Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yo, here are some pictures of a garage project townie bike I'm making for a friend. It's constructed with aircraft spruce tubing (with the coating sanded off), it's going to be an 18 speed, and put together with old / old looking parts. Hope you like. BTW, this is my first post. I've been reading up on the forum and absorbing a lot of good info recently, so here's a thank you / contribution.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
That's some really nice fabrication. The townie is a cool present for your friend. How'd you get the milling machine into the basement; aren't they a little heavy for the homeowner?

Drew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Here's a picture of the jig unloaded. It was made by a friend of mine for his senior project and it's on indefinite loan to me in exchange for some fab work I've done for him (welding of two single pivot mtb's of his design). I've never used another jig, but it seems like the setup is an excellent way to locate the heights of the BB, dropouts, and head tube. The only downsides I've noticed are that it's difficult to access the "backside" of the tubes during tacking, and the arms that locate the head tube and seat tube can pull off the backing plate if you're careless with the tacking order, they're only fixed near the pivots. And the shop's in a garage, not a basement, so I was able to roll the mill in through the truck door.

Attachments

·
Braaaapp!
477 Posts
That jig looks BEEFY. Frame looks like it's going to turn out nice.

Now the real question - what's the story on the long travel, 3.4 four cam conversion Toyota? I like the XR500 too, that has to be one of the ugliest bikes made!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have any files or prints for the jig, and I don't really want to ask for them to distribute them via the internet, sorry. The concept of course is up for grabs if you wanted to design your own, design time will be a drop in the bucket compared to build time.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.