Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tenya Laybacker
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding again last year after a fifteen year hiatus. My last mtb was an 82' stumpjumper. I now have a 05' SJ FSR expert. I love the bike and have started to ride a lot more technical terrain. Often wet, rooty , ladders, skinnys and steep. The adreniline tires that came with the bike are a bit worn down and have acouple of broken knobs. I have liked the tires ,but I don't have much to compare them to. I have noticed that the rear slips out somtimes on super steep climbs and on wet roots and logs. The front has started to slip out on really steep off camber decents. They roll really well at 35lbs ,but are slow at 28lbs.
I was thinking of getting the Kenda Nevagel as a replacment. 2.35 stick-e front and 2.1 DTC rear. What do you think. Should I go 2.35 stick-e all around? What other tires would fit me . I am 165lbs in gear and ride mostly in the PNW.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
old crank said:
I started riding again last year after a fifteen year hiatus. My last mtb was an 82' stumpjumper. I now have a 05' SJ FSR expert. I love the bike and have started to ride a lot more technical terrain. Often wet, rooty , ladders, skinnys and steep. The adreniline tires that came with the bike are a bit worn down and have acouple of broken knobs. I have liked the tires ,but I don't have much to compare them to. I have noticed that the rear slips out somtimes on super steep climbs and on wet roots and logs. The front has started to slip out on really steep off camber decents. They roll really well at 35lbs ,but are slow at 28lbs.
I was thinking of getting the Kenda Nevagel as a replacment. 2.35 stick-e front and 2.1 DTC rear. What do you think. Should I go 2.35 stick-e all around? What other tires would fit me . I am 165lbs in gear and ride mostly in the PNW.

Thanks for looking.
On the front, the Nevegal works best in loose conditions, so if the riding you do includes everything except that, the Blue Groove sticky would be a bit better choice.

I've used a Nev on the rear for a while on my playbike (mostly DH), but for climbing, the ramped knobs of the Nev mean you have to choose between braking or climbing traction. An NBX 2.3 might be a better rear tire choice, actually around the same width as the Nev 2.1, but traction in all directions, and happens to be only 650g. There are other tires that will work too, but my point is ramped-tread tires are not my choice for the rear on a bike that has to climb as well as go down.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Lots of good choices out there. If you wanted to stay with Specialized the Enduro Pro would be a good pick. Available in 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4, softer dual compound rubber (better in the wet) and more agressive tread than the Adrenaline.

Running a bigger tire on the front is common and works well for most riders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.