Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a million times repairing my buddy's Ellsworth truth on the trail or last minute in the old g-funk international bike shop I decided to commandeer the bike and give it the infamous g-funk tune-o-rama. rebuilt the fork, set up the rider position to a more centered position, tried to run the rear derailleur cable through the seat stay the way it was intended. gave up and ran housing the whole way. dialed the suspension in for me. Then took it for a ride.
This bike rides very nicely. provided you are a smooth pedaler (whish hai ham) and carry momentum. fire road climbs, smooth fast singletrack climbs no problem. technical steep climbs, not so much, pogo city nothing like hitting a rock and pedaling hard to get over it and feeling the first half of your pedal stroke go straight into the rear shock then move the bike forward. No Bueno!!
As far as descending it's another story. heavy braking locks out rear suspension. travel is pretty smooth but using the full stroke is pretty hard, never bottomed and could have used the extra inch a few times.
Now here's the kicker, this bike has to weigh at least 10-12 pounds less than the mkIII, and that makes a huge difference and makes the other issues seem less of issues than quirks. The bike accelerated and maneuvered much quicker. Thank god for the maneuvering part because you wouldn't really want to hit a rock with this bike.

Overall this bike felt like the old man's gucci bike that I remember selling it as in public bike shop sector. it does a great job at smoothing out the smooth trails but when the going gets tough, this bike looks for the sherpa it paid to ride behind it and carry it up the hill.

Now My Idea of the perfect MKIII would be a 1500.00 (I'd take it for 300.00 to but 1500.00 is the realistic price point) frameset with a decent shock that weighs 5ish pounds. easton program tubing or whatever, more clearance in the rear chainstays, cnc'd linkage bits and USA made. Hell have ventana build it, they build everyone's bikes anyway. Oh yeah waterbottle mounts (gripe of the month). This bike would compete against the blur's and ellsworth's and turners and blow them out of the water if it had the same weight due to the superiority of the suspension. I like the budget minded iron horse spec but I think that a gucci version would lend more credibility and probably sell more of the lower end bikes. I don't want a chinese plastic Ibis and can't afford the 25 hunge for the indy fab, but could really handle a 25pound mkIII.

Attachments

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
I don't know of any $1500 USA made top-calibre trail frame/shock combos that fall in the 5lb range.

-r

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
The Truth is a $2K 4" travel XC racing frame isn't it?

I think you are confused about the purpose of the MKIII.

-r

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rpet said:
The Truth is a $2K 4" travel XC racing frame isn't it?

I think you are confused about the purpose of the MKIII.

-r
I'm not confused. I know what the truth is it's 1" less travel in the rear and 2 pounds lighter in the butt. I know what the purpose of the Mk is and I don't see why a reasonably priced, light, high end version would be a bad thing. Look at the plastic Ibis.
dude, if you don't have the 2grand it's ok. keep on keepin' on:thumbsup:

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
Do you think an Azure would provide more of an apples-to-apples comparison?

If the Truth is 10 lbs lighter than the MkIII, how much of that can be coming from the frame? I can't imagine it's more than a few pounds.

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
There's another thread where everyone is saying that their MkIIIs weigh 30+ lbs. How do you propose shaving off 5+ lbs? Wait, I know: $$$

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Appendage said:
There's another thread where everyone is saying that their MkIIIs weigh 30+ lbs. How do you propose shaving off 5+ lbs? Wait, I know: $$$
Through ebay and mailorder, I was able to build my 2005 MKIII Team for less than $1800. It weighs no more than 28 pounds. That's less than what I'm paying for my Ibis Carbon frame. :madman:

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
Strong work, Westin. I'll bet it was fun, too. What fork did you end up with?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
dejacky said:
are you guys professional riders or something. why on earth would pay $1,800 just for that new ibis mojo frame? seems like a waste of money to me..unless your a pro rider.
Has nothing to do with being a professional, fast, slow, rich or poor. It's simply a "need vs want" issue when it comes to any hobby. You said it seems like a waste of money to you. Fine. To others, it is not. I think any bike over $500 is expensive, but I would not call it a waste.

On a somewhat related note, my brother lives in a 11,000 square foot home with a 16-car garage, and he just bought his wife a new mountain bike. It's a Raleigh that retailed for $239. He thought it was expensive. Again, it's a matter of interpretation, needs and wants.

And no, I'm not a pro. If I was I would probably get a bike for free or 20% under dealer. Pros don't think of bikes like I do: extension of my ego, customized recreation, etc. Pros think of bikes as a tool.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Appendage said:
Strong work, Westin. I'll bet it was fun, too. What fork did you end up with?
I went through a Marzocchi All Mountain SL, the Pike Dual Air and the Pike 454 Air U-turn. I kept the 454 Air U-turn.

