Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

A new FS bike selection for me next year is narrowing down to a Moto Lite and I was looking for some more info on sus choices. I did read the earlier thread on coil/air set-ups, but was really wondering if the DHX shock is overkill on the ML. Reason being, I might have a line on a Vanilla fork, and based on the info would want to match it up with a coil. I don't plan on doing anything radical on the trails, but would like to build up a beefier aggressive XC rig that could double as a race bike in the 4" mode. I could use some boutique parts to keep the weight down since I'm a light rider and wouldn't be applying too much pounding while riding.

I guess the real question is, is this bike better suited for a build use similar to say a Blur XC, or is it a true Chameleon (not the SC version) with a variety of set-up capabiliities?

Thanks in advance.

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
IMO the DHX is overkill if you're not a clyde. I'm 230# and the RP3 is working great. I run a TALAS on the front and leave the rear in the 5 inch mode all the time. You never really notice the rear travel until you really need it.

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just call me.....

titusbro said:
IMO the DHX is overkill if you're not a clyde. I'm 230# and the RP3 is working great. I run a TALAS on the front and leave the rear in the 5 inch mode all the time. You never really notice the rear travel until you really need it.
....1/2 a clyde. Wondering if I'll squish the susp much at all! :rolleyes:

Thanks tbro, does seem like the DHX would be more suited for the Super Moto.
Btw, I just got the latest MBA from the grocery store which coincidently has a ML article in it (actually the new carbon Ibis on the cover caught my eye & didn't even see the ML info heh heh) so now I have some more material to study. Decisions, decisions.....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Rp3

IMHO the Fox RP3 is fine, it will save you some weight over the DHX for racing and is very plush in the 5' rear travel setting. Pedals great and accelerates faster in the 4' rear setting. I believe Titus uses custom valved RP3's. I'm very happy with my '05 RP3, have stripped it for a routine clean and it looks pristine inside. Just added grease.

·
good ol dog dreams
187 Posts
RP3 works great as an aggressive cross country shock and if you are light it'll hold up to drops or anything you throw at it. I have my ML built up to do just what you describe and race in endurance races several times a year. I'd suggest a TALAS as well especially if you want to race it every so often, it's nice to lower the front end whenever you need to so you can "quicken" up the steering for racing. For straight up enduro long weekend rides in the mountains I cannot think of a better bike to ride.
Good luck and enjoy building one up!

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel build?

BlackMoth said:
RP3 works great as an aggressive cross country shock and if you are light it'll hold up to drops or anything you throw at it. I have my ML built up to do just what you describe and race in endurance races several times a year. I'd suggest a TALAS as well especially if you want to race it every so often, it's nice to lower the front end whenever you need to so you can "quicken" up the steering for racing. For straight up enduro long weekend rides in the mountains I cannot think of a better bike to ride.
Good luck and enjoy building one up!
Are 1-2 footers considered drops?? :confused: 48 with 4 girls to marry off still, I'm not looking to get into too much trouble, on the trails anyway. :eek:
Seems like part of the "light duty use" All Mountain build, is in the wheels sporting bigger than 2.1 tires. What tire/rim set-ups are you guys running?

Also, Talas vs Float forks? I see the dif's being the "on the fly" travel adjustment of the TAL vs the fixed 130 travel on the Float, to be used more for a "deccent specific" rig I guess.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dt 5.1

JMac47 said:
Are 1-2 footers considered drops?? :confused: 48 with 4 girls to marry off still, I'm not looking to get into too much trouble, on the trails anyway. :eek:
Seems like part of the "light duty use" All Mountain build, is in the wheels sporting bigger than 2.1 tires. What tire/rim set-ups are you guys running?

Also, Talas vs Float forks? I see the dif's being the "on the fly" travel adjustment of the TAL vs the fixed 130 travel on the Float, to be used more for a "deccent specific" rig I guess.

Thanks for the input.
You should consider the DT Swiss 5.1disc rims laced with DT Swiss spokes to DT hubs.
The 4.1d is slightly lighter but significantly narrower (about 22mm vs 28mm). I have the 4.1d DT Swiss wheelset with DT Onyx hubs, well priced if you get it through Titus, but a bit narrow to run wide tyres, my Kenda Nevegal 2.1's (run with Stan's) do squirm on the rim a bit at lower pressures. The Onyx hubs are pretty basic and no that light, you could go for DT 240 if you want to save some weight on your bike and wallet.
Also search the "Wheels and Tires" and shocks forums for good info.

