Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing some opinions on the differences between a Giant AC and a MkIII... I currently have the AC and while I love the bike, it sometimes feels like using a sledgehammer when all I needed was a mallet, if you get my meaning. Plus I've had it for 5 years and I'm starting to get the itch.

My riding is probably on the very mild side of all mountain. Mostly rough XC singletrack with trips to Moab and Fruita mixed in.

·
Registered
578 Posts
vegen said:
I'm interested in hearing some opinions on the differences between a Giant AC and a MkIII... I currently have the AC and while I love the bike, it sometimes feels like using a sledgehammer when all I needed was a mallet, if you get my meaning. Plus I've had it for 5 years and I'm starting to get the itch.

My riding is probably on the very mild side of all mountain. Mostly rough XC singletrack with trips to Moab and Fruita mixed in.
after you ride the mk, you WILL take a hammer to yout ac

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
The MkIII is a very solid bike that has few weak spots. When properly set-up and built, the ride is very balanced and well controlled in all sitiuations. I rode my (slightly modified)expert all season and continue to be impressed with this rig.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I owned an AC and went to a Mk111 in august.I switched over most of the components as my AC was upspec on the Mk111 comp i bought.

The biggest differences are:
- pedalling, the mk111 pedals extremely well in any terrain, the Ac used to biopace and bob a fair bit especially over rougher terrain.

The tracking and handling is quicker and more responsive on the mk111, it feels a little more stable, due to a lower bottom bracket?lower center of gravity.

riding a down hill course they're fairly well matched untill it gets big, the AC has the extra travel and probably better frameset to cope with bigger dropoff's, but since your talking all mountain it won't really apply.If a fair bit of downhill is your secret desire the Ac is the choice.... until you try a sunday.

the weight's are similar with the Mk111 a little lighter (2 pounds for me)

climbing is much easier on the MK111, the suspension works really well to hold traction and absorb bumps at the same time, the front end doesn't wander around as much as the AC on the steep stuff.

the suspension on the MK111 is purely superb, responsive , plush, an eye opener to see how well it works. The Ac does the job, funilly enough not as plush, no comparison really.

The Ac was a great bike and served me very well over the years and it will eventually be built up more as downhill only bike,but it won't see the light of day as a trailbike again while i have a MK111.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks! That's exactly the kind of comparison I was looking for. I don't really do downhill riding (well, if the trail goes downhill, then so do I) so it sounds pretty much perfect for me. Now I just need to get a test ride.

How did you find the sizing to compare?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.