Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

With all the threads about rear shock i'm still confused on what to choose for my 05 mkiii..

for thoses of you that have exeprimented with rear shocks,(broncbuster derby e.t.c.) what are the best choices in your opinion and why?

thanks

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
In my opinion the best shocks air or coil for the MKIII are models without excessive compression damping (pro-pedal, spv, or whatever it is being called) The reason being is the DW-Link design is not reliant on this kind of shock to function properly. Unlike many of the designs out there currently that do require a platform effect. The MKIII actually runs like crap with many of the new technology shocks. IMHO.

I have used all of the stock shocks spec'd for the MKIII by Iron Horse. And have a good feel for the set-ups on each shock. I am happy to see that IH went with straight fox shocks through the line for 07. It would be cool if IH offered a DW-Link valved Fox shock for purchase for older model MKIII's.

On my MKIII I am currently using a Fox Vanilla RC (no propedal) This set-up is incredible. Very active to small bumps. But still does not bob like crazy when you pedal. Very controlled in the middle stroke and bottomless in the end. For an air option I have a Push'd Fox AVA. This is valved fopr the DW-Link with zero platform as well. Very similar feel to the coil. Just not as butter. But still very good.

Have used the following shocks in addition to the ones mentioned.
Romic coil
Fox DHX coil
Fox DHX air
nether worked 100 percent on the MKIII

Greg

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Hey,
I have a CaneCreek Cloud 9 on my wifes 05 MKIII.
I don't think it has a platform. Just a rapid compression switch which provides a stiffer shock for climbing. I am getting her a 07 MKIII expert. Should I put the cloud 9 on the 07 or keep the Fox Float R. Keep in mind that the cloud 9 also has a compression dial.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
tartosuc said:
Hi,

With all the threads about rear shock i'm still confused on what to choose for my 05 mkiii..

for thoses of you that have exeprimented with rear shocks,(broncbuster derby e.t.c.) what are the best choices in your opinion and why?

thanks
You should factor in the terrain and what type riding you are doing.
Also the RP23 may not be the best choice for larger riders. I weight a buck-eighty.

I ride all mountain mostly w/some XC. Having only the Fifth to compare it to.
The RP23 is much much meaner. More in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=251138

All aftermarket Float shocks including the RP23 have medium valving. This will not affect the ProPedal when in the "off" position. Meaning the RP23 in the off position is already in the lowest setting possible by fox.

You could try calling Fox to see if you can order a Float R set to minimum or IH may be able to hook you up. No huge advantage going with the RP23 over the Float R set to minimum, if you can get one. I do use the Propedal first setting occasionally though.

If that fails Fox advised the RP23 is basically the same in the open position as the '07 OE Float for IH set to minimum.

Greg and Derby have way more experience than I do with other shocks. In part factor our weights and ride specifics if similar to yours.

Attachments

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I agree with Yogreg. I'm using an older model pre-04 Vanilla R (no propedal) on my dw-Link. I'm pretty sure the R model is set to the same compression as minimum on the RC.

I've tried the DHX 5 Air and it was noticeably smoother than the RP23, but not as buttery as the older model Vanilla-R.

A Pushed Float AVA with minimized compression damping would be the best air option for dw-Link, but a used (or new) DHX 5 Air is next best for air. I've heard good reports about the Cane Creek air shocks on the dw-Link, but I have no experience with them to compare it with the Fox air shocks.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
I am so tempted to try a cloud nine with the adjustable volume.

I think another big advantage in tuning your DW bike is the ability to adjust the volume of the shock. The AVA feature is so nice on the fox air shocks.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
yogreg said:
I am so tempted to try a cloud nine with the adjustable volume.

I think another big advantage in tuning your DW bike is the ability to adjust the volume of the shock. The AVA feature is so nice on the fox air shocks.
I could be wrong but I don't think the C9 has a volume adjustment.

Rumor has it Fox may make the AVA sleeve available for new Float shocks.
They show one on their web site, I'm sold if they do..

EDIT: No truth to the rumor apparantly..

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
broncbuster said:
I could be wrong but I don't think the C9 has a volume adjustment.

Rumor has it Fox may make the AVA sleeve available for new Float shocks.
They show one on their web site, I'm sold if they do..
maybe it is the AD series shocks that have the internal volume adjust.
I still want to ty a Cane creek shock.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
SO if I understand correctly. the air volume adjusts the progressivity of the air spring?

Sort of like the way more turns on spring preload changes the way the shock spring progresses.
I don't think I can change volume on the cloud 9 but I do have a dedicated compression knob to change compression damping. But if I comprehend, the reason for a smaller volume chamber is to have the shock plush in the majority of the travel but still be able to suck up the biggest hits. Am I right?

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
wormvine said:
SO if I understand correctly. the air volume adjusts the progressivity of the air spring?

Sort of like the way more turns on spring preload changes the way the shock spring progresses.
I don't think I can change volume on the cloud 9 but I do have a dedicated compression knob to change compression damping. But if I comprehend, the reason for a smaller volume chamber is to have the shock plush in the majority of the travel but still be able to suck up the biggest hits. Am I right?
you got the just of it.
The bigger the volume the more linear the shock behaves/ the smaller the volume the more progressive.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any of you guys ever tried a manitou shock?

if I were to get a dhx shock would a dhx coil work better than a dhx air?

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
tartosuc said:
Any of you guys ever tried a manitou shock?

if I were to get a dhx shock would a dhx coil work better than a dhx air?[/QUOTE

It really is a personal choice, both can be tuned to feel pretty much the same. I liked the feel of the DHX coil slightly better. Having said that, Both felt too harsh in my trials due to the pro-pedal feature being to high for the Dw-Link. A revalve would be the answer. But comes at an added expense.

Keep this in mind as well. I had an 05-06 DHX coil shock and the boost valve air valve came very close to contacting my down tube on bottom out. So much so that it made me nervous of using the shock. The 07 DHX models have the valve a bit more tucked away for clearence.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.