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, All i'm saying is that a few less pounds can't be a bad thing. my mkIII is great and I love it, heck I rip the shat out of it. It was just very nice to push a bike up the hill that was 5lbs lighter. even with a shitty suspension design. I like beer too much to lose it from my ass! so why not let my pocket book do the training? and hanging a full xtr gruppo off of a 7.5 pound frame seems to be a little bit of over kill.

Compare a 3"Azure to the 4"truth? that's like comparing a 4" truth to a 5"mk and you if you do that you're an idiot that doesn't know what a mk was meant for, which is being an extremely well functioning, albeit overly portly, trail bike that you can't put trail bike tires on and can't take on long rides due to only having 1 water bottle mount!!!:D
what? does this bike and design not deserve to have a top shelf artisan frame set available to those who can afford it or those who believe in it enough to buy it if it wasn't the best spec'd 5" bike for under 2 grand?
My point is this: there is a 2 week wait for a blur lt frame from santa cruz, and that it an antiquated POS. The market is there. Why isn't anyone taking advantage of it? How many nomad's do you see on the shelf? none. A higher price tag creates perceived value. when the product lives up to the perceived value that's a winner. why won't our friends Todd, Todd, Tom, Stu, D-dub and Dante choose to win? I want to win dammit, I want to win:cryin: :cryin:

It's late, I'm amped. I'm going for a night ride on my Mk fack the truth

Yo westin how much does that dual air pike weigh? does it have an aluminum steerer? want to off it? or trade me your uppers for my uppers and 100.00?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
g-funk said:
Wow, All i'm saying is that a few less pounds can't be a bad thing. my mkIII is great and I love it, heck I rip the shat out of it. It was just very nice to push a bike up the hill that was 5lbs lighter. even with a shitty suspension design. I like beer too much to lose it from my ass! so why not let my pocket book do the training? and hanging a full xtr gruppo off of a 7.5 pound frame seems to be a little bit of over kill.

Compare a 3"Azure to the 4"truth? that's like comparing a 4" truth to a 5"mk and you if you do that you're an idiot that doesn't know what a mk was meant for, which is being an extremely well functioning, albeit overly portly, trail bike that you can't put trail bike tires on and can't take on long rides due to only having 1 water bottle mount!!!:D
what? does this bike and design not deserve to have a top shelf artisan frame set available to those who can afford it or those who believe in it enough to buy it if it wasn't the best spec'd 5" bike for under 2 grand?
My point is this: there is a 2 week wait for a blur lt frame from santa cruz, and that it an antiquated POS. The market is there. Why isn't anyone taking advantage of it? How many nomad's do you see on the shelf? none. A higher price tag creates perceived value. when the product lives up to the perceived value that's a winner. why won't our friends Todd, Todd, Tom, Stu, D-dub and Dante choose to win? I want to win dammit, I want to win:cryin: :cryin:

It's late, I'm amped. I'm going for a night ride on my Mk fack the truth

Yo westin how much does that dual air pike weigh? does it have an aluminum steerer? want to off it? or trade me your uppers for my uppers and 100.00?
The dual air pike weighs 4.1, I think, with an aluminum steerer. I sold it, along with the Zoke SL. The u-turn weighs about 1/4 pound more.

I think the MKIII sells on merits other than marketing or hype unlike the Truth or other bikes so price is not an issue for return on investment at this phase in Iron Horse's strategic marketing plan.

·
Registered
420 Posts
g-funk said:
QUOTE]
An Azure has 4" front and 3.5 rear. That's pretty close to a Truth.

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what's the difference between the Azure factory and the expert? If having a lighter frame isn't a big deal why go through the trouble of producing the Azure factory? I doubt it will be raced on the world cup or any major xc races by anyone who stands a chance at winning, and if for some reason they do win it won't be the bike or the suspension. How about an MkIII factory?

Let me clarify a few things.
1) my suggestion of MY ideal MKIII has very little to do with The Truth in particular but lighter bikes in general. personally I thought the truth rode well but was lacking in a few key areas.

2) The argument against higher quality standards, better materials and hand crafstmanship at a premium price, in my opinion, is not valid.

