Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am 6ft 190lbs. I currently ride an Iron Horse Sinister Comp. It has been a great entry bike and have decided to step up. I am in Florida so no climbing and no downhills. Singletrack, very rooty.

I have a Ellsworth Joker XC frame I am considering building up. I am also thinking about selling it and going with the MKIII. The question is will there be an advantage over the Joker XC single pivot on flat, rooty, twisty trails? The Joker XC will have 4" in the rear and a Marathon S 120mm up front. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
140 Posts
the advantages are 1" more travel plus it's gonna pedal alot better than the joker.
oh yeah, the jokers break alot more and ellsworth has sh!tty c.s.
sell it to some other sucka!
i don't own an ells but my #1 riding pal insists on buying them and has broken 3.
MkIII is a WAY better bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply schizzle_dizzle. I know the MKIII has 5" of travel. I don't think that will make much difference where I ride.
How will the MKIII perform better than a single pivot on flat, rooty terrain? If someone that acutally rides one or even a hollowpoint could give their opinon that would be great.
Speedub.nate, Vulcan or any others. Thanks.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Rabid said:
Thanks for the reply schizzle_dizzle. I know the MKIII has 5" of travel. I don't think that will make much difference where I ride.
How will the MKIII perform better than a single pivot on flat, rooty terrain? If someone that acutally rides one or even a hollowpoint could give their opinon that would be great.
Speedub.nate, Vulcan or any others. Thanks.
Like Shizzle says, part of the advantage is in the remarkably smooth pedaling quality of the dw-link, which I'm sure he enjoys just as much on his 7Point.

Point is, you can sit and spin on this bike over some pretty crazy terrain, and not get your spin all jacked up by highs and lows in crank resistance as the suspension works its magic. When everyone says "smooth pedaling", that applies to relatively flat, high speed spinning just as it does to climbing.

But also, you'll enjoy the acceleration of the dw-link. Like a good Horst link suspension, the design of the dw-linkage prevents the bike from leaning back or stiffening up under a high pedal load. It's extremely firm in that the suspension doesn't react to what **you** are doing, yet at the same time, it remains completely compliant, ready to react to whatever terrain you choose to throw under the tires.

·
Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
178 Posts
Go Dw-link

I ride southwest Virginia. That means rocks and roots, rocks and roots, and oh yea throw in year round mud.Even on my"old" 2003 hollowpoint the dw-link does as advertised, just sit and spin. I admit when I first got it, I really had problems setting it up. My fault though, I was trying to make a hard tail from a full sus. Once Ska Todd set me on the righteous path, I know understand it ability. When I come to rough sections, I spin up my cadence, stay in the saddle, and crank. I run Ritchey ZED race tires, which are soft and hook up well. I am always the weak link, the bike stays in touch and can handle all the strength I can muster. Ride all the different designs you want and stay away from the dw-link cause once you ride it you can't go anywhere else.

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Florida rideing

Hey Rabid
I live in the Tampa area and its not all flat rideing were I ride. Alifia, Boyete, Carter Park, The Toe, and when Im in the mode to just spin flats only I ride Morris Bridge-Flatwoods trail. but I must tell you it's not all just flats, I do alot of climbs, and steep ones too, but they arent all that long some maybe 30 to around a 100 feet but still very difficult and still trying to tackle some of them, and let me tell you, I do much better on my 04 HP than i ever had done on my hardtail. also with the down-up sections that just rip and the transitions definetly use up all of the 4.5 inch,s of travel but it does it without ever knowing that you used up all of the suspension. and as for the palm meadow sections that are literally just root,s I just sit and pedal, and so smoothley cruise over them. The Rideing that we have in florida is very good and very technical. As for the peddaling efficiency, It's top of the line, and you do not get any pedal feedback at all and you just keep on rolling. As far as I'm concerned you'r not going to get a better suspension than a DW Link Bike and Definately no better deals than a IronHorse. You get a top line bike with top line components at a very resonable price, Some of the Best priceing available Hands down for what you get it spec'd with. And if you have ever ridden any of the places I've mentiond you could use a 5 inch travel bike and have alot of fun doing it. So the right choice you now should have is to go with the MK-3 Hands down over anything else. and you will not be disappointed.
RIDE ON Jan R
Also just were at in Florida do you ride? Shoot me a message with your email and see if we can hook up for a ride and I will show you were to use up all the travel of the DW link and you shall see that its not all flat.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
If you have to wait until the end of the year - you might want to look into an Iron Horse Azure instead of the Mkiii - it'll be lighter and still be a dw-linked equipped bike.

Just a thought to ponder a bit. Although a Marathon 120 will probably not work so well with an Azure, so in hindsight, maybe an MKiii is the way to go for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jan R & Rabid for FLORIDA riding

I am a Floridian living in the UK but am heading back to the Sunshine state for some holiday. I ordered my IH yesterday and will be looking to pick it up in Florida the week after next. No one in my family rides anymore (at least nothing without a motor on it). Any of you got suggestions for me to ride, or want to hook up, for while I am in Florida (24-30.May)? I will be in Orlando, Titusville and then up just south of Ocala (probably offering the best riding).

PS. I ordered the '04 Hollowpoint Team from RS Cycles. Seemed like good guys as they answered a few questions for me. Finally, they matched the Supergo price but with free shipping!

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
UK Rider said:
I am a Floridian living in the UK but am heading back to the Sunshine state for some holiday. I ordered my IH yesterday and will be looking to pick it up in Florida the week after next. No one in my family rides anymore (at least nothing without a motor on it). Any of you got suggestions for me to ride, or want to hook up, for while I am in Florida (24-30.May)? I will be in Orlando, Titusville and then up just south of Ocala (probably offering the best riding).

PS. I ordered the '04 Hollowpoint Team from RS Cycles. Seemed like good guys as they answered a few questions for me. Finally, they matched the Supergo price but with free shipping!
UK rider I am just east of tampa and i can hook you up with alot of places around the bay area I am about 70 miles west of orlando. go to the trail reviews of florida and check out the alifia river trail boyette trails located about 30 miles south east of tampa and also the carter park- carter road trails in lakeland. If you could get hooked up to a pass for the toe also in lakeland $30 for a memmbership and a pass you can check it out on the ridgeriders.com web site and try and get a pass it's also an awsome place to ride mostly up's and alot of steep drops also have a freeride - stuntland place to ride with lots of ramps and wooden bridges and 2x4's to ride on. It's wicked but I dont ride that stuff, not my style mostly just ride lots of technical cross country trails. shoot me a message with your email and i could maybe hook up for a ride or too. ride on monday and friday mornings as I work night shift monday night through thursday night and am home watching the kid's on the weekend when the wife is at work have a good one and hope to hook up for a ride when you come to Florida
Ride On Jan R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.