Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff Elmore posted a review on the MkIII roasting the bike for severe rear triangle flex.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride_Full_Suspension/product_125298.shtml

I haven't noticed anything like that. My bike also passes the "lock the brake, stomp on the pedal and watch the rear wheel move" test that he describes. Maybe I'm just too weak to get it to flex. Any other MkIII owners care to weigh in on this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Lemon?

Appendage said:
Jeff Elmore posted a review on the MkIII roasting the bike for severe rear triangle flex.

I haven't noticed anything like that. My bike also passes the "lock the brake, stomp on the pedal and watch the rear wheel move" test that he describes. Maybe I'm just too weak to get it to flex. Any other MkIII owners care to weigh in on this?
I did have a problem with the linkage for my MK III which was replaced by my LBS at around 1 month. It was a little loose before they fixed it, but since then no worries. I have no issues with flex and I'm around 210, IMO the bike is just as stiff as my previous bike (Turner Burner). I think Jeff may have just gotten a lemon.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Appendage said:

Jeff is 100 percent intitled to his opinion in regards to his frame. He may have a defective frame,or other component, it does happen. But, in his review he is generalizing a ton. Saying all MK frames are defective and poorly designed. That is just not the case.
I am from a shop that is an IH dealer and we have sold a ton of MKIII's without any such complaints or problems. However the play issue was there in some early runs with respect to the 5th shock hardware, but ours have all been fixed. Nobody I know riding a MKIII in my neck of the woods has experienced any such negativity regarding the rear triangle. In fact the opposite feedback is the norm. Our shop is always on rides with tons of customers as well as other local riding groups, so we are out there. I also ride a MKIII as do two other employes of the shop, and we all agree the MK is amazing and very well built. Sure there are some bugs, but all can be worked out with careful set-up and patience. May I add that the shop is also a dealer for some other very well respected bike builders. So there are choices.
In my opinion IH as a company is very receptive to customers feedback good or bad and are on this board answering questions on a regular basis. Dave Weagle himself is always on here fielding questions and offering support as well. That says alot.

Greg

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
yogreg said:
I am from a shop that is an IH dealer...
The product department is VERY jealous of the bottle of Abelour sent to the sales dept. As dw knows, I am a fan of Scotch whisky. The next time we meet up we're going to have to sit down and have a tasting of some fine Scotches :) If we ride Rocky Point we can hit up some of the selection I have ;)

-ska todd

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
ska todd said:
The product department is VERY jealous of the bottle of Abelour sent to the sales dept. As dw knows, I am a fan of Scotch whisky. The next time we meet up we're going to have to sit down and have a tasting of some fine Scotches :) If we ride Rocky Point we can hit up some of the selection I have ;)

-ska todd
word!

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
Not

Well, I can't attest to the hard climbing flex - BUT! The put-it-in-granny lock the brake and mash a pedal hard as you can test is just a normal part of evaluation for me. My Schwinn Rocket88 taught me by having enough climbing flex to rub the rear disc (weep, weep). The rear triangle would flex sideways almost 1/2" under static load, but no tire rub - just the disc thing.

I just recently had the opportunity to check out the HP MKIII and 7.7, and tho there is a small (itty bitty teeny tiny) noticeable bit of flex it is similar to my RM ETSX - which exhibits no flex related problems under some seriously steep climbing conditions.

I would guess that there is a flaw of some sort on the rear triangle being dissed. I would say its princess/pea except he claims tire rub under load - which would be major movement.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ska todd said:

-ska todd
No Whisky for the Scots? Still I guess we are spoiled with our fine selection of whiskEys :D

That said I am drinking Japanese whisky today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ska todd said:
Kumpai!

-ska todd
nope......http://www.suntory.com/yamazaki/main.html

Getting back on topic I ride a MKIII and dont notice any flex what so ever. I have also sold and serviced loads of them which have had ZERO problems.

Perhpas the guy who was having issues had loose bolts or perhaps his spoke tension is way wrong.

Either way there is no way there is a design flaw with the MKIII. Dont believe me? go ride one :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
ska todd said:
Suntory...cool...by "kumpai" I meant the Japanese version of saying "cheers".

-ska todd
Showing my ignorence there but when you have access to as many whiskeys as I do you dont often try stuff from other countries though I hear the canooks make some nice ones. :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a similar problem when i first got the bike, i could grab the seat post and the rear wheel and move them in opposite directions = lots of flex from the rear triangle.Mine felt like the rear wheel tracking at fast speed over bumpy terrain was like riding in sand, a bit washy and unpredictable.
A quick email to ska todd revealled some things to look at. Mine turned out to be loose hardware and bearings not properly seated on the rocker. Seated and torqued up no more problems. No more washy feeling.
If i repeat the test these days the tyre and rear wheel flexes heaps before the triangle starts to move, triangle flex is in the order of 1-2mm, which considering the unatural amount of effort i put into the test is acceptable to me. I've tried this on heaps of bikes of different brands to make sure i'm not kidding myself and acheived similar movements from their rear triangles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Still a little vertical play with my MK III

ska todd-

I still have a small amount of vertical play with my MK III Expert. If you pick up the seat you can feel a tiny amount (1-2mm?) of movement. I bought the bike at SuperGo and they told me that this was normal. There doesn't seem to be any lateral play and besides that the bike feels great. Should I be concerned with the vertical play? Is there another bushing kit that I can get to eliminate this? Thanks!

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
flexy flier
I've ridden the poop out of my MK3 and I have noticed no flex. after going pound for pound with my wife during pregnancy I'm weighing in at 250 lbs. I rail turns and land drops like a moron and no flex. this guy must have something seriously wrong. either with his bike or with his head!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Appendage said:

Mine did the same thing. That's why I dumped it for a huge lo$$.

Here's the test. Tape some cardboard to the inside of your non-drive side chainstay, next to the tire, leaving a small space between the tire and the cardboard.

Stand up and pedal up a hill in the granny & mid to high gears. Hear that grinding noise against the cardboard?

The bike was new, the bearings were tight, and everything was seated as it should be. Did it with other new wheels as well.

Maybe mine was a lemon too. :rolleyes:

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
How "small" a space?

edge said:
Mine did the same thing. That's why I dumped it for a huge lo$$.

Here's the test. Tape some cardboard to the inside of your non-drive side chainstay, next to the tire, leaving a small space between the tire and the cardboard.

Stand up and pedal up a hill in the granny & mid to high gears. Hear that grinding noise against the cardboard?

The bike was new, the bearings were tight, and everything was seated as it should be. Did it with other new wheels as well.

Maybe mine was a lemon too. :rolleyes:
How "small" a space between the cardboard and the tire? How much flex is significant from a practical standpoint? One mm? 2mm? I don't do much standing pedaling on my MkIII. In my opinion, this bike is not a good stand-up grinder because it bobs. I especially don't stand when I'm in granny up front and a high gear in back. In other words, maybe you've uncovered a "flaw" in the bike that is manifest only when the bike is subject to stresses that most riders don't create.

I wonder how common or uncommon this degree of flex is among similar bikes from different manufacturers when subject to similar stresses.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Appendage said:
How "small" a space between the cardboard and the tire? How much flex is significant from a practical standpoint? One mm? 2mm? I don't do much standing pedaling on my MkIII. In my opinion, this bike is not a good stand-up grinder because it bobs. I especially don't stand when I'm in granny up front and a high gear in back. In other words, maybe you've uncovered a "flaw" in the bike that is manifest only when the bike is subject to stresses that most riders don't create.

I wonder how common or uncommon this degree of flex is among similar bikes from different manufacturers when subject to similar stresses.
Well mine grinded a notch in the chainstay mashing in the MID to high gears, so I'd think the thickness of a six pack box would do.

The MKIII bobs?? Not that I recall. I thought it was fast as hell. See my review:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=119797

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.