Go Talas if you intend to use both 5' and 4' settings and race as well.

·
good ol dog dreams
187 Posts
JMac47 said:

Thanks for the input.
I don't ride off anything over 3 feet on purpose. :D Most stuff I ride will have up to 3 ft. drops or less. I usually consider anything over 2 feet a drop. Of course when you're flying downhill a 2 ft. rock ledge or root ledge can feel like 4 feet with the transition. One thing is for sure, you'll ride more stuff that you typically would shake your head at and procrastinate riding.
My wheels are real light, King Disc laced to Mavic 517s I believe. I run a 2.5fr/2.3rear WTB Weirwolves when up in the mountains. Locally here I run a 2.3fr/2.1 rear WTB Weirwolves most of the time. Overall bike weight is 27-28 lbs depending on tire set-up.

The versatility is what's so nice with this bike. You are right with the TALAS, if you have a long steep climb it is real nice to be able to adjust the height of the front end. I've found the sweet spot is around 112-118 mm for all around riding. It feels good at 130 on steep downhills.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
More input.....

JMac47 said:

Thanks for the input.
I believe you can custom change the travel in the Float 130 anywhere from 100 mm to 130 mm just like the Vanilla 130. I don't know this for sure, but I think this is correct. This is a "set and forget" function, but IMO the ML rides supurbly up and down at 120 mm.

I built custom spacers (cost me a day of riding and $10 spent at Home Depot) for my Vanilla RLC 130 and it's now a Vanilla RLC 120. Concerning Fox products, if you're not racing or you don't need a travel adjustment fork you might consider the Vanilla fork for aggressive trail riding. You will get better on the trail performance (and reliablity) from the Vanilla with only a very slight weight penalty at much reduce cost to boot.

Regards,

EndUser

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
One of the owners of my LBS just bought himself a new Moto-lite (what does that tell you?). Anyway, he went with a Pike Air U-turn up front. I have to say, it looked pretty bad-ass. And, of course now I really want to try it out myself. :rolleyes:

There has been A LOT of Fox bashing on these boards lately about how "flexy" the Fox 32mm 5" forks are, and how RS offerings are just so much better; especially in consideration of cost. Anyone else noticing this?

I can remember only about a year or so ago when people were having a love-affair with Fox and it was one of the stiffest forks out there. I'll read about someone touting their new fork as the greatest thing ever, and then literally a month later they've eBayed it because it SUCKED compared to their new Pike (or whatever the flavor is this month).

I can't begin to keep up...

·
Paper or plastic?
10,335 Posts
dulyebr said:
One of the owners of my LBS just bought himself a new Moto-lite (what does that tell you?). Anyway, he went with a Pike Air U-turn up front. I have to say, it looked pretty bad-ass. And, of course now I really want to try it out myself. :rolleyes:

There has been A LOT of Fox bashing on these boards lately about how "flexy" the Fox 32mm 5" forks are, and how RS offerings are just so much better; especially in consideration of cost. Anyone else noticing this?

I can remember only about a year or so ago when people were having a love-affair with Fox and it was one of the stiffest forks out there. I'll read about someone touting their new fork as the greatest thing ever, and then literally a month later they've eBayed it because it SUCKED compared to their new Pike (or whatever the flavor is this month).

I can't begin to keep up...
So now you want a PIke? Weren't you complaining earlier about the FR lowers being too heavy? :)

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
zorg said:
So now you want a PIke? Weren't you complaining earlier about the FR lowers being too heavy? :)
Yep, but I got over it. :D

No I don't think I want a Pike. My riding style is very XCish, even more so since I dislocated my elbow last June. Man that hurt!

I would however really like to try it to see what it's like. This "talk" of how much stiffer it is has been eating at me.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
dulyebr said:
Yep, but I got over it. :D

No I don't think I want a Pike. My riding style is very XCish, even more so since I dislocated my elbow last June. Man that hurt!

I would however really like to try it to see what it's like. This "talk" of how much stiffer it is has been eating at me.
I just seperated my shoulder 12 days agoe, so I can relate to the more XCish feeling right now. Though I was finally able to get on the trail again yesterday "if very tenderly" but I'd love to get my hands on a pike. But I haven't even Pushed my Talas yet and I've just got to try that first. And you're right arn't they now saying the Pikes even better than the Pushed Talas already. Like you said theres just no keeping up " at least for me anyway".

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
It's all about what's new, marketing, and rebranding

Yes a lot of biased, subjective Fox bashing lately.

What it boils down to is I think most people have fond memory's about Rock Shox and are softies about them with respect to their contributions to Mountain biking. Ever person I know has at one point in their lives owned and praised RS. Back in 1994 the Judy XC was my first suspension fork and I remember how much fun it was (even thou it was constanly blowing damping units) but there really wasn't any competition until Marzocchi and Manitou stepped up the game and basically killed RS. I suspect SRAMs re-branding and the engineering that has gone into the "new" RS is on par with everything else on the market, but it has the benefit of being both "new" and "old" and "cheaper" all at the same time... it's a marketing dream for SRAM.

Now, I haven't tried any of the new RS's, but I suspect they are no better or worse than Fox's line up which I've had the pleasure of riding with the exception of the 40. Fox deserves, and commands respect given what they've done in only 4 short years of making forks... they like Marzzochi of the 90's upped the playing field and changed our expectations of what suspension should be. I suspect they will loose some market share to RS, but that's competition for you. Basically, it's real easy to bash the guy on top... and that's what people are doing given a precieved cost vs. performance metric. It will be interesting to see how these forks hold up over the next couple years ;).

I'm still convinced Fox has the best five inch fork on the market in their Vanilla line on a price vs. performance metric... simple, sensitive, durible, and reliable. What Fox needs to do is develop a Vanilla TA fork... now that would be impressive!!

Regards,

EndUser

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I've heard....

EndUser said:
I believe you can custom change the travel in the Float 130 anywhere from 100 mm to 130 mm just like the Vanilla 130. I built custom spacers (cost me a day of riding and $10 spent at Home Depot) for my Vanilla RLC 130 and it's now a Vanilla RLC 120.
...but the mechanics are "fixed" @ either 100/130 on the Float, right? (meaning you can't change back/forth during ride like the Talas), similar to how they can drop a 100 down to 80 etc. The Van 125 that might be available is my brothers from his Pyscle Werks xc bike. It really drastically changed the handling and he didn't like the feel while at 125, then had it dropped at a shop to 100, but thought something wasn't right after that either (rattled/leaked). I took it to my lbs for him & had it put back to 125 plus had them check out how the previous opperation looked since it didn't seem right. They replaced the seals/guides for free this time since it didn't look to them like they did it last time as requested. Now it rides great. He's looking to get maybe an 80/105 like a Marathon. I just don't want to necessarlily build a bike up around a fork, if that makes sense.

EndUser said:
Concerning Fox products, if you're not racing or you don't need a travel adjustment fork you might consider the Vanilla fork for aggressive trail riding. You will get better on the trail performance (and reliablity) from the Vanilla with only a very slight weight penalty at much reduce cost to boot.
That's the part I have to figure out, I know the susp thinking has changed from the good 'ol 80mm and stretched to 100mm in xc racing, not sure that a 4" won't cover all my riding/racing needs. :confused:

Now that I have family in AZ/CO the 5 inch boinger concept came to me.

I'll have all winter to ponder it......thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
blackagness said:
TA Vanilla and I'm totally in...
I don't know about a thru axle van130. The idea is very attractive, but what would it do? Do you want a noticeable change in stiffness? My 2006 van130 is a bit flexi, but the flex feels like it is in the steer tube. So they would need to beef that up too.

disclaimer: my van130 is stiffer then my marz MX pro.

·
6,360 Posts
demo_slug said:
I don't know about a thru axle van130. The idea is very attractive, but what would it do? Do you want a noticeable change in stiffness? My 2006 van130 is a bit flexi, but the flex feels like it is in the steer tube. So they would need to beef that up too.

disclaimer: my van130 is stiffer then my marz MX pro.
Bye TA I thought he meant travelle adjust, sorry...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
blackagness said:
By TA I thought he meant travelle adjust, sorry...
on second read, I think you understood correctly. we just might never know....

travel adjust would be cool on a van. but I still want a thur axle too. and a steel steer tube.

·
6,360 Posts
demo_slug said:
on second read, I think you understood correctly. we just might never know....

travel adjust would be cool on a van. but I still want a thur axle too. and a steel steer tube.
Yea a thru axle would be very sweet on that fork, I would think. As for the steer tube is it realy that flexy, I wouldn't have thought that. I'm very sensative to flex, it's my pet peev.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts