Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in my quest to find a coil option for my MK, I recently purchased a Fox DHX-coil. Also I will be trying out a Pre-propedal Fox Vanilla RC. Very excited about these two shocks. The testing will begin in a few days.

The AVA should be coming back from PUSH in less than a week.

info for anyone interested will be forthcoming.

Greg

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
yogreg said:
So in my quest to find a coil option for my MK, I recently purchased a Fox DHX-coil. Testing will begin in a few days. I also will be trying out a Pre-propedal Fox Vanill RC. Very excited about these two shocks.

info for anyone interested will be forthcoming.

Greg
I, for one, will be waiting for the results!

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
You probably will forget about all the platform and lockout options in the Rocco's TST compression settings after trying them and just leave it in the DH (wide-open) compression damper setting.

But the next firmer or two compression damper settings might help sometimes while doing some steeper or longer smooth climbs by the effect of extending the suspension a little to help keep your seated weight more easily over the pedals.

It may take a couple springs tries to get the best feel. Go as light in spring weight as you can. Up to 5mm of preload is allowed without risk of overload according to the Marzocchi manual for the Rocco. That’s up to about 4 turns. Occasional mild bottoming is fine. Use the compression damping if you find a section of trail or jumps that bottoms more than normal.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vanilla RC is on the MKIII

After one quick night ride the RC felt real good. The small bump sensitivity was amazing. The DW-Link kept everything feeling well in control. The rear end feels buttery with the coil shock and zero compression dampening (propedal)

More to come
Greg

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update to the shock works post

So I have been running the Vanilla RC coil over shock on my MKIII for a couple of weeks now and it's a keeper for sure. The funny thing is that the old school RC really outshined the new school Fox DHX. At least in my findings and on the DW-Link suspension.

Anyone looking for a coil option for their MK's should seriously consider this shock or a straight Vanilla R coil. The key is getting the shock minus the propedal!

I just got my AVA shock back from PUSH and it is very much improved from stock form. I fully expected this to be the case, as those guys are mad scientists. The main improvements on the AVA are in the end stroke and rebound feel. Gone is the sudden ramp up in the end travel. The end is now a gradual ramp up that I can hardly feel at all. Almost a bottom-less feel as you never really can tell when the bottom is reached. The rebound feels very controlled and more functional than before. And the stroke is oh so butter smooth.

The next step is to get the Vanilla RC Push'd.

Greg

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
baycat said:
Greg

where did you pick up those vanilla coils?
I assume you mean the shocks themselves.
The RC that I am using is a friends (hopefully soon to be mine) but you can find others on the cheap in classifieds or ebay or maybe even direct from Fox.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
yogreg said:
So I have been running the Vanilla RC coil over shock on my MKIII for a couple of weeks now and it's a keeper for sure. The funny thing is that the old school RC really outshined the new school Fox DHX. At least in my findings and on the DW-Link suspension.

Anyone looking for a coil option for their MK's should seriously consider this shock or a straight Vanilla R coil. The key is getting the shock minus the propedal!

I just got my AVA shock back from PUSH and it is very much improved from stock form. I fully expected this to be the case, as those guys are mad scientists. The main improvements on the AVA are in the end stroke and rebound feel. Gone is the sudden ramp up in the end travel. The end is now a gradual ramp up that I can hardly feel at all. Almost a bottom-less feel as you never really can tell when the bottom is reached. The rebound feels very controlled and more functional than before. And the stroke is oh so butter smooth.

The next step is to get the Vanilla RC Push'd.

Greg
How's the small bump feel of the Pushed AVA vs. the liquid small bump feel of the stock early RC?

Looking forward to hearing how the Pushed early RC is better. (Pushing a DHX Coil coil should produce the same effects, Push removes some of the adjustment from the DHX)

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
derby said:
How's the small bump feel of the Pushed AVA vs. the liquid small bump feel of the stock early RC?

Looking forward to hearing how the Pushed early RC is better. (Pushing a DHX Coil coil should produce the same effects, Push removes some of the adjustment from the DHX)
Am I the only one that likes flipping on the propedal for climbing? I think that it really firms up the pedaling and also allows me to ride higher/more forward for a more balanced position. I do think that a cheapo vanilla coil would be nice for d-ville bomb runs!

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
derby said:

The small bump feel of the Push'd AVA is very close to that of the RC. The RC is total butter though.

Attachments

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
g-funk said:
Am I the only one that likes flipping on the propedal for climbing? I think that it really firms up the pedaling and also allows me to ride higher/more forward for a more balanced position. I do think that a cheapo vanilla coil would be nice for d-ville bomb runs!
I'm riding a cheepo early Vanilla-R without propedal on my Mojo and it performs better than the DHX Air or RP with no down side tradeoffs at all. But it doesn't have the flip on propedal for raising the rear while doing steep or long climbs which I do like about the RP23.

That's why I'm so interested in the Roco TST R ultimately for the Mojo's dw-Link. It has a switch to change to propedal-like damping, plus it's coil for the best smooth and sharp hit melted-buttery feel, and it's totally owner rebuildable. Too bad the TST piggy-back doesn't clear the MKiii frame.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
g-funk said:
Am I the only one that likes flipping on the propedal for climbing? I think that it really firms up the pedaling and also allows me to ride higher/more forward for a more balanced position.
Not for mountain trail climbing the trade off is not worth the traction loss. But I think you might be talking about fire road type climbing and I would think it would work well there.

It definitely firms up the pedaling, getting more snap in the flats but it's so plush in the open position I probably wouldn't use the propedal unless someone was trying to overtake me. Then hit the turbo and leave em squealin from the feelin.

·
Registered
679 Posts
derby said:
I'm riding a cheepo early Vanilla-R without propedal on my Mojo and it performs better than the DHX Air or RP with no down side tradeoffs at all. But it doesn't have the flip on propedal for raising the rear while doing steep or long climbs which I do like about the RP23.

That's why I'm so interested in the Roco TST R ultimately for the Mojo's dw-Link. It has a switch to change to propedal-like damping, plus it's coil for the best smooth and sharp hit melted-buttery feel, and it's totally owner rebuildable. Too bad the TST piggy-back doesn't clear the MKiii frame.
so you did not like the dhx air on the mkIII? could you comment more on that? same for the rp

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.