3) Ibis mojo: sub 6 pounds, sub 2k price tag, SOLD OUT substitute metal for carbon and I'm in. we'll see how westin digs his and maybe I'll be a plastic convert, I just had a really, really bad experiences with a few carbon bikes. Handlebars and seatposts I'm all for...... weird

4) Hype, when backed up is not a bad thing. why do bike manufacturers send their bikes to magazines to be tested? Hype. Why do companies sponsor race teams? Hype and r&d but mostly hype. It's hard to get really excited about a bike without hype. Why is everyone here so down on a suggestion that something might be better than what they currently are on? Hype. bullshat is another story.

5) Do we all laugh and wonder why on "pimp my ride" these people spend 5-10 times what their geo is worth on pimpiness. But when someone does it to a Corvette or a SLK they are creating a Supercar. I don't really want to "pimp" my MKIII

Westin, where do you get a copy if IH's STRATEGIC MARKETING PLAN? was it in the owners manual that I failed to read?

Here's my Nostradamus prediction. By the end of 2007 there will be a lightweight aluminum dw-link 5" bike(not counting the 07 mk) will it be made by IH? probably not, do I really care? no. Is the weakest link in the MK right now Iron Horse's size and budget constraints? probably. Do I love my MKIII and my hollowpoint before that? yes. Do I stomp the piss out of all my buddies on their intenzacruzaturnerworths? most of the time. Do I deserve a better quality bike? yes, because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darnit people like me!

here's an example: which car would you rather have

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
g-funk said:
what's the difference between the Azure factory and the expert? If having a lighter frame isn't a big deal why go through the trouble of producing the Azure factory? I doubt it will be raced on the world cup or any major xc races by anyone who stands a chance at winning, and if for some reason they do win it won't be the bike or the suspension. How about an MkIII factory?

Let me clarify a few things.
1) my suggestion of MY ideal MKIII has very little to do with The Truth in particular but lighter bikes in general. personally I thought the truth rode well but was lacking in a few key areas.

2) The argument against higher quality standards, better materials and hand crafstmanship at a premium price, in my opinion, is not valid.

3) Ibis mojo: sub 6 pounds, sub 2k price tag, SOLD OUT substitute metal for carbon and I'm in. we'll see how westin digs his and maybe I'll be a plastic convert, I just had a really, really bad experiences with a few carbon bikes. Handlebars and seatposts I'm all for...... weird

4) Hype, when backed up is not a bad thing. why do bike manufacturers send their bikes to magazines to be tested? Hype. Why do companies sponsor race teams? Hype and r&d but mostly hype. It's hard to get really excited about a bike without hype. Why is everyone here so down on a suggestion that something might be better than what they currently are on? Hype. bullshat is another story.

5) Do we all laugh and wonder why on "pimp my ride" these people spend 5-10 times what their geo is worth on pimpiness. But when someone does it to a Corvette or a SLK they are creating a Supercar. I don't really want to "pimp" my MKIII

Westin, where do you get a copy if IH's STRATEGIC MARKETING PLAN? was it in the owners manual that I failed to read?

Here's my Nostradamus prediction. By the end of 2007 there will be a lightweight aluminum dw-link 5" bike(not counting the 07 mk) will it be made by IH? probably not, do I really care? no. Is the weakest link in the MK right now Iron Horse's size and budget constraints? probably. Do I love my MKIII and my hollowpoint before that? yes. Do I stomp the piss out of all my buddies on their intenzacruzaturnerworths? most of the time. Do I deserve a better quality bike? yes, because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darnit people like me!

here's an example: which car would you rather have
I don't want anyone thinking I've even come within 3000 miles of IH's marketing plan. I was merely pulling a hypothesis out of my butt based on IH's size and presumed budget. Word of mouth, ala these sites, is a free and cost effective form of marketing.

I'm after the Mojo for several reasons: lifelong Ibis owner, I like the company, Scot treats his customers and potential customers as if they're something other than a means to an end, I like the DW Link and I like owning things I won't see 100 times on the trail.

I have purchased 4 highend frames in the past 4 years all sight unseen. The MKIII came off recommendations from Yogreg and DW's posts. If one of them fails, that's life. When you buy a car or motorcycle or highend bike frame you take that risk into the total cost of depreciation. Most of us buy bikes not to make money. If by chance a frame sucks or the quality sucks, that's the risk I'm willing to take in order to take my hobby to the highest level.

Did I mention having an MKIII or Ibis won't make me any faster? But it makes my riding time much more enjoyable.

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel you brother, being a lifelong sonoma county resident I've owned a few ibis bikes as well as and seen many, many more throughout their many phases of operations. I really want to want that frame, for most of the same reasons you do but will give it some time to age before I order one up. I'd like to see an established track record and allow them to fix their "bad heim joint" like issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts