said:
I'll definately hit porc rim, and slickrock trail. Probably shuttle, cause we wanna check out arches, and only have two days in the promised land before heading out to CO. Unless of course I can find me a herd of hot wives, who can brew stronger than 3.2 beer...

Whoa, what the hell am I saying? I can hardly manage 1 wife and kids, let alone polygamy. I'm not so sure plural marriage would be all that great. The nagging honey-do's would probably go up exponentially. Besides, when would I get to ride my bike?

Oh, I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I want, and Edie Brikell isn't it.
Speaking of 3.2, if you're looking to carbo load, Eddie McStiff's has the best beer in town (unfortunately, the worst food IMO). If you really want to hump it, you could do Slick Rock AND say Amassa Back one day. Porc Rim (depending on when you go I guess) can take about 2-4 hours if you shuttle (Coyote Shuttle shuttles riders to the trail head), as do Slick Rock and Amassa Back, so you could easily do two rides in one day on the non-Canyons day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.