Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike started life as a Bridgestone Kabuki 10 speed road bike in the late 1960's. I rescued it from a friend who was planning on throwing it away because she was moving across the state. I stripped it down and repainted it after deciding that it would make a neat fixed gear greenway bike for my wife. The color is a cliche pink but once I get some graphics on it I think it'll look okay.

I haven't gotten it put back together yet but I'm excited so I'm going to go ahead and post pictures of the bike in pieces.

Love on it, hate on it, let me know what you think...

The other bits include:

• Knock-off north road handlebars with vintage looking rubber grips (I really like these even though they weigh a ton)
• IRO crankset, chainring (46T), and BB
• IRO 18T cog (also have a spare 16T)
• New chain
• New brake levers, cables, and housings
• cheapo Ebay wheelset
• Original saddle (which is in remarkably awesome condition for being 40+ y/o)
• Original stem
• Original seatpost (a weird "quill" type since there is no way to use a clamp on the frame)
• Original brake calipers
• Original pedals (for now, I'm trying to convince her to go clipless)

I'll post some more pictures once I get this pile of parts put back together into a ridable bicycle.

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the positive comments! We're getting some clipless pedals for it soon.

I had some decals made. Now it's the Pink TaCoCycle! (completely inappropriate I know.) TaCo is a hypocorism for my wife because her [married] name is Tabatha Cooper.

I couldn't get the lighting right inside but here are some crappy pics of the new decals. Custom cut purple sparkle vinyl. Nice.

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nubcake said:
haha, thats crazy its sprung so soft.
40+ years of people sitting on it may have softened the springs a bit. :D

Actually, the saddle in in insanely good condition for being the original from the late 60's. I'm 99% sure it's original because it has "Kabuki" (the original name of the bike) silk screened across the back of it.

Thanks again for all the nice comments. I am so building a "his" version of this bike for myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own this bike now!!!! I am completely rebuilding it at Joe Bike Collective. I needed to build something that would work on the hills to and from downtown and that fit my personality. Once I saw the pink tacocycle I was in love!!!!!!

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome! Glad to hear that it is still around and that someone will soon get some enjoyment from riding it. I just assumed that after I gave it to a friend that the decals would be stripped from it. Pedal on!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.