Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a few problems with my MkIII. Too often when the rear wheel hits a hole or dip and I'm not pedaling hard, it'll drop the chain from the middle ring to the small ring or right on to the BB. I removed a link from the chain but that didn't seem to help. I don't want to take another link out for fear it'll be too short.

Another issue that I seem to have solved: initially, whenever I shifted from the big ring to the middle ring, the chain would skip the middle ring and drop all the way to the little ring. Yes, the cable tension was correct. I noticed that the derailleur plates weren't perfectly parallel to the chain rings, so I fixed that. After that, I noticed that the bike wouldn't shift into the little ring because the derailleur was contacting the suspension pivot. So I filed the derailleur and that fixed it and now the bike shifts correctly going from a big ring to a smaller ring...but....

...a problem that didn't get solved is that I have to "double clutch"- push the shifter to the stop (xt triggers) and then push it again about halfway- to shift from the small ring to the middle ring. Yes, the cable tension is correct and all that.

Actually, I can live with the double-clutching, but the dropping the chain is a real pain.

Your thoughts, please...

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
I had two of your issues.
First was the front der. contact problem. I solved that issue by a meticulous set-up, followed by the dremel. Issue solved.

Second issue was the chain dropping off the middle ring. This didn't become a problem for me untill I went with a 2 ring set-up. After much dialing in and various tweaks the problem was still there. I installed a new middle ring and have yet to have the issue. For me that was the solution. Maybe yhou have a bent tooth and it kicks the chain off. With the outboard bearing BB it does throw the chainline off just a touch, so try and make sure that you get your set-up just right.

The double clutch thing would drive me insane. Are you sure that the cable is spot on, that sounds like alot of cable moving to get the chain to shift.

Good luck
Greg

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yogreg- so getting rid of the FSA chainring fixed the chain drop problem? What did you replace it with?

Klunk- I'm not sure what you mean by "front mech"- I'm running an XT front derailleur and the stock FSA cranks/rings.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Appendage said:
Yogreg- so getting rid of the FSA chainring fixed the chain drop problem? What did you replace it with?

Klunk- I'm not sure what you mean by "front mech"- I'm running an XT front derailleur and the stock FSA cranks/rings.
Replacing the chainrings was the ticket for me. I switched both to Raceface rings. No issues at all. Just got back from a muddy ride and the drivetrain worked spot on.

Greg

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be darned

yogreg said:
Replacing the chainrings was the ticket for me. I switched both to Raceface rings. No issues at all. Just got back from a muddy ride and the drivetrain worked spot on.

Greg
Go figure. Well, I'll do that as a last resort, if I can't tweak the problem out of the system. Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll borrow the Blackspire ring off my other bike and see if that helps.

Damn bikes. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
klunky said:
front mech = derailluer.

Im sure I read a post from DW saying that the only thing that works is a sram X-gen.
Because of clearance issues, or shifting issues, or both, I wonder. I'll have to go looking for his post..

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
andy f said:
Clearance, Clarence.

Over.
Okay, well, that helps. I've solved the clearance issue by taking a file to the derailleur. Now if I could just get the thing to shift well. If I put enough slack in the cable so I can downshift into the granny ring, it won't make the upshift into the middle ring. And if I tighten the cable enough to grab the middle ring, it won't drop reliably onto the granny ring.

I just got back from a ride and in spite of my tweaking the front derailleur position, I'm still dropping the chain when I hit a big bump. In fact, I even dropped the chain when I struck a rock with my drive-side pedal. It seems as though the chain is just waiting to jump off that middle ring the first chance it gets. Upsetting, inasmuch as it has nearly cost me my gonads on more than one occasion.

I think I'll try a different brand of chainring and see if that helps.

In spite of all that, every time I ride the bike, I'm more impressed with it- at least the parts that work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.