Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am looking to pick up a new ride for the season. I am comming off a hardtail, so this will be my first full-suspension trailbike. I mainly ride rocky east coast singletrack, with lots of short technical climbs and descents. I don't go looking for drops, but I prefer not to shy away from smaller (2'-3') ones if they are on the trail. As well, I will often be commuting to the trailhead via road (a 10 mile or so ride).

I have secured a good deal through my work on two different bikes: the MKIII Comp or the Warrior DS Pro. I can get the Warrior DS for around $1000 CAD cheaper than the MKIII. That extra $1000 could go a long way towards a new seatpost, rear shock, and possibly wheelset or front fork for the Warrior DS. As well, I will be adding a lexan bashguard and my 2003 Shimano XT hydro brakes to either bike.

So, which is a better option? Splurge now on the MKIII and get better components and pedalling efficiency, or save $1000 and dump it into some bling bling upgrades for the DS?

Thanks,

A.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Sport_Chek said:
Hi there,

I am looking to pick up a new ride for the season. I am comming off a hardtail, so this will be my first full-suspension trailbike. I mainly ride rocky east coast singletrack, with lots of short technical climbs and descents. I don't go looking for drops, but I prefer not to shy away from smaller (2'-3') ones if they are on the trail. As well, I will often be commuting to the trailhead via road (a 10 mile or so ride).

I have secured a good deal through my work on two different bikes: the MKIII Comp or the Warrior DS Pro. I can get the Warrior DS for around $1000 CAD cheaper than the MKIII. That extra $1000 could go a long way towards a new seatpost, rear shock, and possibly wheelset or front fork for the Warrior DS. As well, I will be adding a lexan bashguard and my 2003 Shimano XT hydro brakes to either bike.

So, which is a better option? Splurge now on the MKIII and get better components and pedalling efficiency, or save $1000 and dump it into some bling bling upgrades for the DS?

Thanks,

A.
i'd go with the MKIII, how much are they offerinng that for?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I can't knock the Heckler, er, Warrior, for its time-tested design and single pivot reliability and stiffness, but you gotta go for the MkIII. I mean, com'on, really, like -- uhm, for real.

For the riding your describe, the MkIII design is gonna do just fine. You're not going to tax the frame build, you've got more than enough suspension for getting down the hill and a properly thought-out suspension for going up the hill, and something smooth and relatively efficient for pedaling on the pavement.

Given your position, it'd be unconscionable not to buy the MkIII.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
b12yan88 said:
i'd go with the MKIII, how much are they offerinng that for?
I'd rather not post up the price I am getting, as it is on a staff deal. If you'd really like to know, shoot me a PM :D

Speedub.Nate said:
Given your position, it'd be unconscionable not to buy the MkIII.
Thanks Nate, I was leaning towards the MKIII as well, but saving $1000 never sounds like a bad idea. I suppose that extra $1000 will pay for itself in terms of a more durable, better performing bike.

Does anyone else have an opinion? As of right now I'm going to pinch all my pennies and go for the MKIII, but I'm going to give myself another day or two to sleep on it.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Sport_Chek said:
Does anyone else have an opinion? As of right now I'm going to pinch all my pennies and go for the MKIII, but I'm going to give myself another day or two to sleep on it.
I agree with the others: Go with the MkIII. I haven't ridden one myself, but I've been riding a 2004 Hollowpoint (MkII) for well over 6 months now and I'm still blown away by how well it pedals in comparison to my Specialized Enduro. When I first got on the Hollowpoint, there were times when I thought the suspension wasn't working right because the pedaling platform was so firm. But, when you glance down when going over some bumps, you'll see that the suspension is actually very active. In contrast, on the Enduro, unless you pedal with nice round strokes, there can be significant bob.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
The MKIII seems the best choice. But....

You need to evaluate you situation and riding.

Some say buy low and upgrade what you want, smarter peeps say you get more goodies for the $$$ if you buy it all in one bike.

I recently realized that, for me, tinkering and upgrading is half the fun of mountain biking. Engineering ones own ride, so to speak.

So maybe if you just want to ride, buy as much bike as you can afford. But if you have upgraditis, then maybe you buy something that leaves you with a budget for upgrades.

I just wanted to post another angle to look at.

Mr. P

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Any suspension bike will feel great

Sport_Chek said:
Hi there,

Thanks,

A.
The DW-Links are the best designs ever for suspension bicycles.

The problem with coming off a hardtail and going straight to the best is you may not appreciate the difference of the dw design from really good earlier designs from the '80's and '90's.

The Warrior is a very good '80's design, and coming form a hardtail you'd be amazed at how well it rides.

Maybe go for a Warrior now and a year or two later get the MKiii frame only and swap out your upgrades.

- ray

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Mr.P said:
I recently realized that, for me, tinkering and upgrading is half the fun of mountain biking. Engineering ones own ride, so to speak.
I quite agree with this sentiment.

However, it's not possible - well, certainly not practical - to upgrade a bike from one suspension design to another without switching frames. In this case, it means not being able to upgrade a single pivot design to a DW-link unless you purchase a new frame. So Sport_Chek needs to decide what type of suspension design he wants in the frame of his next bike and purchase accordingly.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
KevinB said:
I quite agree with this sentiment.

However, it's not possible - well, certainly not practical - to upgrade a bike from one suspension design to another without switching frames. In this case, it means not being able to upgrade a single pivot design to a DW-link unless you purchase a new frame. So Sport_Chek needs to decide what type of suspension design he wants in the frame of his next bike and purchase accordingly.
Great point. Me likey the DW link and bought specifically for it.

Mr. P

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sport_Chek said:
..I was leaning towards the MKIII as well, but saving $1000 never sounds like a bad idea...
You'll only save that $1000 if you put it away wisely.

If you get the Warrior and then spend that $1000 leftover on bling-bling upgrades, then you won't be saving a thousand in the end.

I'd save up and get the MKIII or buy the Warrior and just ride it as is and keep the one grandie in my pocket.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,

After careful consideration, I've decided to "splurge" and buy the MK3 Comp. I feel I will definately appreciate the improved frame design, and hopefully the upgradeitis will hold off for at least a season.

I'll post pics up when the bike arrives.

Cheers,

Aaron

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hiya,

I actually ended up going with a 2004 Hollowpoint Expert, since I got a SMOKING deal. I actually got this bike for $999 CAD after my company made an error calculating profit margins. This deal was only available for one day to customers and staff alike, and needless to say my store sold out all 2004 models (as they were all dropped ot the same low price).

I've only had one serious trail ride on the bike as it has been raining here nonstop, but it feels great!

Pics will follow as soon as my digital camera gets fixed!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Aaron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.