Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

I haven't posted in here in a long time because I've been in nursing school and working full time at a YRMC in Prescott. I live in Prescott and both my wife and I are single-speeders (she's doing the Whiskey 25 in a week). Too bad I'll be working! I haven't had much time to hit the saddle these days...

Anyway, to celebrate finishing this hellish school and work year, my wife and I are headed to Moab with our boat, bikes, and dogs. HELL YEAH! We have 8 days.

The plan so far: Float Labyrinth Canyon from Green River State Park, UT to Mineral Bottom (60-ish miles, 3-4 days) and then bike our asses off and put our dogs in doggy day-care when we're out on the bikes.

Anyone any general suggestions? Camping? Shuttling (water/bikes)? Food? Anything!? I'm really looking forward to this.

Sorry for the semi-OT thread, but wanted to share my stoke with ya'll.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've done a very similar boat/bike trip-Green River to the Confluence then White Rim.
Check with Coyote Shuttle and Tex's riverways for shuttle and transport info.
For dog day care-Karen's Canine Campground and Moab Veterinary Clinic.
Porcupine Shuttle is great for shuttles to Porcupine/LPS/UPS/Koko/Hazard/Burro and Mag 7.
Lots of free camping around Moab. Off Willow Springs road is popular and gives direct access to Sovereign and Klonzo trails.

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
I'll second the stretch from Mineral Bottom to the confluence. It's a bit more interesting geologically speaking than Labyrinth Canyon. You can arrange a pick up via jet boat to take you back to Moab. Lots of dispersed camping on Island in the Sky as well as the greater Moab area but anything close to Moab proper or the popular attractions sites are designates sites only. Check the sticky in the Utah forum.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Below Mineral you run in to the NPS "no dogs" headache. It can be navigated under the "easier to ask forgiveness than gain permission" MO.

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
None of those rides seem that single-speed friendly to me but to each their own. The newer stuff north of town like the Bar-M loop, Brand Trails, and Circle Q would more fit the bill. Or, go rent some proper 5 or 6" travel bikes; otherwise, the word Epic in your thread title might end up meaning something else. Just my 2 cents but Moab is brutal on the body as well as bike parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW: For those interested, I have a homemade 14' homemade Pygmy Wineglass Wherry (Pygmy Boats: Voted Best Wooden Kayak Kit) and a Harbor Freight 4'x4' trailer that I converted to a 12' boat/utility trailer. Trailer is very close to being done (just need to box the 8' flatbed in).

The boat/adventure trailer will be accentuated with my Surly Karate Monkey (w/Reba front) and my wife's Kona Unit (Chris King'ed out) on the roof. Slobbery mutts in the back seat.

This trip is my guiding-light while I navigate exam/work hell for the next 2 weeks (I work 3 12.5-hour shifts Fri-Sun on a busy nursing unit and go to school Mon-Thurs). Right now I'm hitting cardiac functioning as if I were riding the Whiskey 50 next week.

I want this trip to be the most ridiculous, blissed-out, ****-eating-grin trip of my life.

Cheers,

Will

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
BTW: For those interested, I have a homemade 14' homemade Pygmy Wineglass Wherry (Pygmy Boats: Voted Best Wooden Kayak Kit) and a Harbor Freight 4'x4' trailer that I converted to a 12' boat/utility trailer. Trailer is very close to being done (just need to box the 8' flatbed in).

This trip is my guiding-light while I navigate exam/work hell for the next 2 weeks (I work 3 12.5-hour shifts on a busy nursing unit and go to school Mon-Thurs). Right now I'm hitting cardiac functioning as if I were riding the Whiskey 50 next week.

I want this trip to be the most ridiculous, blissed-out, ****-eating-grin trip of my life.

Cheers,

Will
In that case, then you should also take your skis and go harvest some corn in the La Sals. Good luck with your exams!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
****, not back to the heart, but I will be as soon as I post this, then won't check this post for a solid hour, when I'll need a little break.

Any idea what the snowpack in the La Sal's was like this year? Most likely Springter like N. AZ, eh?

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
****, not back to the heart, but I will be as soon as I post this, then won't check this post for a solid hour, when I'll need a little break.

Any idea what the snowpack in the La Sal's was like this year? Most likely Springter like N. AZ, eh?
You are probably correct but a little better than n. Ariz. The last avy advisory had a 56" base at 10,050' on April 4. Advisory: Moab Area Mountains | utahavalanchecenter.org

I bet you could still get in a 2000' north facing run off Mount Tukuhnikivatz. And the snowpack in the upper Colorado river basin is pretty big. The Green River is gonna rip in another two or three weeks. Bureau of Reclamation - Seasonal Notices: Basin Snowpack

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a feeling that you were going to find the snow pack information -- I was thinking that they had a Snotel site. Thanks!

After healthy consideration of taking our backcountry ski gear, the wife and I came to a mutual decision (rare?) to forgo the hunt for Spring corn.

Before you posted that, I was concerned that the Green was going to be running at low CFS. Now I'm hopeful that we will blow through Labyrinth quite steadily.

Thanks Rockman!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time for a few glasses of boxed wine to take me down from coffee and 7 hours straight of reading about heart disease.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW: Alcohol causes SVR (systemic vascular resistance) and will increase blood pressure if not moderated. SVR will raise blood pressure and can lead to left ventricular hypertrophy -- AKA cardiomyopathy. Stroke, coronary artery disease (CAD), and MI are also possible. With raised BP you're also looking at possible kidney issues, because you're blowing out your nephrons (a natural process with aging, sped up by high BP).

With that said: I'm still fairly certain that exercise is the best medicine we know of, followed by a healthy diet.

I'm going to make my way back to my box of wine now, for my third MANLY glass, and watch "Gravity".

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
I had a feeling that you were going to find the snow pack information -- I was thinking that they had a Snotel site. Thanks!

After healthy consideration of taking our backcountry ski gear, the wife and I came to a mutual decision (rare?) to forgo the hunt for Spring corn.

Before you posted that, I was concerned that the Green was going to be running at low CFS. Now I'm hopeful that we will blow through Labyrinth quite steadily.

Thanks Rockman!
No worries, rocks in the summer and snow in the winter. I moonlight as stormlover on KPAC and have seen you post as well. I have always wanted to ski and bike Moab on the same trip and even took skis once but they languished on top of the car. Too much stellar riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts