Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
edit: don't know why my post is posting first

(pics before I lowered post & adjusted stuff)

07 MkIII 21" frame
Fox Float R
Revelation 427 Dual Air
FSA Orbit Z Carbon
UCI stripe alloy machined spacers (prolly the coolest part on my bike :) )
X.0 RD & Trigger
X.9 FD
Race Face Deus XC
Crank Bros Candy Ti
Juicy Carbon
DT/Swiss XR1540
PC971
PG990 11/34T
WTB Raijin protos w/ lightweight tubes
Thomson Elite stem & post
Easton EA70 low rise
WTB Silverado w/ ti rails
ODI Ruffian MX lockons

-ska todd

·
GreeneDog
271 Posts
I know I am new here but I think we can all agree that Photos are cool of the bike we ride. So following the lead of two great threads. The 6 Point photos and 7 Point photos threads were great to look through before I bought my MKIII. I was very close to buying the 7 point 3 from randelscott. I decided to go with an all around bike and see if I was going to stick with the DW-Link before buying a Point bike. For almost 15 years I owned a bike that no one else had. I never got to see what other people did to that bike. Now I am pumped to all the different ideas people have with the same bike I now have.
So dig deep and post up photos of your MKIII. Spec them out and throw in the wieght of ride. Deep down I have a little weight weeny in me. I wonder how light this bike could be.

Specifications

Fork: MANITOU BLACK COMP, 130MM
Rear Shock: MANITOU RADIUM R AIR
Front Derailleur: SRAM X.GEN
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE
Shifters: SHIMANO DEORE RAPIDFIRE
Brakes Levers: SHIMANO DEORE
Brakes: SHIMANO DEORE HYDROLIC W/ 6" ROTOR
Chain: SHIMANO HG-73
Crankset: TURVATIV BLAZE 44/32/22
Cassette: SRAM PG-950 11/34T
Pedals: SHIMANO SPD
Bottom Bracket: TRUVATIV POWERSPLINE
Headset: FSA ORBOT Z, ZERO STACK
Saddle: WTB ROCKET V COMP
Seat Post: TRUVATIV XR
Handlebar: TRUVATIV XR RISER, 31.8MM
Grips: ODI OURY
Stem: TRUVATIV XR, 31.8MM
Tires: WTB WEIRWOLF 2.35 W/ DNA CASING
Wheelset: DISC HUBS, WTB SPEED DISC RIMS
Color: MOSS GREEN
Weight: 32.25lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts

07 MKIII with Fox Float R
RS Pike 454 dual air
DT 440/Mavic XM819 with Schwalbe Nobby Nics
Full 07 X9 drivetrain
XT cranks
XT brakes
Thomson X4 Stem
Bontrager King Earl bars
FSA post
Bontrager King Earl flats/Time Atac Z Freeride
Fizik Nisene

Not sure of weight as scales are broken, I am estimating around the 30lb mark.

·
Registered
70 Posts
airtym, I was wondering what other FS bikes you were considering in purchasing. Similar to your situation, i've had the same one and only ever mountain bike for 10 years and it's never let me down and have been totally pleased with it. (It's an F1000 killer V Cdale). I've been wanting to get an FS bike for the past year now and the ones that have kept me up at night are the Chumba Evo (which I ultimately want) and the '06 MK III Expert. I just ordered the MK III from RS this afternoon for an awesome price and will post as soon as I get it. Thanks for starting this thread!

·
GreeneDog
271 Posts
tkbiker said:
airtym, I was wondering what other FS bikes you were considering in purchasing. Similar to your situation, i've had the same one and only ever mountain bike for 10 years and it's never let me down and have been totally pleased with it. (It's an F1000 killer V Cdale). I've been wanting to get an FS bike for the past year now and the ones that have kept me up at night are the Chumba Evo (which I ultimately want) and the '06 MK III Expert. I just ordered the MK III from RS this afternoon for an awesome price and will post as soon as I get it. Thanks for starting this thread!
This was a long process as you can imagen. Price was the biggest factor. I had to stay as close to $1100 as I could. So I decided to look the frame more then components when I was trying to make a decision. Here was my list of bikes...

05 Jamis XLT 1.0
07 Ibex Atlas Sport
07 Ibex Asta Comp/Race
06 Iron Horse 7 piont 3

I went with the MKIII because the frame and shock are the same from the sport to the Team. That says alot to me about the bike. I have no regrets about my choice. It climbs the way I hoped. The feel of the bike is lively on the trail I always feel in touch with the trail. As far as the choice of buying the Sport, I can swap out components with time and as needed. But bottom line the bike works and works the way you want a bike to ride.

Nothing wrong with an EVO....

·
GreeneDog
271 Posts
tkbiker said:
Do you have a picture of your old bike? send me one please. I remember the bike name but I cant picture it.I'll tell you another issue I had when I came to buying a new bike. The amount of maintenance involved in modern bikes. My old Wojcik with a Lawwill Leader fork and Suntour XC Pro group on it never broke down. Cables and tubes. Thats it. Those days are gone if we choose to ride a FS bike. Might be why we see such a rise in the interest of single speeds and hardtails right now.

·
Registered
974 Posts
My 2006 MKIII Sport, and believe it or not this is after I did a 3/4 clean on it! It was a dirty wet weekend!

My poor bike has to live on it's rack for the rest of the week! Dang tests!

Upgraded
-pedals to some Azonic A-frames
-e.13 white bashguard (not sure I like white but who cares, it works!)
-manitou minute :03 fork upgrade (after my black exploded and the manitou customer service hooked me up)

1 - 20 of 488 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.