Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been diliberating over which 5in bike to get for some time and its come down to the Motolite or the Blur LT. I think I have read every thread about these two bikes on both the Santacruz and the Titus forum that I can find and from what I have read I am pretty sure that I would prefer the ML, my issue is with sizing.

I am 5' 11" with a 32 IN. inseam and a long torso, with pretty long arms. I have always felt like I could use more toptube length in my last few bikes. Right now I ride a Jamis dakar xc pro in a 19". The top tube on my Jamis is 23.75in. and I feel like I cannot really go any shorter than this as Im on the end of the saddle, with it slid all the way back in the post and a 110mm stem.

The Motolite's top tube is 23.25, and the BLT is 23.5. TT length is the only thing that has me leaning towards the BLT. I like the Motolite's steeper head angle (70) as I ride a lot of Tight Technical single track here on the east coast. The BLT has a 69.5 HA and a larger wheelbase, so Im thinking that it wont perform as well on the tight stuff.

I tried the size calculator at the competitive cyclist and it told me that I should most likley be on the Large ML. It actually suggested a 25in TT length, which seems kinda long to me, but would explain why I feel cramped on my last 2 rides. I also called Titus and they told me that I was 'definatly a medium'. So I guess I am really confused now. I dont think that I should be riding the same size bike as dudes who are like 6'3".... :confused:

My other issue is that I will most likley not be able to get a test ride here in NH unless I travel across like 3 states, which would mean that I would have order online. I can get the BLT at my LBS, so another plus for the BLT.....

This summer I bought a 18" Rocky Mountain Slayer, which has the same TT length as the Medium ML and it was way to cramped, I ended up ditching it for my Jamis after 2 weeks of trying and ebaying it. I felt like the Slayer was really slugish as opposed to the nimble Jamis. I am worried I would make this same mistake with the meduim Motolite.

Man, sorry about the essay. Do you all have any suggetsions? I feel like the motolite has all the charicteristics I am looking for in a trail/XC bike but I just dont know about its short TT.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,597 Posts
elsinore said:
Ive been diliberating over which 5in bike to get for some time and its come down to the Motolite or the Blur LT. I think I have read every thread about these two bikes on both the Santacruz and the Titus forum that I can find and from what I have read I am pretty sure that I would prefer the ML, my issue is with sizing.

I am 5' 11" with a 32 IN. inseam and a long torso, with pretty long arms. I have always felt like I could use more toptube length in my last few bikes. Right now I ride a Jamis dakar xc pro in a 19". The top tube on my Jamis is 23.75in. and I feel like I cannot really go any shorter than this as Im on the end of the saddle, with it slid all the way back in the post and a 110mm stem.

The Motolite's top tube is 23.25, and the BLT is 23.5. TT length is the only thing that has me leaning towards the BLT. I like the Motolite's steeper head angle (70) as I ride a lot of Tight Technical single track here on the east coast. The BLT has a 69.5 HA and a larger wheelbase, so Im thinking that it wont perform as well on the tight stuff.

I tried the size calculator at the competitive cyclist and it told me that I should most likley be on the Large ML. It actually suggested a 25in TT length, which seems kinda long to me, but would explain why I feel cramped on my last 2 rides. I also called Titus and they told me that I was 'definatly a medium'. So I guess I am really confused now. I dont think that I should be riding the same size bike as dudes who are like 6'3".... :confused:

My other issue is that I will most likley not be able to get a test ride here in NH unless I travel across like 3 states, which would mean that I would have order online. I can get the BLT at my LBS, so another plus for the BLT.....

This summer I bought a 18" Rocky Mountain Slayer, which has the same TT length as the Medium ML and it was way to cramped, I ended up ditching it for my Jamis after 2 weeks of trying and ebaying it. I felt like the Slayer was really slugish as opposed to the nimble Jamis. I am worried I would make this same mistake with the meduim Motolite.

Man, sorry about the essay. Do you all have any suggetsions? I feel like the motolite has all the charicteristics I am looking for in a trail/XC bike but I just dont know about its short TT.

Couple comments: the ML has a 69 degrees HA in 5x5, not 70. I'm 5'7" and use a small, so 5'11" using a medium sounds right. As for the top tube, you can always play around with a setback seatpost and a longer stem.

·
Who's that guy?
233 Posts
I am certainly no expert on proper bike sizing but I will throw in my .02 cents since I was in a similar position when I bought my Moto-Lite...

I am 6'1" and also have short legs for my height, long torso, long arms, etc. I tried both the medium and large size and went with the large. It almost feels too big for me, but the medium seemed too cramped. If I can't get used to the size, I wall just go with a shorter stem. Other than getting used to a larger size than I was used to, I am completely thrilled with the bike.

So, I guess I would have to agree with Titus, you sound like a medium to me.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Go large

I am 5-11 1/2, with a 32 inch inseam I faced the same problem, I went with the large with a straight seatpost and a 90mm stem I think it is a perfect fit, I ride tight single track in the Lake Tahoe area, great handling bike, wouldnt want to change a thing, it climbs like a goat(with a jet engine strapped to its back)(read that somewhere in this forum). I came off a 19" trek Fuel which had the same TT length as the large ML. If I went with the medium I think I would be too cramped.
Craig

Attachments

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Your problem is well documented. People around six feet in height generally feel in between sizes for this bike. I'm on a medium and I'm 5'9 with a 100mm stem and a straight seat post.

I love my bike, but in your case, I'd seriously consider the BLT if it fits you better.

Plus, what zorg said is true, the Moto-lite actually has a slacker headtube angle than the Blur.

