Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
rider
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started riding the Mountain King 2.4 on the front in moist to mud conditions. Seems to be a pretty good tire. Done a bunch of review searching and no one has directly addressed the sketchiest condition I regularly face in the dry: kitty litter over hardpack. Thinking of laying in a supply for this years riding. I'm going to get a couple of the IRD Fire, and a couple more of the Rampage as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Absolutely sucks on hardpack, the knobs just squirm all over the place producing a very unsettling ride IMHO YMMV.

29erchico said:
Just started riding the Mountain King 2.4 on the front in moist to mud conditions. Seems to be a pretty good tire. Done a bunch of review searching and no one has directly addressed the sketchiest condition I regularly face in the dry: kitty litter over hardpack. Thinking of laying in a supply for this years riding. I'm going to get a couple of the IRD Fire, and a couple more of the Rampage as well.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,988 Posts
i have found that the rampage is the best tire for feel on the desert hardpack I ride. It is more than adequate in the kitty litter over hardpack (concrete like). The smaller the knobs the more squirm in hardpack has been my experience, and while they will cut into the kitty litter top coat they still yield when the reach the hardpack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
29erchico said:
Just started riding the Mountain King 2.4 on the front in moist to mud conditions. Seems to be a pretty good tire. Done a bunch of review searching and no one has directly addressed the sketchiest condition I regularly face in the dry: kitty litter over hardpack. Thinking of laying in a supply for this years riding. I'm going to get a couple of the IRD Fire, and a couple more of the Rampage as well.
What tires have you tried in Chico?

I haven't tried any 29er front tires here besides the Rampage, but I have been very happy with its grip even in the driest and loosest summer conditions.
 

·
rider
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boomn said:
What tires have you tried in Chico?

I haven't tried any 29er front tires here besides the Rampage, but I have been very happy with its grip even in the driest and loosest summer conditions.
The Ramp is a good tire for dry Chico conditions, with one exception: The sidewalls are a bit whimpy. To keep from getting rim strikes I have to run more pressure than is optimum for handling. I have done the glue a tube into the tire thing, then cut out the excess and mount another tube. A Ramp thus modified can be run at lower pressures w/ less rim strike issues & less chance of pinch flatting as well. Kind of a hassle, ends up weighing about the same as a Stout & the Stout is even stickier. I have only run the Stout up front. I'm running the KH 38mm wide rims so sidewall support and volume are about as maximized as one can get, no matter what tire you are running..

I like the all around traction of the Bonti ACX, but they wear really fast when you warp on them hard, and the sidewalls suck. Have not tried the TR ACX, it's sidewalls are supposed to be better. I rip the side knobs off the 29er Nevegals & it's sidewalls are whimpy also.

I'm thinking that the IRD Fire XC Pro with it's anti-snakebite sidewalls might be able to be run at lower pressures than the above mentioned tires. Ran those tires in 26" for nearly 5 years. & loved them, before going to 29". Yes, I may give up a bit of width, but I'm thinking that if the IRD Fire can be run at lower pressures w/o issues I might pick up a bit of extra contact patch area by having a longer contact patch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
29erchico said:
The Ramp is a good tire for dry Chico conditions, with one exception: The sidewalls are a bit whimpy. To keep from getting rim strikes I have to run more pressure than is optimum for handling. I have done the glue a tube into the tire thing, then cut out the excess and mount another tube. A Ramp thus modified can be run at lower pressures w/ less rim strike issues & less chance of pinch flatting as well. Kind of a hassle, ends up weighing about the same as a Stout & the Stout is even stickier. I have only run the Stout up front. I'm running the KH 38mm wide rims so sidewall support and volume are about as maximized as one can get, no matter what tire you are running..

I like the all around traction of the Bonti ACX, but they wear really fast when you warp on them hard, and the sidewalls suck. Have not tried the TR ACX, it's sidewalls are supposed to be better. I rip the side knobs off the 29er Nevegals & it's sidewalls are whimpy also.

I'm thinking that the IRD Fire XC Pro with it's anti-snakebite sidewalls might be able to be run at lower pressures than the above mentioned tires. Ran those tires in 26" for nearly 5 years. & loved them, before going to 29". Yes, I may give up a bit of width, but I'm thinking that if the IRD Fire can be run at lower pressures w/o issues I might pick up a bit of extra contact patch area by having a longer contact patch.
Ah, I have never tried the Rampage in the rear.

Have you considered the Exiwolf for the rear? Its not a light or fast tire but it is big and tough. Grip is decent for a rear tire. I have an unused spare if you want to try one
 

·
rider
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boomn said:
Ah, I have never tried the Rampage in the rear.

Have you considered the Exiwolf for the rear? Its not a light or fast tire but it is big and tough. Grip is decent for a rear tire. I have an unused spare if you want to try one
Thanks for the offer, but I do not like them. I have been burning thru 8 to12 29er tires a year since '03, when I went to 29" wheels. Yes , I do ride a bit, but I also toss (or give away) a tire before most riders would. I like lots of predictable grip and the Exi's fall short there. They are fairly big and tough & ok in the rear, granted, but no fun to be had when you are worrying that your tire is going to wash out.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Hrrumph........squirmy knobs? Maybe a tad, but I haven't noticed anything of the sort in my rides on it. And we get concrete hard trail conditions here regularly. Oh yeah.....that reminds me, I can lean that MK over on pavement with no issues, so I guess it's maybe just me, eh?

