Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to check before I order my MkIII Team: The effective top tube on the 17" frame is 22.5" and 23.25" for the 19" frame, right?

The reason I ask is that I went to my local IH dealer today to try the bikes out. Unfortunately the only MkIII in stock was a 15" comp but they had a bunch of Warriors. I looked at the catalog and the TT length (and geometry in general) of the 17" Warrior matched that of the 19" MkIII. I test rode a 17" Warrior for fit and it felt too small for me (5'10") so I borrowed a tape measure and the effective TT was actually 22.5", just like the 17" MkIII is supposed to be. The 19" Warrior was a perfect fit and the effective TT measured out to 23.25".

Anyone have a weight for the MkIII Team. I'll be swapping the saddle for my WTB Rocket V Stealth and the tires for a pair of Kenda Blue Groove 2.1s, otherwise stock.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
actually, the catalog (and correspondingly the website) is wrong, the sizes are off by one size. so the 17" warrior you were riding feels like the 17" mkiii. so you'd be perfect on the 19" mkIII. :cool:

(for the geo grid, just move the warrior specs down by one size. so instead of the 17" having a 23.25" top tube, the 19" has the 23.25" top tube. I will see about us updating the website ASAP.)

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
dante said:
(for the geo grid, just move the warrior specs down by one size. so instead of the 17" having a 23.25" top tube, the 19" has the 23.25" top tube. I will see about us updating the website ASAP.)
Let me know if you need help updating the website specs. It's what I do all day, everyday. It would only take a minute.

I can also probably update the specs in the downloadable PDF catalog.

Or your design firm should be able to these changes quickly and easily.

Just PM me.

Mr. P
KMCREATIVE design

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm 5'10 and recently got a 17" mkiii. I was worried about the stand over height, that's why I got the mkiii. But the cockpit does feel slightly short, even with the saddle back as far as it'll go. I think I can use another 1/2". So I'll be picking up a longer stem soon. Gonna try a 110 or 120 mm stem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey, that's interesting as I'm deciding between a 17 and 19, and i'm also 5'10" and I'm used to a 23" top tube. I notice the seat angle on the MK111 is pretty steep at 73.5 (compared to what I'm used to riding at 72), and and the stock seat pillar Ive seen on the MK111 isnt very laid back. Maybe you could try a seat pillar with more lay back, which would add half an inch to the top tube and take the seat angle back to something like 72. Of course if you don't favour a slacker seat angle this is no good. Good luck sorting out the fit. Hmmm, maybe I should lean toward a 19?

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Patsy said:
hey, that's interesting as I'm deciding between a 17 and 19, and i'm also 5'10" and I'm used to a 23" top tube. I notice the seat angle on the MK111 is pretty steep at 73.5 (compared to what I'm used to riding at 72), and and the stock seat pillar Ive seen on the MK111 isnt very laid back. Maybe you could try a seat pillar with more lay back, which would add half an inch to the top tube and take the seat angle back to something like 72. Of course if you don't favour a slacker seat angle this is no good. Good luck sorting out the fit. Hmmm, maybe I should lean toward a 19?
Try before you buy! After riding the 17" and 19" Warrior (geometry is nearly identical to the MkIII) there's no way in the world i'd spend my money on the 17" MkIII.

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MMcG said:
I'm 5'9" tall and I'd definitely choose a 19" MKiii over a 17" - just throwing my two cents into the mix.
The 17" Warrior felt about the same as my 15" Ventana El Chamuco other than the Ventana's slacker angles and longer stays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.