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
What I ride

elsinore said:

I'm 5' 10.5" tall with a 33" inseam. I'm riding a medium ML with a 120mm stem with 30mm of spacers and a 2" rise bar and barends (I know, I'm hopelessly out of fashion, but I'm convinced of the the functional advantages). Before that I had a medium 2002 Switchblade, which had a 23" ETTL, with the same bar and stem. The ML came with a 100mm stem, but I felt the front end wanted to lift a little on steep climbs, so I swapped in the 120 and everything fell into place. I did a quick fit on the competitivecyclist site and came up with a ridiculously long top tube suggestion of 24.5-24.9", so I'd take their fit with a rather large grain of salt, at least for mountain bikes. I have also tried the fit system at wrenchscience.com, and at least they put me on a medium Moto-lite. The saddle height recommendation was spot on with what I use as well (the competitivecyclist was about 3cm higher).
As for handling as compared to the Blur: Titus says they measure the head tube angle (70 degrees) with a 100mm fork, so, as others have stated, with a 125-130mm fork it is reasonable to assume an angle of about 69°. The concensus on this board (with which I concur) seems to be that the sweet spot for handling with a '05 Talas is about 4-5 clicks down from full extension, or 115-118mm. At this extension the head angle should be about 69.5° which is the same as what Santa Cruz states for the Blur LT (though they appear to measure with a 130mm fork). Anyway, I haven't riden a BLT, but I would assume the handling would be very simular.
As to your sizing issue: It appears that you are indeed stradling the top tubes, so to speak, with your current TT being exactly half way between the medium and large ML. Your statement that you feel you are at the limit with the Jamis would lead me to lean towards the large, with a shorter stem perhaps, and a straight post such as a Thomson. On the other hand, perhaps a medium would fit with a longer stem and a laid back post. You also want to consider your position over the cranks, and pushing the seat back could adversely effect that. Your concern for technical handling would weigh in favor of the medium, as a shorter bike, all other things being equal will turn a little quicker than a longer one. So where does that leave us? Smack dab in the middle (or muddle)! I vote for the large. Of course, no amount of analysis can substitute for a seat of the pants evaluation. Titus is planning a demo tour, with a van full of bikes, but no word yet as to where and when. I know, how about a lovely winter vacation to beautiful Tempe, AZ! Tour the factory and ride the demo bikes. You might come back with a Racer-X!! ;)
Just to confuse the issue a bit more, Turner's 5-Spot is a highly regarded trail bike, and the large has 23.9" ETTL. I rode a demo for about a half hour at Fantasy Island in Tucson and liked it a lot. It has a 69° head angle, but really railed the singletrack. Sorry!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I happen to live in NH also. Just bought a 05 1/2 ML frame in large. I'm 5'11 1/2 also, and same inseam. I had a 04 RX100(23.38 TT) that someone convinced me to buy in a medium frame with a 120 stem. Maybe I have a long reach but always felt cramped so I sold it. Haven't built the ML yet but am about to start. Shoot me an email sometime and you can check out my large when it's ready. Going to post pics as well when done.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I am 5'10 with 32inseam, ride a medium with 110mm stem and ea70 setback post. 20mm spacers, 15mm riser bars.

I have a friend 6'0" with 34 inseam and my bike fits him by cranking up the post 2inches. I think he could also ride the large with no setback.

I think you should go large because of your torso and maybe zero setback post if necessary

·
Dan
84 Posts
I am 5' 10.5 with a 31.5 inseam. I ride a medium ML with 100mm stem, riser bars with about an inch of stack, and a straight seatpost. I also had a med Blur classic which I rode with a 110mm stem, similar bars and stack to the ML, and a setback seatpost.

The top tube on the Blur classic recently broke, and Santa Cruz just warranteed it with a Blur LT, so at this point I have both bikes you are looking at. (BTW, Santa Cruz cust service was truely awesome & hassle free in resolving this. They replaced the front triangle for free even though it was technically past the 2 year warranty period.)

I am also an east coast rider, and the med is the right size for me. I tend to run the talus closer to 100mm to increase the headtube angle for climbing and technical riding around here. I end up showing a lot of seatpost on both bikes, but not max'ing out. As such I guess I end up with a drop of about 1/2 to 1 inch from saddle top to riser bar top. If that is what you like, then get the med. If you want that measurement to be flat or less, then go with the large.

I haven't measured it yet, but the TT on the med Blur LT feels shorter then the med ML to me. In any case, the very slight differences between TT lengths can easily be sorted out with stems, seat position, etc, so I would recommend you not use that as your deciding factor.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
It's a real shame but you are in between sizes. I'm in the same boat. And it's not just the top tube length but also the head tube as well. The large MotoLite has a MONSTER 5.5" headtube. That's a bigger headtube than a large SuperMoto! :confused:

Anyway, I just opted for a good deal on a 5 Spot instead. The large 5 Spot has a 23.9" TT, 5" headtube and a climbing friendly 73.5 degree seat tube angle. Otherwise the head tube angle and wheelbase is about the same as the MotoLite with a 5" fork. I'm not sure how I'm going to like the slacker handling anyway so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Homebrew said:
Anyway, I just opted for a good deal on a 5 Spot instead. The large 5 Spot has a 23.9" TT, 5" headtube and a climbing friendly 73.5 degree seat tube angle. Otherwise the head tube angle and wheelbase is about the same as the MotoLite with a 5" fork. I'm not sure how I'm going to like the slacker handling anyway so we'll see how it goes.
It's funny how the 'spot and motolite leapfrog each other size wise. I love my RFX and considered a 'spot for my XC rig, but I'd need to run 2" more seapost on a spot compared to the motolite, to get the same fit out of a medium. The motolite's 19" medium is perfect for long-inseamed toe-pointers like me!

I'm sure you'll love the spot, both titus and turner makes great bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.