In my mind, I'd rather have a knob with a bit of flex and grip than a hard knob that didn't give at all. Also, I wanted to add that my desert ride in El Paso didn't show any ill effects with the MK either, and I had it on a single speed. The year before I used a Michelin AT XC down there and it showed damage to the knobs which I didn't see on the MK's.

In terms of sidewalls, the MK's seem a bit better than most in that regard.

I don't expect that you'll agree, but that's cool. I just want ya'all to know that it isn't everyone's experience with the MK treads.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
bigtymerider said:
Would it work in the mud?
Most mud, maybe.......yes. I judge mud performance based upon running tires in pure black river bottom silt. Stuff only found here in the Mid-West and on the steppes of Russia. It is sticky, sticky, sticky! Probably the only stuff found anywhere else that comes close is clay, which we also have around here.

The very best tires I have found for mud are the Michelin XC AT 29"er tires. The MK's come close, maybe about 60% of the Michelins performance, which is pretty respectable.

No other tire I have tried comes close to those two in the mud.
 

·
dtheo
Joined
·
232 Posts
small knobs squirm?

Are you sure? I find bigger knobs squirm more on hardpack. Try a Weirwolf, Nano, SB8 on hardpack - that is what they are for. They don't squirm but they don't have a ton of traction in loose stuff.

DT

rockcrusher said:
i have found that the rampage is the best tire for feel on the desert hardpack I ride. It is more than adequate in the kitty litter over hardpack (concrete like). The smaller the knobs the more squirm in hardpack has been my experience, and while they will cut into the kitty litter top coat they still yield when the reach the hardpack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
The WTB Stout is by far the best front tire I've tried in loose over hardpack in So Cal at least. It tracks really well no matter what gets thrown at me. It worked really well with a weirwolf in the back. The stout in the back was great too but definitely made the bike slower.
The Weirwolf while I love for its cushyness makes the front end really dicey in loose over hardpack. Guess this doesn't answer your question about the MK, but for what its worth I've heard a lot of good things from people around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
MKs suck on loose over hardpack and straight hardpack. I rode a 2.4 up front for one ride here in Tucson and dumoed it for an Ardent. The Maxxis is was better than the MK, but I don't like it as much as the Rampage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
dtheo said:
Are you sure? I find bigger knobs squirm more on hardpack. Try a Weirwolf, Nano, SB8 on hardpack - that is what they are for. They don't squirm but they don't have a ton of traction in loose stuff.

DT
I think he means small tallish knobs can squirm (as in flex) on hardpack. The MK 2.4 tread is quite tall compared to the knobs' base. The Rampage knobs are fairly deep but broader and do fine on hardpack.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Hrrumph........squirmy knobs? Maybe a tad, but I haven't noticed anything of the sort in my rides on it. And we get concrete hard trail conditions here regularly. Oh yeah.....that reminds me, I can lean that MK over on pavement with no issues, so I guess it's maybe just me, eh?

In my mind, I'd rather have a knob with a bit of flex and grip than a hard knob that didn't give at all. Also, I wanted to add that my desert ride in El Paso didn't show any ill effects with the MK either, and I had it on a single speed. The year before I used a Michelin AT XC down there and it showed damage to the knobs which I didn't see on the MK's.

In terms of sidewalls, the MK's seem a bit better than most in that regard.

I don't expect that you'll agree, but that's cool. I just want ya'all to know that it isn't everyone's experience with the MK treads.
Tire pressure (and rim width) can have a big affect on knob squirm on hard pack. You need to find that sweet-spot where there is enough give for traction and firmness for support.
 

·
rider
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shiggy said:
Tire pressure (and rim width) can have a big affect on knob squirm on hard pack. You need to find that sweet-spot where there is enough give for traction and firmness for support.
Shiggy: What width rim are you liking the MK 2.4 on for squirm free hardpack riding & what pressure are you running? I currently have one on a KH Uni rim up front and it goes 61/56mm tread/casing width at 26 psi. Very solid on the current large Sycamore leaves over moist that I am dealing with now.

Thinking of making my Rhyno rimmed (27.5mm wide) wheelset my winter set and going with the MK 2.4 front and either a Michelin XC AT on the rear or an IRD Fire xc pro. Could stick with the KH wheel front and switch to the Rhyno rear wheel on the rear of course...

Thanks all for the input!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
29erchico said:
Shiggy: What width rim are you liking the MK 2.4 on for squirm free hardpack riding & what pressure are you running? I currently have one on a KH Uni rim up front and it goes 61/56mm tread/casing width at 26 psi. Very solid on the current large Sycamore leaves over moist that I am dealing with now.

Thinking of making my Rhyno rimmed (27.5mm wide) wheelset my winter set and going with the MK 2.4 front and either a Michelin XC AT on the rear or an IRD Fire xc pro. Could stick with the KH wheel front and switch to the Rhyno rear wheel on the rear of course...

Thanks all for the input!
I was not talking specifically of the MK. My most recent experience was with the 26x2.35 Kenda King of Traction. On a 23mm rim it was scary, like riding on ice. On a 28mm rim the tread is squared off and it handles very well and only slightly squirms in hard surfaces.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top